The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Thoughtful teaching (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
I have come into a small windfall and want to purchase a book or video or two that give some thoughtful teaching on the art of magic.

By "thoughtful" teaching I mean that there might be more than just a piling up of effects—though, of course, every effect teaches something. I really enjoy the way Tommy Wonder gives principles of design and misdirection and showmanship that we can all use to develop our own material, as well as the way he brings up philosophical issues and builds a vocabulary for analyzing the art of magic.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if the book or video is well-written and enjoyable even apart from the magic business.

Any suggestions?

alan
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think the Card College series of books falls into the category of "thoughtful teaching." If you are interested in mentalism, the Osterlind videos are excellent too.

Jack Shalom
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
If you've never read it, Our Magic by Maskelyn and Devant would fit the bill nicely.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
I just remembered that the same person who recommended Tommy Wonder to me also recommended _The Art of Astonishment_. I am a little afraid of being overwhelmed by so many effects rendered in that trilogy, however.

I am ashamed to say that I have not yet read _Our Magic_, and I will try if it is still available.

alan
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Word Crimes
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Our Magic can be found online for free. Don't remember where at the moment. But - do yourself a favor and get the book, preferably and old copy of the book. It will "feel" more important to you that reading it off the screen. Find an old enough copy and the book will have photographs rather than line drawings.

The advantage to books like "Our Magic" or Tommy Wonders essays or "Strong Magic" and others are the ideas you can take and apply to your magic. Rather than lots of news effects you can work with magic you already do. Then you can guage what makes your current effects stronger or weaker. If you only use other peoples effects you loose that advantage.

Hope that helps.
Sk8rDave
View Profile
Regular user
California
189 Posts

Profile of Sk8rDave
Tommy Wonder, who really is a thoughtful teacher, used to open his lecture by saying "everything I know came from the following books..." then he'd take his bow and walk off.

After he'd made his point he'd come back and share with us the details of some of his tricks and the thought process that allowed him to creat them. I don't have the complete list of books in front of me. I'll bet he lists them somewhere in the preface to his books. I do remember that he recommends Our Magic, the Fitzkee trilogy (Showmanship for Magicians, The Trick Brain and Magic by Misdirection) Magic and Showmanship and, I think, The Tarbell Course among others.

With regards to the Tarbell Course, Paul Chosse highly recommends the lesson version of Tarbell instead of the book form which, I have heard, can be had from lybrary.com.

With regards to Magic and Showmanship, much of the theory in the back has been reiterated in Strong Magic. In fact, when I read Strong Magic it seemed that most of Darwin's performance theories were taken directly from Magic and Showmanship. In some cases, the example he used to prove his theories came straight out of that book, as well. I'm not saying that he ripped off Henning Nelms. Darwin modernized it and brought the information to close up workers and he adds his own theories about what makes a good performance.

Dave
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Yes, thank you!

I have read the Fitzkee books and Nelms book. I am slowly working through the Tarbell course. I am very interested in the principles underlying our magic.
I just remembered some else once recommended Eugene Burger's works in this regard...

I looked through the section here at the Café where people listed their favorite videos, but couldn't discern which ones are along the lines of "thoughtful taching." Any other suggestions for books or videos?

Many thanks all!
A BLENDED PATH
Word Crimes
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
If you want videos that contain thoughtful teaching, I would highly recommend the Tommy Wonder set from L&L. Also, Roberto Giobbi's lecture video/DVD is excellent.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Oh, and in addition to the books listed above, check out both of Derren Brown's books as well as Pit Hartling's "Card Fictions."

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
RBerteig
View Profile
Regular user
Monrovia, California
146 Posts

Profile of RBerteig
Personally, I would consider investing in everything written by Eugene Burger and Bob Neale.

Intertwined with interesting presentation, Eugene always has thoughtful ideas about how and why his presentations are written, and the messages they impart.

Bob Neale leans a little more strongly in the direction of Magician as Storyteller, but also writes about the philosophy of magic.

The book they did together, Magic and Meaning, possibly should be required reading for anyone who is trying to do more than just present gags and puzzles.

I have not had the chance to meet Bob, but Eugene is also a wonderful teacher in the flesh. Attending his classes or lectures is well worth the effort... If he isn't turning up in your neighborhood you might seriously consider attending some of the classes he teaches along with Jeff McBride at Jeff's facility in Las Vegas.
Ross Berteig
Wizards in my Parlor
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
If you are looking for "thoughtful writing" on magic, you should search for anything and everything written by Ron Bauer. Ron brings 50 years of experience in diverse but associated fields to his writings on things magical. He has worked in Advertising, Sales, the Movie and Television industries. He has served as director, and producer, and writer, and "talent" for many television projects. He is a professional writer in the hi-tech industry, and a best-selling (according to the NY Times Best-Seller lists...)author. His performance experience is long and varied. He has many students, formal and informal, and the names would surprise you. He is also an intimate associate of some of the biggest names in magic, past and present. Ron is generous to a fault. He is the best all-around magician I have ever known. If you can talk to him do so. If you can correspond do that. And if niether of these options work out, buy and read everything he has written. He ghosted some articles for Charlie Miller in the eighties, he had several series that ran in Abbott's "New Tops" magazine, in the sixties and again in the eighties. He has contributed to others' books, notably Milton Kort and John Luka. L.I.N.T. is a good place to get an introduction to Bauer's thinking. And of course, the best writing on magic extant, and the best course ever, is his "Private Studies". You should bear in mind that my library, at one time, exceeded 3,000 volumes, and I have been doing magic for forty years, and been friendly with about every "legend" of the last fifty years. I still, without reservation, recommend reading Bauer on magic!

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello Alan:

A book that's been around for 15 years (and recently updated) is Chris Carey's "Find the Stuff that's You!" Very thoughtful information. Many top pros have read and recommend this book.

I've just recently been going through the Ron Bauer series that Paul mentioned; in fact, this morning I just purchased "Bar Bill Stunt". I can say that I'm learning a lot by reading these books. Each time I get one, I'm really amazed that such a quality product is only 10 bucks.

Lastly, I also ordered Quentin Reynolds' "Perform Like a Pro" DVD. I guess it received raves at the last FISM and Mike Close gave it an excellent review in the last MAGIC, so I have high expectations.

Hope this helps you - this thread has been very helpful to me.

Ron
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Chris Carey's book is interesting. The effects didn't really fit my style or type of performance. The advice was right on.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
At this memorable moment in my life, my 400th post at the Magic Café, I want to thank you all so much for directing me towards these books and videos of "thoughtful teaching."

alan
A BLENDED PATH
Word Crimes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Thoughtful teaching (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL