The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » An idea for learning multiple stacks (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
The only stack I have memorised (so far) is Martin Joyal's Six Hour Memorised Deck.
If I ever learn another one, I will almost certainly use the Major system (aka the Peg system) popularised by Harry Lorayne -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonic_major_system

But already I am thinking ahead to the possibility of wanting to learn a third stack in the future, using the Peg system again. At first, this seems like it could be very confusing. To remove the ambiguity, it has occurred to me to use an extra letter to distinguish the stacks. This would yield a different set of keywords. For example, if learning Mnemonica, you could start each keyword with an extra M for Mnemonica (or T for Tamariz).
For the Aronson stack you could use S for Simon. For the Redford stack use P or R.

Has anyone done this already?
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
There’s all kinds of things you can do to expand an initial peg list. In one of the Tony Buzan books he suggests altering the images in different ways to turn 100 per words into 1000.

For example, if you wanted to learn Mnemonica you could make the peg images Spanish in some way.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
That's an interesting idea, thank you
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
As I wrote back in 2021 (and before) Smile : Generally (by experience) I would not recommend learning a second stack. I would recommend what Simon Aronson suggested already. It is based on Si Stebbins, e. g. in CHaSeD order. If you see your stack, just think which card would precede in Stebbins and replace the card. For example: If the JS is your #1, replace it by the 8H which precedes the JS in Stebbins, and so on. If you would see now the 8H you have only to think which card follows the 8H in Stebbins, which would be the JS. The JS is your #1. Therefore, the 8H is your #1 in your second stack… Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
An alternative which I believe was suggested by Harry Lorayne is to use colors to differentiate them.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Why would you need to know more then one memorized deck?
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2023, DJ Trix wrote:
Why would you need to know more then one memorized deck?

Some people might just enjoy the challenge for its own sake. (Someone posted on the Café about a year ago I think, who had memorised about 6 or 7).

In more practical terms, you might find one stack more useful in some situations, and prefer another in different situations.
EG A tetradistic stack has certain benefits due to its repeating pattern; but this could be detrimental in some effects.

Or you might create an effect that works with two decks, each stacked - but stacked differently. Which is something I have been playing around with.

Quote:
On Jun 12, 2023, JanForster wrote:
As I wrote back in 2021 (and before) Smile : Generally (by experience) I would not recommend learning a second stack. I would recommend what Simon Aronson suggested already. It is based on Si Stebbins, e.g. in CHaSeD order. If you see your stack, just think which card would precede in Stebbins and replace the card. For example: If the JS is your #1, replace it by the 8H which precedes the JS in Stebbins, and so on. If you would see now the 8H you have only to think which card follows the 8H in Stebbins, which would be the JS. The JS is your #1. Therefore, the 8H is your #1 in your second stack… Jan

Jan,
Generating a "virtual" stack from a stack you already know is a useful concept. You could also use the Bart Harding transformation, and possibly others.
However, you have commented on many other threads that it is much faster to use a memorised stack than a formula. And a derived stack is of course a formula. it would work adequately in many situations; but would not give you the instant recall you would get if you genuinely memorised a second stack.

In the two-deck effect I mentioned above, I use Joyal stack for one deck, and Is Stebbins for the second. [I only need to know the next card]. My recall for the Stebbins deck feels much more effortful than for the Joyal one.
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
If the Stebbins transformation is too cumbersome I’d check out some that Doug uses in Calculated Thoughts.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2023, Nikodemus wrote:

Quote:
On Jun 12, 2023, JanForster wrote:
As I wrote back in 2021 (and before) Smile : Generally (by experience) I would not recommend learning a second stack. I would recommend what Simon Aronson suggested already. It is based on Si Stebbins, e.g. in CHaSeD order. If you see your stack, just think which card would precede in Stebbins and replace the card. For example: If the JS is your #1, replace it by the 8H which precedes the JS in Stebbins, and so on. If you would see now the 8H you have only to think which card follows the 8H in Stebbins, which would be the JS. The JS is your #1. Therefore, the 8H is your #1 in your second stack… Jan

Jan,
Generating a "virtual" stack from a stack you already know is a useful concept. You could also use the Bart Harding transformation, and possibly others.
However, you have commented on many other threads that it is much faster to use a memorised stack than a formula. And a derived stack is of course a formula. it would work adequately in many situations; but would not give you the instant recall you would get if you genuinely memorised a second stack.

In the two-deck effect I mentioned above, I use Joyal stack for one deck, and Is Stebbins for the second. [I only need to know the next card]. My recall for the Stebbins deck feels much more effortful than for the Joyal one.

Yes, I stay to my words, of course... Smile But in this case I would not consider it using a "formula"... if you try it you'll see how easy and quick it is. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Learning a second stack is very interesting when you are bored and unable to occupy yourself with something more useful.
rrubin98
View Profile
Veteran user
Cogito, ergo sum scripsit
358 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
I learned 7 stacks for a video I posted. At that time, I was hoping to promote a "memory techniques for magicians" book I was writing. The book is now on hold indefinitely, but here's the video link. There's no pseudo memory or trickery in the demo. That said, I was being facetious when I claimed I used a song to remember the stack orders. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJkuGX8qtYo
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I saw your video a while back; and was very impressed. I assumed the song technique was genuine.
jared23m
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of jared23m
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2023, Nikodemus wrote:
And a derived stack is of course a formula. it would work adequately in many situations; but would not give you the instant recall you would get if you genuinely memorised a second stack.

I'm certainly not going to say memorizing more than one deck is a bad thing. But also this is a cost benefit analysis. What is more likely to screw up an effect, a slight time delay or accidentally mixing up the decks in your head? From personal (albeit limited) experience of both scenarios, it's a lot easier for me to keep the decks straight when I know one of them is springboarded off the other. I think this might be what Jan was alluding to with his opinion. I cannot be sure though. To each their own, but at the very least I think both options are valid.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
You are correct ... Smile ... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Chris.k
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Chris.k
Check the memory arts by Sarah trsustman basically is a memory palace
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » An idea for learning multiple stacks (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL