The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Thought Wings Onward, and We Miss You, Eddie Clever (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nelsoni
View Profile
New user
U.S.A.
11 Posts

Profile of Nelsoni
48 years ago this week, on March 15, 1975, Eddie Clever left us, dying at the age of 70.
Following a career in show business, Eddie went to work for Uncle Sam as a career civil servant, until illness forced him to retire in 1947.
Eddie had been very active in the I.B.M. on the staff of Linking Ring magazine, editing the Hocus Pocus Parade section for over 30 years. The I.B.M. Ring in Harrisburg, PA is named for him.
Eddie was important to me as the author of "Thought Wings Onward."
This was his work on mentalism based on his columns in The Tops magazine from February to December 1938, subsequently expanded and published by Abbott's Magic Company as a standalone book in 1945. His is a very old-school view of mentalism, but it was an important part of my education as a teenage mentalist in the mid-1970s.
Here's a brief sample from Chapter Two, "Something About Qualifying":
"From personal experience, as well as from observation of others, I have learned that it is almost fundamentally necessary that the mentalist have a thorough knowledge of mentalism, mysticism, occultism and all the other subjects that are allied with those named. And they are many and varied. You should have a well-rounded education and a 'wee bit 'o that thing called culture.'"
Boy, did I feel overwhelmed as a 14-year-old aspiring mentalist to read that paragraph! But at the same time it inspired me. He was one of my mentalism heroes, along with Bob Nelson, Al Koran and good ol' Kreskin.
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Thank you for sharing
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What's with all the death celebrations posts/threads? Is there nothing mentalism to discuss anymore? Have all the mentalists left?
Thomas Henry
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1410 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
Thank-you, Nelsoni, for providing that great overview. I never knew much about the man himself, but of course well remember reading his cogent comments back in the 1960s.

I always thought Eddie was a great Parade editor. Indeed, often his comments following each routine contained all sorts of useful tips or further extensions that were just as valuable as what the writers themselves submitted. He seemed to have an encyclopedic knowledge of our craft.

Thomas Henry
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

Curious who I am? See my quick video bio.
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Thomas Henry welcome back! I’m glad you are here.
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
Milo&Tock
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Milo&Tock
Thanks for this, a nice memorial and a nice reminder for me to pull out my copy and reread it!
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Excellent book that is still available.

GO HERE:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124401396165?ha......zTzvCZYg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Thought Wings Onward, and We Miss You, Eddie Clever (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL