The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Magic with Insects ???? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2023, Wravyn wrote:
I also remember a sponge ladybugs... https://youtu.be/RdoW_Wub95I

I do not see these available anymore, but one could cut some sponge balls in half, use some black sharpie to make dots and create their own lady bugs, also, if one is good at crafting something from a sponge ball, perhaps use a purple sponge ball and make it into a flower(?).
I imagine a story about the lady bug going from here to there... the spectator is given the flower to hold and the lady bug... you get the idea.
But how to do the ending? Do you remember the nursery rhyme?

http://nurseryrhymesforbabies.com/the-hi......ladybug/

Nice work, encore!

That’s a sweet little routine. The nursery rhyme calls out for a flash finale… Pyrotechnics and sponge balls. Now there’s a combination!

Somehow your creative thinking is cross-pollinating; i’m thinking of using small flower pots for a cups and balls variants. With a little ball made from straw. And a piece of bamboo cane for a wand. With a final load. Of straw. And earwigs.

I’ve never worked with earwigs. And so far haven’t uncovered their representation anywhere in conjuring… Quite challenging to wrangle as they move very quickly.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Small flower pots for cups using Roly-Poly bugs. The final load is used as an educational tool, they are not really bugs, they are a crustacean. As you tip each flower pot over... These are bugs! Your final loads are earwigs, a hissing cockroach, and perhaps a Pseudoscorpion or Whip Scorpion (though these are arachnids).
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
Pseudoscorpions? Now there’s an ambitious wish. I’ve only encountered one once, sitting on top of a box in my garage. One of their other names, ‘chelifer’, is one of my favourite words.

I do get a bit obsessed with making clear the difference between arachnids, crustaceans, myriapods etc. And ‘bugs’ which, as you know, are technically an order, Hemiptera. Dorsally flattened and biting/sucking mouthparts.

Schools miss a trick when they talk about ‘mini-beasts’ and bugs. Great opportunity to help children appreciate nature and correct taxonomy…

P.S. Never work with bed bugs or assassin bugs….

P.P.S. Roly-poly crustaceans: Woodlice [definitely not lice] have more folk names than any other creature I know of…. Pill bugs, cheese logs, cheese pigs, butcher boys, chugging wigs, granny grunters, monkey peas… We could go on…. And probably will…. (:
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Though discontinued, here is another insect item...
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S18244
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
Yuck
Anemoi
View Profile
New user
Cambridge, MA
53 Posts

Profile of Anemoi
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2023, Russo wrote:
Yuck

The kids actually love the Dung Beetles. The Black Fox shells are very well made. You can occasionally find them on the big auction site.
If only the School for Scoundrels Perfect Peas came in brown or black!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Dr Dee, I found another insect trick... It is called "WOW" METAMORPHOSIS by Garvey and Alexander. Copyright 1984
On business card stock 4 caterpillers and 4 cocoons are shown. The caterpillars then change into butterflies.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Magic with Insects ???? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL