The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bonanza (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm just now discovering this show that my dad used to love to watch, after getting a couple dvds, and I gotta say, I'm hooked! This was a great show! I'm digging every episode, and I wish they would release more on dvd. I read that the show went for about thirteen seasons, making 420 some odd episodes, and probably would have gone on if Dan Blocker hadn't died at age 44 ( or 43, I'm not exactly sure which.)

Anyway, I think the chemistry on the show, especially between Hoss and little Joe was just the right mix, and the fact that they alternated between drama and comedic episodes was rather inovative and ingenious.

And interestingly enough, it took place in Louis Falanga land. Good ol' Lake Tahoe, Nevada.

Anyway, I'm hooked, and was wondering if there are any other fans in this forum?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I always like the music written for the episodes...good stuff (not just the theme).

I liked the show after 'Mr. Dark & Depressing' left. (Adam)

Still very entertaining and colorful. Remember the episiode where Fabian played a psycho serial killer? That was off kilter and well done.

Having lived a ton of years at Tahoe it is interesting to watch these days. When Bonanza was big I was living in Hawaii and the show didn't tell us that the snow could fall 5 feet OVER NIGHT! Or that there could be 15 feet of the stuff in the yard end of May!

I still watch it when I can (as long as Adam isn't in it. It always griped me that he left the show because he thought it was beneath him and wanted to move on on to 'bigger and better' things.... yeah...right.)

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
Over here on the BBC, comedian Rob Brydon included Bonanza in his Director's Commentary series. ( He was voicing over clips from many and varied series as if he had directed those particular episodes ) A brilliant series and the Bonanza excerpt was hilarious.

I have very fond memories of the original, as I grew up during the heyday of the cowboy series on TV ( Bronco Lane, Cheyenne, Wagon Train, The Lone Ranger, The Range Rider, Boots and Saddles, Champion The Wonder Horse, Gun Smoke, The Virginian, and Bonanza )
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2004-08-01 11:54, darkrider wrote:
I still watch it when I can (as long as Adam isn't in it. It always griped me that he left the show because he thought it was beneath him and wanted to move on on to 'bigger and better' things.... yeah...right.)

Doug

Did Pernell Roberts leave the show for the reasons stated above or was that just what we were told by the media? In any case it doesn't matter to me. Why someone leaves a show or a team is not enough reason for me to enjoy or not enjoy someone's performance. If that was the case, I probably couldn't enjoy much of anything because most of the celebrities that I enjoy watching perform have said or done something that I am opposed to. I still enjoy Paul Ruebens even after his B.S. and the very few Micheal Jackson tunes that I enjoy now, I will continue to enjoy even though I think that he is very much guilty of his charges and should be locked up in prison (after a fair trial).
I think that the Pernell Roberts charactor (Adam) created a good balance for the three brothers. Little Joe was the "clown", Hoss was the big Lovable "Teddy Bear" and Adam was the voice of reason, the "serious" one.
I was just thankful that Adam wasn't replaced with another "brother". So many shows have failed after replacing a character with someone else. For some strange reason (in my mind) the series "Bewitched" was an exception to this rule and was not harmed in the least when "Darren" played by Dick York was replaced by Dick Seargent.
Bonanza will always be a great show and I believe we will see more DVD's appear in the future.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I grew up on all those TV westerns, including Bonanza. My favorite episodes were the ones where Little Joe would sucker Hoss into some quick buck scheme, such as the 'flapjack eating contest' episode.

On a tangent, my late uncle, Harold DeBord, was a scenery man for both "Rawhide" and the later seasons of "Gunsmoke."

"Scenery for Rawhide?" you say, "It was mostly out on the plains!" You'd be surprised. Harold's crew had to move entire trees for a specific shot.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I liked all the charachters because they each played their part in keeping balance and variety in the Ponderosa. It was interesting to see how each character would react to a given situation, or to each other for that matter. This gave it a spark that is hard to put your finger on.

I especialy loved the difference between Little Joe and Hoss. In one episode, the show opens with Hoss building a house of cards. He only has one level to go, and in walks little Joe. Well, you can guess what happens next, which results in Hoss chasing little Joe around the room. Just like REAL brothers. It had a quality of BELIEVABILITY to it that gave it great appeal, at least to me, knowhutimeen?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bonanza (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL