The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito Box ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
Hi Mike and Johathan,

Thanks for your replies. I"m currently digesting the David Stone DVD vol 1, and I do know the basic coin sleights but have no experience with an okito box. So I'll look into the O Kort O set. I was looking at Roy Kuepper's Mojo Boogie Boxes that come with a routine too by Bob Farmer.
I like what you suggested, getting a strong routine with the boxes is the key. I'll look through my paperback Bobo book to see if those routines are good. I'd like to be able to do a bit more then coins through hand. I already to viking's ball through hand and I"m not sure how much my hand can take. (pause for laughs)

Thanks
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
This is the premise I use.
I tell them this.... In the 1700's It was considered very bad taste and also a crime against the crown. If a man was to present a coin with the kings head facing down. For this reason they kept coins in a box facing all one way. They could remove a coin and offer it heads up without looking!

I have also used the premise of: these boxes were used by sailors to slip the The king's Shilling into drunkards drinks. Thus the poor sour is now headed for a life at sea!

This gives me some good things to talk about and some nice references can be woven.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Quote:
On 2004-08-14 23:43, taller8 wrote:
Hi Mike and Johathan,

Thanks for your replies. I"m currently digesting the David Stone DVD vol 1, and I do know the basic coin sleights but have no experience with an okito box. So I'll look into the O Kort O set. I was looking at Roy Kuepper's Mojo Boogie Boxes that come with a routine too by Bob Farmer.
I like what you suggested, getting a strong routine with the boxes is the key. I'll look through my paperback Bobo book to see if those routines are good. I'd like to be able to do a bit more then coins through hand. I already to viking's ball through hand and I"m not sure how much my hand can take. (pause for laughs)

Thanks

I think you'll need the hardcover Bobo, the paperback doesn't have a lot of material on coin boxes. The hardcover Bobo's and Roths Expert Coin Magic (by Kaufman) are pretty much all you need to play with an Okito Box.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2004-08-14 19:52, taller8 wrote:
Should a newbie, starting out with an okito, buy a regular box, or could I use a boston or a slot box too and have that little extra help that those particular gaffs provide?

I agree with other posters that a good place to start is the O-korto Box set. That gives you a standard box, a Boston box and a small (sucker) box. After you get the hang of working with the boxes, you can try the more exotic variations, like the shimmed lid and the slot box.

Whether you go with the Johnson Products boxes or the Chazpro Buddha boxes is a tossup and a matter of personal preference. Both are of excellent quality. I don't think the Buddha boxes come in an O-korto Set, but you can just order the ones you want. There's also nothing wrong with starting with a standard box and working your way up from there.

I would also suggest you take a look at Volume 2 of David Roth's "Ultimate Coin Magic" DVD's, which has all the classic Okito box moves as well as the Roth innovations. Good Luck!! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
There are two sets I would recommend which don't get much attention since Roth's set was issued.

Johnson's Magic Bank includes a ring (bottomless) box, a standard box and a sealed rattle box. Via a box switch you can "lock" the bank and the coin can be heard inside.

The Magna Coin Box which includes a special "post" coin that fits a recess in the bottom of the box which looks like a design feature. The list also have the same feature. This allows you to do the Boston type material with an examinable box.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Johnson makes a nice magnetic Okito box, called the "Jo Pro" box. They also sell a special matching coin for the box, the "J.G. Thompson Coin." See the bottom of this page at the Magic Warehouse website: http://themagicwarehouse.com/johnson.html

This item was always on my "To Buy" list, but I went with a Buddha magnetic box instead because I liked that design. Eventually I also picked up a Coin Cup from Doug Brewer, which seems to be sort of the same thing, except of course that it has no lid.

There are plenty of variations of the basic Okito box, some good and some not so good. In some cases, it seems to me that it's almost like 'gilding the lily,' if you know what I mean. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
Thanks guys for the input.

This is almost falling into the 'Card to wallet' category for the number of options. Smile And we all know what a painful decision that can be.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
This a good way to START exploring.

There are still other boxes like the Bobby Bernard box that offer some amazing options in routined use.

Fred Lowe offered a nice box with a chinese coin where the gaffs were very clever.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
In keeping with the original question, I simply say it is an old chinese coin box used to hold and protect collectable coins. It's not used much anymore in favor of the newer, cheaper and more westernized and practical see-thru plastic boxes. In fact now the box is more of a collectable than the coins.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Yea Frank! Who the hell asked whats the best box to buy?
sethb asked. "Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this, and what other types of patter lines are being used for Okito boxes. SETH"

Sounds like he has all the Okito's he needs, and was asking how to validate this obscure item to spectators. Refere to my original post for an idea of how to answer this question.
I bet all of you who posted your recommendations of boxes don't even have a good routine with patter. Its just some shiny little precious that you covert and never use Smile Smile Smile Smile and a big extra Smile
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
By the way, if you have an Old Okito box that you don't use anymore because it was made for the old 10p - you'll find it's exactly the right size for the new £2 coin.

There are lots of Okito Box routines in the bound Apocalypse volumes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito Box ideas (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL