The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Bill Spooner Ambitious Card Move- Topper? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
There's a move where you apparantly show the face of the ambitious card sticking out of the middle of the deck. You then push it in with one finger.What you really show(and push in) is the top card. I believe it's called topper. Is it just me or is this a fairly difficult move to get down. My index finger(pushing down the middle card) seems to block the top card from being pushed up. Also, I often push up a block of two or three cards rather than just the top card. The cards stick. Any thoughts on this m ove? Any way to overcome these little hurdles. And lastly, do you think it's deceptive doing it very close-up for a spectator.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
My advice would be to try and think of it as two seperate movements. On the first beat use all four fingers to push the card sticking out the middle, (not just the index finger) flush with the rest of the deck. On the second beat use the thumb to pull the top card off the front of the deck and grasp it with the fingers. It should be done fairly quickly and the two movements are covered by the deck being moved from a face down position to being tilted up to show the spectators the face of the card.

On another note, I think 'Topper' is a useful move (Frank Garcia's I think) although I'm not sure that I would ever use it in an ambitious card routine. I don't think it would stand up to that level of scrutiny.

Jay Sankey has a lot of good work using it, 'Group Hypnosis' and 'The Magnet Card' spring to mind.

It's a funny one 'Topper'. Although I see it's value I've never been all that comfortable with it myself as far as performing it is concerned. I think there are too many 'grey areas' and it doesn't look as natural as perhaps it should.

My two bob's worth!

Dave.
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
I love moves like this one you need B@#$ to do this one, Idon't think it should be used on its own though. It lends itself to a routine suc as the magnet card.
Jonathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Bill Spooner Ambitious Card Move- Topper? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL