The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Jung, Tarot, and Readings? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lemonjug
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of lemonjug
Are there any books on how to give readings using Jungian interpretations of the tarot cards?

All I can find are books explaining that certain cards represent certain archetypes, but little to explain how to give a reading based on that.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
There have been several attempts to create 'Jungian' Tarot decks. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Jungian-Tarot-Arc......71559112

Jung himself didn't say or know much about the tarot, although he recognized that the cards represented archetypal principles - he was much more interested and experienced with the I Ching.

Mike
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Tarot and the Archetypal Journey, the Jungian Path from Darkness to Light by Sallie Nichols
lemonjug
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of lemonjug
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2023, Michael Daniels wrote:
There have been several attempts to create 'Jungian' Tarot decks. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Jungian-Tarot-Arc......71559112

Jung himself didn't say or know much about the tarot, although he recognized that the cards represented archetypal principles - he was much more interested and experienced with the I Ching.

Mike

Thanks, Mike!
lemonjug
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of lemonjug
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2023, Mr. Mindbender wrote:yp

Tarot and the Archetypal Journey, the Jungian Path from Darkness to Light by Sallie Nichols

Thanks Mindbender!

The first chapter of Nichols' book is available on Amazon's kindle site. Can you tell me if it teaches how to do a reading with the cards. The impression I get is that it explains what the cards mean (which archetypes each card represents), but doesn't go on to explain how to give a reading.

I've no idea how that would work. I don't have any real knowledge of ordinary tarot readings, but I understand that, for instance, three cards can be dealt and these can be used to give a reading about the past, present, and the future. How would that work with a Jungian approach? I don't imagine that a reader taking a Jungian approach would merely reveal that, for instance, the querent was ruled by the trickster archetype in the past, is currently ruled by the father archetype, and will be ruled by the hero archetype in the future. I've no idea how it would work, so I wonder if the Nichols book goes beyond merely stating which archetypes the cards relate to.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Hi Lemonjub,

You're right, most of the book is about the card meanings. There is a very last chapter called "On spreading the cards" which goes over system the author uses to do a reading for herself. But yes, the majority of the book is more about card meanings fro a Jungian perspective.

To give you a sense of the content in the last chapter, here is the first paragraph --

"In the previous chapters we discussed the symbolism of the Tarot and suggested some techniques for using the cards to help us in our daily lives. Another way to use the Tarot for personal insight and growth is to spread and "read" the cards. When reading the cards, we ask a questions, then deal a specific number of cards in a given pattern and study their symbolism and relationship to one another in order to find an answer to our question. Here, we shall discuss the philosophical implications of spreading the cards, some techniques for interpreting their answers, and suggest one method of laying out the cards for this purpose."

Hope that helps!
lemonjug
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of lemonjug
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2023, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
Hi Lemonjub,

You're right, most of the book is about the card meanings. There is a very last chapter called "On spreading the cards" which goes over system the author uses to do a reading for herself. But yes, the majority of the book is more about card meanings fro a Jungian perspective.

To give you a sense of the content in the last chapter, here is the first paragraph --

"In the previous chapters we discussed the symbolism of the Tarot and suggested some techniques for using the cards to help us in our daily lives. Another way to use the Tarot for personal insight and growth is to spread and "read" the cards. When reading the cards, we ask a questions, then deal a specific number of cards in a given pattern and study their symbolism and relationship to one another in order to find an answer to our question. Here, we shall discuss the philosophical implications of spreading the cards, some techniques for interpreting their answers, and suggest one method of laying out the cards for this purpose."

Hope that helps!

Thanks very much, Mindbender! Yes, that's very helpful indeed. I think I'll pick up the kindle edition.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Psycards are based on Jungian archetypes, but they aren't Tarot cards. There are 40 symbol cards and no suits. They seem to be unavailable at the moment, though, the website is "under construction" and the Facebook group seems to have gone quiet.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Anyone interested in seeing the Psycards images can view them with this reading practice tool.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
lemonjug
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of lemonjug
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2023, mindmagic wrote:
Psycards are based on Jungian archetypes, but they aren't Tarot cards. There are 40 symbol cards and no suits. They seem to be unavailable at the moment, though, the website is "under construction" and the Facebook group seems to have gone quiet.

Thanks, Mindbender. What exactly is a reading with these cards like? Is the purpose to identify which archetypes rule the 'querent'? I assume the purppose isn't to tell the future.

Thanks again.
lemonjug
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of lemonjug
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2023, ddyment wrote:
Anyone interested in seeing the Psycards images can view them with this reading practice tool.

Cheers, Doug!
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2023, lemonjug wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, Mindbender. What exactly is a reading with these cards like? Is the purpose to identify which archetypes rule the 'querent'? I assume the purppose isn't to tell the future.

Thanks again.

No, Psycards are used in a very similar way to Tarot cards.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I have used the PSYcards in my psychological reading technique. The obvious imagery and printed titles on each card means that the querent knows what each card stands for.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
lemonjug
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of lemonjug
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2023, mindmagic wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2023, lemonjug wrote:
Quote:

Thanks again.

No, Psycards are used in a very similar way to Tarot cards.

Thanks, MindMagic.
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2023, lemonjug wrote:
Are there any books on how to give readings using Jungian interpretations of the tarot cards?

All I can find are books explaining that certain cards represent certain archetypes, but little to explain how to give a reading based on that.

There is a book by Lewis L Val on this subject.
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I have a hand made deck that has great success for its teaching.
I may release a commercial version very soon. You can get on the mailing list to be notified if you like.
I have curated the best of how to give a reading and spend less time on the meaning of the cards as they are pretty standard.

It will definitely shorten any learning curve Smile

http://mrdarkness.com/THOFT/
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
a.single.V
View Profile
New user
Hanoi Vietnam
87 Posts

Profile of a.single.V
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2023, Maxyedid wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2023, lemonjug wrote:

There is a book by Lewis L Val on this subject.

Can you tell me the name of the book please? I am a huge fan of Le Val and would love another read from him.
rrubin98
View Profile
Veteran user
Cogito, ergo sum scripsit
358 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
Quote:
Can you tell me the name of the book please? I am a huge fan of Le Val and would love another read from him.

Book of Mirrors by Lewis Le Val
a.single.V
View Profile
New user
Hanoi Vietnam
87 Posts

Profile of a.single.V
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2023, rrubin98 wrote:
Quote:

Book of Mirrors by Lewis Le Val

Thank you very much! I will have a look at it. Le Val has never disappointed me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Jung, Tarot, and Readings? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL