The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Simple Arithmetic presentation by Dai Vernon (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Out of sight, out of mind is a stong effect. It is an effect that I have seen splitting magicians in two, there are those who think it is not that good of a trick and then there are those who really like it. I have gotten some quite strong reactions with this trick so I think objectively looking at how most spectators react to it, it has to be a good trick. However it suffers also from a weakness that the original description it the book does not solve to my satisfaction. It does not give a justification for WHY you are asking them to look for their card immediately after having them think of a card. This action in my opinion should be justified because otherwise it makes no sense. There are some justifications I have seen people use, one has been that you show them the cards to make sure that no trickery has happened and that their card is still in the deck. I have tried this way and found it not so good. Because there is no reason why it would no longer be in the deck. Unless you do some action ala Slydini that makes the spectators doubt whether you took the card out or not, there is no reason to tell them that you want them to make sure the card is still in the deck.

Michael Vincent has a different approach to this, where he asks the spectator to take a hold of his hand has he spreads through the cards and he says he will try to read signals coming from their hand as the spectator looks at the cards, muscle reading, to get information about their card. This is a justified reason for having the spectator look at the cards. However in my opinion it gets rid of one flaw and replaces it with another. The flaw here is that you are saying that you are getting information about their card via them looking at their card, which is what you are actually doing. Even though you are not doing it with muscle reading, but instead based on their response to the question or statement that they have seen their card already, it is still similar to the actual method, you are actually getting information about their card by having them look at the cards. I feel like this action of having them look at the cards has to not be associated with you getting any information about their card.

So here is the way I have been doing this effec: I do the same thing as in the vernon trick at the beginning, they think of a card, I shuffle the cards. Next I tell them I am trying to read their mind. I spread the cards towards myself and I go through, take one card out and put it face down on the table. Now I tell the spectator "if I really did take out your card, it would mean that your card is no longer in the deck, right?". Now I spread and I say "look and confirm that your card is no longer in the deck" as I do the basic Vernon sequence. If they tell me that they saw their card, I stop and say "oh you did see your card?, Really". I cut the deck. Next I draw attention to the card on the table and say "But I did tell you that this card on the table would be your card", then I turn over the card on the table and it is a joker "and technically speaking the joker as a wild card can substitute for any other card". At this point there are two different version I do of this trick. In version 1 I will do the same thing as vernon did but instead of feeling for the card and stopping randomly, I take cards from the deck to spell the name "joker". At the end I ask them what their card is and proceed as in the vernon version to reveal their card where we stopped the deal at. The second version can go two ways. In way 1 the ending is the same in how it looks to the first version, cards are dealt down and the thought of card is found where we stop the deal. However, 1 out of 3 times this outcome will occur: I deal the cards and stop after dealing "JOKER" and ask what their card is. They name their card and I say "it would be a good trick if this card where we stopped at would be our card, however at the beginning I promised you that the card I put on the table will be your card, I know it was a joke, but I am not joking now. Turn it over. They turn over the "joker" and it is now their thought of card.
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
Vernon only mentions Bridge because bridge hands are 13 cards and he wanted to get 13 cards in play. You don't have to mention Bridge. If you want to mention a card game, feel free to use Bridge, or even use Hearts or Spades which also use 13 card hands. You can also just say "Let's use a quarter of the deck. There's 52 cards in a deck. Do you know what a quarter of 52 is?" All this does is get 13 cards in play, so they can think of one of those 13 cards.

Since asking for the number is what is bothering you about the trick, here's a scripting option for you to ask for the number. "Do you still remember your card and where it was located? Don't tell me the card but tell me where it was. 5? *Spread over 5 cards from the top of the deck* It's not the 5th card right? That's because I shuffled the deck behind my back/Under the table." This gives justification to ask for the number, so you can prove that you shuffled under the table and it's no longer there. This would also provide some time misdirection, between when you asked for the number and when you do the reveal.

Here's another script option. Honestly, I'd probably use this one rather than the above. The above feels like running without being chased.

"Concentrate on your card. Do you still remember where your card was located? Don't tell me the card, but tell me where was it? *Repeat the number* 5. Hrmm I'm not sure if this will work but we'll try it. Watch, by turning my hand over, it sounds foolish, but a card has turned over in the middle of the deck."

Spread the cards, revealing the faceup 2 of whatever. If it's the 2, you have a minor miracle. If it's not the 2. "Hmmm. The 2 of whatever. That card is my buddy and it's telling me something. It said I should have done of a different trick. I'm kidding but this 2 is telling me your card is close." Then follow the Vernon cheat sheet for your outs.

If you are going to use a stack, IMO, there's no point in doing this trick, because you'll have much better reveals with your stack. My favorite stack reveal is an oldy and so simple once your stack is memorized. Have someone cut 10-20 cards, look at the card they cut, and then shuffle. Proceed to call your stack back in order and say "The 4 of clubs.... that's not your card, please hand it to me." Repeat until they have just one card and your stack is back in order.
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
Quote:
On May 28, 2023, 1tepa1 wrote:
Out of sight, out of mind is a stong effect. It is an effect that I have seen splitting magicians in two, there are those who think it is not that good of a trick and then there are those who really like it. I have gotten some quite strong reactions with this trick so I think objectively looking at how most spectators react to it, it has to be a good trick. However it suffers also from a weakness that the original description it the book does not solve to my satisfaction. It does not give a justification for WHY you are asking them to look for their card immediately after having them think of a card. This action in my opinion should be justified because otherwise it makes no sense. There are some justifications I have seen people use, one has been that you show them the cards to make sure that no trickery has happened and that their card is still in the deck. I have tried this way and found it not so good. Because there is no reason why it would no longer be in the deck. Unless you do some action ala Slydini that makes the spectators doubt whether you took the card out or not, there is no reason to tell them that you want them to make sure the card is still in the deck.

Michael Vincent has a different approach to this, where he asks the spectator to take a hold of his hand has he spreads through the cards and he says he will try to read signals coming from their hand as the spectator looks at the cards, muscle reading, to get information about their card. This is a justified reason for having the spectator look at the cards. However in my opinion it gets rid of one flaw and replaces it with another. The flaw here is that you are saying that you are getting information about their card via them looking at their card, which is what you are actually doing. Even though you are not doing it with muscle reading, but instead based on their response to the question or statement that they have seen their card already, it is still similar to the actual method, you are actually getting information about their card by having them look at the cards. I feel like this action of having them look at the cards has to not be associated with you getting any information about their card.

So here is the way I have been doing this effec: I do the same thing as in the vernon trick at the beginning, they think of a card, I shuffle the cards. Next I tell them I am trying to read their mind. I spread the cards towards myself and I go through, take one card out and put it face down on the table. Now I tell the spectator "if I really did take out your card, it would mean that your card is no longer in the deck, right?". Now I spread and I say "look and confirm that your card is no longer in the deck" as I do the basic Vernon sequence. If they tell me that they saw their card, I stop and say "oh you did see your card?, Really". I cut the deck. Next I draw attention to the card on the table and say "But I did tell you that this card on the table would be your card", then I turn over the card on the table and it is a joker "and technically speaking the joker as a wild card can substitute for any other card". At this point there are two different version I do of this trick. In version 1 I will do the same thing as vernon did but instead of feeling for the card and stopping randomly, I take cards from the deck to spell the name "joker". At the end I ask them what their card is and proceed as in the vernon version to reveal their card where we stopped the deal at. The second version can go two ways. In way 1 the ending is the same in how it looks to the first version, cards are dealt down and the thought of card is found where we stop the deal. However, 1 out of 3 times this outcome will occur: I deal the cards and stop after dealing "JOKER" and ask what their card is. They name their card and I say "it would be a good trick if this card where we stopped at would be our card, however at the beginning I promised you that the card I put on the table will be your card, I know it was a joke, but I am not joking now. Turn it over. They turn over the "joker" and it is now their thought of card.

I love OOSOOM. I like your joker reveal. This is very clever. My justification for showing the cards is that the spectator's mind is too strong for me and I'm going to have to show the cards again.
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On May 28, 2023, Jason Simonds wrote:
"Concentrate on your card. Do you still remember where your card was located? Don't tell me the card, but tell me where was it? *Repeat the number* 5. Hrmm I'm not sure if this will work but we'll try it. Watch, by turning my hand over, it sounds foolish, but a card has turned over in the middle of the deck."

Spread the cards, revealing the faceup 2 of whatever. If it's the 2, you have a minor miracle. If it's not the 2. "Hmmm. The 2 of whatever. That card is my buddy and it's telling me something. It said I should have done of a different trick. I'm kidding but this 2 is telling me your card is close." Then follow the Vernon cheat sheet for your outs.

What you suggest here is very similar to what I mentioned earlier, the only difference being that when you ask the spectator for the number, I suggested to use that number to make the card turn over so it feels more justified to ask for it. So instead of turning the hand over to cause the card to turn over, you tap the deck with your knuckles according to the number they gave. So if their number is three, you say that this number is magical and if we tap the deck three times it will cause a card to turn over in the middle of the deck.

However, this is not possible with the vernon handling. Because you can't say the card turned over by magic if a few seconds earlier you had taken the deck behind your back "to alter the position of a card". These two actions or are not compatible, if you say the card is going to turn over by magic, then you cant have previously taken the deck behind your back to do something secret to it. So to solve this problem, we need to come up with a way of getting to the end position where the card is reversed in the middle and the other cards are in their correct places as described by Vernon without ever taking the deck out of view of the spectator, which I have been trying to accomplish but have been unable to do so.

I have come up with a way to do the trick without needing to put the deck out of view, but in this case the effect is no longer a magical reversal of a card. This version needs two spectators, you force the two to the first spectator, then control it to the proper place necessary for simple arithatic. Next you get the second spectator to think of a number and look at the card at that position. Now instead of taking the deck out of view, you shuffle the cards, then you say you will make a prediction by reversing a single card in the deck, and you do this openly by cutting cards to the table, stopping, taking a small packet of cards out from that position, outjogging a card from that small packet (this will be the two), taking it out, turning your wrist so the packet is face up, inserting that card you took out back into the packet and putting that small packet on the cards you cut onto the table, then taking the other half of the deck and putting the other packet in the middle of those cards. This sounds like a lot of procedure but to do this it doesn't take too long. And the way it is done no one sees the face of the card you reversed.

So now you ask spectator 1 what was his card, and they say two of whatever it was. Now you ask the spectator two if the number they thought about was also a two. Most likely they say no, so you ask what the number was, and they say something like 5. So now you spread the cards to show that the only reversed card is the first spectators card, and the card next to it is the second spectators thought of card.

Also, when you ask the first spectator to name their card, you can look at the second spectator to gauge their reaction, because if they thought of the number four, they will be thinking of the same card as the first spectator, so if you see them surprised, you know they both have the same card. If you want to be sure you can still do the questioning to get them to tell the number they thought of and if it is four, you can now tell the second spectator to name their card and it is the same card as the one the first spectator took, then you spread the cards to show that is the card you reversed in the middle.
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
Vernon only mentions Bridge because bridge hands are 13 cards and he wanted to get 13 cards in play. You don't have to mention Bridge. If you want to mention a card game, feel free to use Bridge, or even use Hearts or Spades which also use 13 card hands. You can also just say "Let's use a quarter of the deck. There's 52 cards in a deck. Do you know what a quarter of 52 is?" All this does is get 13 cards in play, so they can think of one of those 13 cards.

Since asking for the number is what is bothering you about the trick, here's a scripting option for you to ask for the number. "Do you still remember your card and where it was located? Don't tell me the card but tell me where it was. 5? *Spread over 5 cards from the top of the deck* It's not the 5th card right? That's because I shuffled the deck behind my back/Under the table." This gives justification to ask for the number, so you can prove that you shuffled under the table and it's no longer there. This would also provide some time misdirection, between when you asked for the number and when you do the reveal.

Here's another script option. Honestly, I'd probably use this one rather than the above. The above feels like running without being chased.

But you must also consider the case in which the card thought by the spectator could be among the top three cards at the top or bottom of the deck.

Thanks!
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On May 28, 2023, Pyppo100 wrote:
Quote:

But you must also consider the case in which the card thought by the spectator could be among the top three cards at the top or bottom of the deck.

Thanks!

I am not sure what you mean by needing to consider that possibility. The idea is that when you ask them to name their number, you can show them that since you shuffled the cards, the card they saw at that position is no longer at that position.
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!

I am not sure what you mean by needing to consider that possibility. The idea is that when you ask them to name their number, you can show them that since you shuffled the cards, the card they saw at that position is no longer at that position.

I mean there are also two endgames (the spectator's card is either at the bottom of the deck or at the top) where the two flipped in the middle DOES NOT come into play and is NOT shown.

Thanks!
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Pyppo: I don't still understand. Yes there are multiple reveals, but I don't get how that is relevant or connected to the comment you responded to. I don't see how it needs to be taken into account. Its already taken into account in the original handling by vernon, you proceed with the reveal as normal.
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
Pyppo: I don't still understand. Yes there are multiple reveals, but I don't get how that is relevant or connected to the comment you responded to. I don't see how it needs to be taken into account. Its already taken into account in the original handling by vernon, you proceed with the reveal as normal.

I try to explain myself better.

If the spectator's card is at the top of the deck, he'll tell me that his card was in 11th place.

Therefore, the magician to justify having asked the spectator what position his card was in, will have to take the deck, count 11 cards from the top to show the spectator that the deck has been well shuffled and therefore his card is NOT found more in that position.

Then he will show, that he has placed the spectator's card on top of the deck: is that okay?

During the 11 card count, could the spectator think that I did some manipulation to get his card to the top of the deck?

Thanks!
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Ah yes, I see what you mean. I think the counting would need to be used strategically when it fits or would help the effect. If the card is the top card, you want to immediately turn it over, because anything else would diminish the effect. But I agree, if you count, it would potentially make the spectator think you are manipulating the cards because the strenght of the routine is that you do not manipulate the cards after the number is named. I personally would not use this myself because I don't think counting the cards is a good idea.
balbec
View Profile
New user
few
62 Posts

Profile of balbec
Quote:

You don’t need any justification for asking the spectator’s card, since you demonstrate right after that you already knew / found it. You can answer « Yes, I knwew it » right after the spectator’s answer and than turnover the card, as advised by Giobbi in its extended analysis (CC v5). In my opinion, it is not even necessary since the climax is so strong when the spectator sees his card that he forgets this part anyway. On the other hand, I think it’s a mistake to justify the request, since it goes agains the construction and focus the spectator attention on a key aspect of the technique…. and a secondary part of the effect.

But I guess one really got to try the deliberate approach to see how well it works, and why this trick may be Vernon’s ultimate masterpiece.
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On May 28, 2023, balbec wrote:
Quote:

You don’t need any justification for asking the spectator’s card, since you demonstrate right after that you already knew / found it. You can answer « Yes, I knwew it » right after the spectator’s answer and than turnover the card, as advised by Giobbi in its extended analysis (CC v5). In my opinion, it is not even necessary since the climax is so strong when the spectator sees his card that he forgets this part anyway. On the other hand, I think it’s a mistake to justify the request, since it goes agains the construction and focus the spectator attention on a key aspect of the technique…. and a secondary part of the effect.

But I guess one really got to try the deliberate approach to see how well it works, and why this trick may be Vernon’s ultimate masterpiece.

I am not sure if you read my post correctly or if I just don't understand your response. I am not talking about the moment when you ask for the identity of the spectators card at all in my post that you responded to. What I am talking about is the moment before it, when you need to know which set of 3 contains the spectators card. This is the moment that needs justification, a justification why you are asking the spectator to look through the cards and tell you if they have seen their card yet. There is no justification given for this procedure in the inner card secrets book where the effect is described. If you just seconds ago asked the spectator to look and remember one card out of the 9 you showed him, why are you now 10 seconds later asking him to look for it again in the spread and asking him if he has seen his card already?
balbec
View Profile
New user
few
62 Posts

Profile of balbec
Yes, I misunderstood your point. The moment before requires even less justification, though. You are slowly browsing through the cards and just asking « did you see it yet ? » as a practical matter, just to avoid spending too much time going through the whole deck. It should be done naturally and deliberately, without even thinking about it. If your pace is slow enough and your tone is uninterested enough, no-one will even notice. Same as in the very first sequence of 9 cards, btw. Obviously, all of this require some time, an already engaged audience and some storytelling / acting efforts. In any case, they are necessary to make the best out of this trick.

PS: there are different versions of OSOM, but I refer to the most standard one and in some cases to Giobbi’s in-depth analysis in CC vol 5
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On May 28, 2023, balbec wrote:
Yes, I misunderstood your point. The moment before requires even less justification, though. You are slowly browsing through the cards and just asking « did you see it yet ? » as a practical matter, just to avoid spending too much time going through the whole deck. It should be done naturally and deliberately, without even thinking about it. If your pace is slow enough and your tone is uninterested enough, no-one will even notice. Same as in the very first sequence of 9 cards, btw. Obviously, all of this require some time, an already engaged audience and some storytelling / acting efforts. In any case, they are necessary to make the best out of this trick.

PS: there are different versions of OSOM, but I refer to the most standard one and in some cases to Giobbi’s in-depth analysis in CC vol 5

I am sure it works well for many people, I just am not comfortable doing that. Because for me there is no reason to just browse through the cards and ask them "did you see your card yet" when literally they just saw their card ten seconds ago.
balbec
View Profile
New user
few
62 Posts

Profile of balbec
Well, that’s the whole point of this trick and the bases of its construction. 3 phases : 1- Card selection: the focus is on the choice. Typically, you can explain that you display the cards to avoid any psychologic trick about choosing an ace or a queen. 2- Card reading : the focus is on getting an image in the spec’ mind. Typically, you ask for a real effort on *his* side, so that the card is distinctly readable through mind contact. 3- Reveal. The effort is now on *your* side, never easy, but after deep mind reading + touching cards you finally manage to pull it !

Most of the time is spent on phase 2, and its justification can be explained since the onset of the trick. Some magician present it as a recovery after a failed first attempt at the end of phase 1 : something like «  Sorry, its not precise enough, I would like you to see your card again for you to have a better mental picture » but I think it’s not necessarily useful. In the right context, everyone will understand that getting a clearer mental picture (or something equivalent) is a very good raison to see the cards again, especially since they don’t think there are giving away anything about their selection. Anyway, not sure I should go further, since some could call this « the method » of the trick…
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On May 29, 2023, balbec wrote:
Well, that’s the whole point of this trick and the bases of its construction. 3 phases : 1- Card selection: the focus is on the choice. Typically, you can explain that you display the cards to avoid any psychologic trick about choosing an ace or a queen. 2- Card reading : the focus is on getting an image in the spec’ mind. Typically, you ask for a real effort on *his* side, so that the card is distinctly readable through mind contact. 3- Reveal. The effort is now on *your* side, never easy, but after deep mind reading + touching cards you finally manage to pull it !

Most of the time is spent on phase 2, and its justification can be explained since the onset of the trick. Some magician present it as a recovery after a failed first attempt at the end of phase 1 : something like «  Sorry, its not precise enough, I would like you to see your card again for you to have a better mental picture » but I think it’s not necessarily useful. In the right context, everyone will understand that getting a clearer mental picture (or something equivalent) is a very good raison to see the cards again, especially since they don’t think there are giving away anything about their selection. Anyway, not sure I should go further, since some could call this « the method » of the trick…

I think this can work well for some people, but for me I feel it is potentially suspicious. It does not make enough sense for me. Like I said I am sure it works for other people, but I don't like to do it that way. Because they just saw their card, its not difficult to remember what the number 2 and the symbol spades looks like, its not like it is some elaborate painting that you need a second viewing of to remember what it looked like, and in any case you are just showing the indexes to the spectator, not the whole card, so they literally just see the index number and the suit at the index. So it comes across to me as unconvincing to ask them to look for their card, I feel like some spectators would sniff that out and feel like the reason you are asking them to look for their card is not really because you want them to imagine it in their minds clearer. Maybe if you are a good mentalist and do mental magic, you can fit that presentation in better and it comes across as fitting, but for me, someone who does not do mentalism, I can not justify that presentation well enough to be confident in doing it.
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
Quote:

Thanks!

For the 2 selections that you don't use the 2 for, like 1tepa1 said, just jump straight to the reveal. Don't spread the deck. You can just turn over the deck or turn over the top card. "Where was your card located?" "Eleven... hmmm look if I do this magic gesture the card jumps to the top of the deck." If you want to get cute, do a double turnover to show it's not there yet. For the bottom card, do a cop to show it's not on the bottom, yet.
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
[quote]On May 28, 2023, 1tepa1 wrote:
[quote]On May 27, 2023, Pyppo100 wrote:
[quote]On May 27, 2023, 1tepa1 wrote:
Quote:
On May 27, 2023, balbec wrote:
Quote:
On May 27, 2023, 1tepa1 wrote:
Quote:
On May 27, 2023, balbec wrote:
Just ask for a « number » : it will be between 2 and 10 90% of the time. Add the digit once or twice for the other 10%.

What Paverino says about the issue with the Vernon trick, I agree, that is exactly my thinking also. I have been trying to think of a way of overcoming those issues without changing the basic method of the trick.

The effect Paverino showed also has a flaw to it, which is that spectators don't like to tell their card to you.....

When Preverino tells the spectator to reveal his card, the effect is now over: Preverino has already placed the deck of cards on the table and can NO longer have any control over it.

Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Simple Arithmetic presentation by Dai Vernon (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL