The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Get Nyman....review? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
Get Nyman DVD's......

Can any one offer me a review and a break down of the effects on this DVD set (i.e. what the effects are, how they apear to the audience etc.), WITH OUT turning this in to a thread about Andy and 'exposure'.

I know that's a lot to ask of some of you but ive done a search here on the Café and theres a huge thread saposadly about the DVD's, of wich about 2 posts tell you anything about the DVD's.

Id also like to know if its worth me buying this DVD set for £30 or Andy's Lecture Notes, which seem to contain some of the effects on the DVD's but only cost about £12 each.

Thank you for your time,
Alex.
DangerMouse
View Profile
Special user
LONDON CITY
509 Posts

Profile of DangerMouse
Why don't you just read the thread entitled Get Nyman??

Curtis
Cheese is nothing but thick milk.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Curtis,
Because that is the thread Alex was referring to when he said that only two of the posts focus on the DVDs themselves (as opposed to exposure issues).

I think this is a very reasonable request, and shall do my best to give you an answer, Alex.

The Hidden:
A full description of this effect can be found here.

No Way Out:
A prediction routine in which Andy hides a sticker on one of three objects on a table and then influences an audience member to choose that particular object.

Chair Swindle:
I have used this and think it is lovely. Andy influences a participant to choose one of two chairs. It's a really downplayed comical moment which serves as a prelude to...

Kick in the Head:
A card effect in which Andy seemingly forces a volunteer to choose a particular card.

Mr. Saturday Night:
A row of envelopes are placed on the table each of which contains a prize that could be won. The envelopes are eliminated one at a time until only one remains... It's a routine that you really have to see to understand why it's so entertaining.

Charade:
Essentially Andy's take on 'Do As I Do'.

Deep Red Prediction:
A truly killer routine which revolves around Andy's idea for a new type of video club. It incorporates the prediction of both a freely named film and a video membership number.

Magician's Graphology:
I can't praise this enough. It's something I've used often (and will continue to use). Three members of the audience each make a drawing which are then mixed up and given to Andy. Using his apparent knowledge of graphology, he correctly returns the first two to their owners before duplicating the third.

The Dead Zone:
This involves a participant placing three objects into three different pockets while Andy faces the other way. When he looks back, he tells the participant which object is in which pocket before revealing that he knew in advance which pockets would contain which objects.

Dead of Night:
Three cards are selected and returned to the deck. Each card is then spelled to in progressively more impressive and impossible ways.

I understand that some of this may read as being a little dry, but in performance they're great fun to watch. The extras are also superb. They involve an interview with Andy, performances of Killer Elite, Diceman, and the Sophie Trick, Andy's "Sven Dem" (from his Marvin's Magic days) together with some other moments which I don't want to spoil for those who haven't seen the DVD.

All in all, this is a great purchase. Watching Andy perform is a real treat and understanding some of his thinking behind his routines is just priceless. I would recommend this DVD set to any performer, regarless of how much of the material they might use.
For me, this DVD is not about getting new 'tricks' to perform.

It's much better value for money to get the DVD, Alex. Seeing Andy's stuff in action truly is worth the price alone.

Hope this helps,
Stephen
Hello.
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
Thank you, thank you, thank you Stephen.

It appears most of the effects on this DVD are the ones I was most intrested in from his Lecture notes.

Thanks for your help, I am now in much less of a bind.

Thanks,
Alex.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
I was intending to buy the dvd's next month any way but all the same it is nice to know what I'm buying.
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Its a great set, you shall not be disappointed. I love Andy's stuff I think its gold.

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Sounds pretty good Smile
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
On Nyman's trick "Deep Red Prediction", he admitted in the video that his volunteer felt as if she "cheated" since she had been "pre-showed". In other words, she thought that she may have been manipulated into selecting the name of the video.

So, aside from using the Svengali (short cornered) deck of index cards to force the name of the video, does anyone have another suggested method for assuring the proper outcome?

thanks,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-06-28 09:19, Scott Wells wrote:
On Nyman's trick "Deep Red Prediction", he admitted in the video that his volunteer felt as if she "cheated" since she had been "pre-showed". In other words, she thought that she may have been manipulated into selecting the name of the video.

So, aside from using the Svengali (short cornered) deck of index cards to force the name of the video, does anyone have another suggested method for assuring the proper outcome?

thanks,
Scott

I believe he said it was also the only time that has happened.

I've Pm'ed you with an alternative idea also Scott.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Scott:
I have pm'ed another method as well...

Sean Waters
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
I found this to be a collection of rather dull card tricks, and did not enjoy the presentational style at all. If you like things that feel less mental-magicy this is most likely not for you.

/Bamba
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
There's a good discussion going on in Secret session too..

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Quote:
On 2005-06-28 10:55, Bambaladam wrote:
I found this to be a collection of rather dull card tricks, and did not enjoy the presentational style at all. If you like things that feel less mental-magicy this is most likely not for you.

/Bamba

Bamba, I couldn't agree with you more. I was also greatly disappointed with both the mediocre content and rather uninspired presentations on this series of DVDs.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
balcazar
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of balcazar
Bamba / Joe:
I agree too, I have to say: this DVD is really a bad one
I'm still trying to find some mentalism in it
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
Scott,

I had a 2 hour mentalism show recentyl here inVienna and I did perform Deep Red Prediction. I had the same concerns about Pre Show on this routine. Especially here people may suspect that you arranged something with the helper in advance since the impact is nearly impossible.

I performed it with the Svengali principle on stage and the reactions were tremendous. Since they saw the cards beared different names on it and though I predicted the correct movie.

I also (always do) try to get another method but as far as the Svengali method workes so well for me so far I'll stay with this at the moment.

Greetings
Thomas

But to add something regarding Andy's DVD Set I also higly recommend it. I enjoyed to watch and found many useful routines ideas or methods I can play with and use like Deep Red precidtion.

Also the 3rd DVD (The interview with Marc Paul) is very helpful and interesting.

I didn't regret this buy.

Greetings
Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Scott B. and Sean Waters,

Thanks so much for your PM's. GREAT ideas and good thinking. I want to publicly thank you.
----------

Thomas,

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas above, too. I like the idea of getting the information during the show rather than in the pre-show. With the pre-show there is the "too perfect" theory going on there which makes the whole set-up a little "dodgey". I want to make the pre-show completely force-free (or at least so it appears so) and I have received some excellent solutions for that. But by doing it all on stage takes any thought or suggestion of any hanky-panky or pre-show work out of the audience's equation. They see(?) it all before their eyes during the course of the routine. The only problem with that is that it drags out the routine a bit longer than necessary.

But isn't that one of the advantages of pre-show work? To eliminate the need for "getting the information" during the course of the routine and thus shortening the whole thing so you can get to the effect? Of course it is.

Anyway, thanks for the thought and I will keep that one in mind, too.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
PsychoMagi....You're welcome to buy my set of these DVDs. 'Nuff said?
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Scott,

You liking the idea is plenty enough thanks.

Feel free to talk anytime,

Scott
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Get Nyman....review? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL