The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I'm wanting to get started in magic...I need some help. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Markothegame
View Profile
New user
england
17 Posts

Profile of Markothegame
Hi, I'm new to magic and I need some help. I have a few tricks, I have a brainwave deck and a vanisher.

But I want to learn some skills, so if you could help me with where to start, I would be greatful. Smile
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
To start you off I'd recommend two books, namely:

The Royal Road to Card Magic
Modern Coin Magic

They both offer a large source of information and "skills" to get your teeth into. If after that you find that you wish to expand your horizons I'd recommend

Expert Card Technique
Expert At the Card Table

Hope that helps.
cyc
View Profile
New user
Montreal
57 Posts

Profile of cyc
Hi,

There are a lot of people who recommend Card College. Most say that it is better than Royal Road to Card Magic, however, it is a collection of 4 volumes and each volume is around 20$ (not sure about the price).

Good luck.
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
216 Posts

Profile of Ronin
Hi,

Welcome to magic!

It would help to know what your interests are, even at this early date. Do you even LIKE cards? Coins? Do you want to learn stage magic? Illusions? Mentalism?

I got a lot out of the Bill Tarr "Now You See It, Now You Don't" books, for getting a start on sleight of hand. They'll give you a start on basics for cards, coins, balls AND thimbles, and you can move on from there with "Royal Road to Card Magic" or "Modern Coin Magic." "Card College" is terrific, but "Royal Road" will give you a great start if your budget is tight.

Good luck!
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
Markothegame
View Profile
New user
england
17 Posts

Profile of Markothegame
I love to watch card and coin magic any close up magic really
Priest
View Profile
New user
NYC
100 Posts

Profile of Priest
One thing I've realized is that likeing to WATCH magic, and then being the one who DOES the magic, knowing the secrets, is two totally different things.

When you WATCH, you are mystified and amazed, but when you are the magician and you SHOW the magic, you already know the secrets. This is when you have to get your joy from entertaining others, and getting a good response.

Anyway, a great book that I think would help you is called "Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic." It covers everything: cards, coins, sponge balls, etc.

I practice "street magic" so most of my stuff is cards, coins, or small gimmicks. This book definitely got me started again and taught me a lot of great tricks to present.

Also, it's inexpensive. Good luck!

~Priest~
"Funk is not something U can buy at the corner store.
It is something that U find deep within Ur Soul!"
.:The One Year Project:. .:Forums:.
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
If you want a very good beginner book on magic get a copy of the MARK WILSON ENCYCLOPEDIA OF MAGIC, it's only around $25 or $30. It's got some really good stuff in it. This book is a dream book for the beginner to intermediate student. Get some sponge balls, some rope, a few discarded decks and some coins to go with it. This is the book you want... Smile

The above mentioned are on the right path also. Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Books, videos, CDs.
You can get totally bogged down in them.
Both Magicman and James Owen make good points.
After more than 50 years in the business, I would still highly recommend the Mark Wilson Complete Course in Magic (His Encyclopedia of Magic is a shortened version of the same thing, if I'm not mistaken; either one is good).
And self-working material is ideal to start out with.
Don't narrow your field of interest too much in the early years; there's lots of time for that later.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
589 Posts

Profile of wayman
Mark, Ive said this before....

You live in England,

go to the library and check out the magic section. you will find out what kind of magic suits you before you spend all your money on tricks and books, all for the price of a library ticket.

I live in Sunderland and our library is quite big. bear in mind though that they won't be the latest books but Old is New in magic.
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Yo Mark!

I would suggest "Now You See it, Now you don't" by Bill Tarr. AND (to agree with Wayman's really good advice), it might be at your library!

Also, you're going into magic with a great attitude for learning! I'm fairly new myself, and I had an attitude similar to yours....And since I'm such a cool dude (Lol!), it all makes sense that you're gonna be killer! Smile Smile Smile

Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
Monkey
View Profile
New user
Canada
12 Posts

Profile of Monkey
Mark, you say that you like close-up eh...
I started by getting some packet tricks like Twisted Sisters and Alien Autopsy. They teach some basic card handling skills like Elmsley count, plus they're knock out tricks.

A good book for cards is 'Cut Counts Moves and Subtlety' I can't remember off-hand who wrote it, but it's really good. It made card-ninja master Hyah! Smile

After you learn some cards and coins check out other things like invisible thread (I started as a card-only man, but then I tried I.T. and found that I liked it more and so I'm learning close-up parlor magic. I find it more fun to perform!) All I can say is try everything!
James Owen
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of James Owen
Hi Markothegame, how are you doing. I am James Owen and am 21 and just starting out in magic myself, I read Paul Daniels Autobiography then I was hooked so here are some of the books that I have bought they are

The Royal Road to Card Magic
Learn magic Henry Hay
Karl Fulves Self Working Close Up Card Magic
Karl Fulves More Self Working Card Magic
Karl Fulves Self Working Coin Magic
Karl Fulves Self Working Rope Magic

I hope this helps

Best Regards

James Owen

Smile Smile
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Hi Mark

Get Michael Ammar videos if you can. He has 6 videos on card miracles or his money miracles. They cost about 30 dollars each. He thoroughly explains everything on each trick. Paul Harris also has some excellent videos out on card magic or try card videos by Daryl. Hope this helps you out.
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Peter, your correct the Complete Course is the large hardbound version with more material, the encyclopedia is the smaller (thick) version with just a little material cut from it. Thanks for bringing that up. Smile

Another book that you might want to consider picking up is "The Amateur Magician's Handbook" by Henry Hay. This book has a little of everything, and is a nice addition to any collection for the beginner or even more advanced magician. This book also will teach you some sleight of hand, which will help you out when you forget those packet tricks and only have some loose change in your pocket. Smile

And you have all the talent at the Magic Cafe to help you out with just a click of the button! Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Counts Cuts Moves and Subtlety is by Jerry Mentzer, it is worth having on the bookshelf. Along with "Outs Precautions and Challenges" by Hopkins - worth learning that stuff EARLY.

I wouldn't start buying packet tricks until you've read my next book all about packet tricks Smile

Spend your initial money on books rather than tricks and your repertoire and knowledge will incease quicker!

Paul.
magiciandude
View Profile
New user
Utah
67 Posts

Profile of magiciandude
My suggestion is that you purchase a video called Off The Cuff. It is a great impromptu close up magic video. And it has a great vanish to it you need to check it out.

Hope my words were of some help.
Lance R. Wilson
Magic is the psychology of the audience.
-Lance Wilson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I'm wanting to get started in magic...I need some help. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL