The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Zander( Entertaining school shows) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I wouldn't advise the experienced performer to get this because they shouldn't need it.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Couldn't you say that about anything?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yup, I would. The pros out there get DVDs, for the most part, because they want to see the performer not the material. It is like individual tricks, the newbies gobble 'em up, the more advanced you get the less you buy.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2007-04-11 14:07, MagicSanta wrote:
I wouldn't advise the experienced performer to get this because they shouldn't need it.

Just because you have some experience in a field, doesn't mean you can not learn anything new from a DVD such as this. I wouldn't say that simply because you have some experience in kid's shows, that you should never buy another kid's show DVD again in your life.

I had some experience in children's shows when I bought this, but not a lot of experience in school shows specifically. I guess part of why I did not love this DVD, is because it didn't really focus on the business side of the school show industry enough. If you watch the interview segment from Ken Scott's "Making the Birthday Dough" video, you will see an excellent example of a thorough and lengthy discussion on the business side of children's birthday shows. I guess I was hoping to see something like this on Zander's DVD, but relating to school shows.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It is what it is. If it covered all the business side you would have people whining that they wanted to see a performance and learn some routines. Can't win for losing.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2007-04-13 16:07, MagicSanta wrote:
If it covered all the business side you would have people whining that they wanted to see a performance and learn some routines.

Maybe, but I am not speaking on behalf of all people - just giving my opinion on why I did not care for it too much. Do you think I am whining about it not having enough business-aspect material on it?

- Edwin Louis Cole
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Well, my long response with snips and pastes and analysis etc is gone thanks to a cat pulling a plug on my computer. So I'll shorten it to 'no, I don't know if you are whining or not, I don't know you' and also that the ad is to show how to do an entertaining show and says nothing about teaching the business aspect. Simply put you bought something expecting something not advertised. As for the cost no one likes to pay more for something than someone else but that is the way it goes. Get a tissue boys cuz life is like that. If you want to know about the business of doing kids shows find a dvd on it, learn it yourself, or call Zander, if you are nice he might help you out.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Where is Zander, is he a Café member?
and Danny, I agree with you 100 percent.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Zander is in Orange County California, he can be reached via his website if you look under zander magic. I have seen old posts by John here, seems he left for some reason. Odd.

I agree with Danny 100 percent too, the dvd isn't about the business of school shows. Oh, Michael Ammars card videos are not about stage illusion and Card College just ignores coin magic, which really upset me, just in case you were wondering.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2007-04-13 20:08, MagicSanta wrote:
I agree with Danny 100 percent too, the dvd isn't about the business of school shows. Oh, Michael Ammars card videos are not about stage illusion and Card College just ignores coin magic, which really upset me, just in case you were wondering.

Well, that is simply immature and silly. I bought a SCHOOL SHOW DVD, hoping to get some insight into the business side of SCHOOL SHOWS - was that such an unreasonable expectation?

If you read my previous posts, I think you will simply see an honest review and my reasons why I personally did not enjoy this DVD very much.I even said that there is something to be learned from it, and I complimented Zander on entertaining his audience adequately. I tried to explain why this DVD was not great for ME, but never said others couldn't benefit from it.

- Edwin Louis Cole
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I agree with you, the dvd didn't cover the business of doing school shows. It covered the showing of an entertaining school show and taught some routines, just like the ad said. You certainly can have your opinion as can I.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Bottom line on this product is that it was advertised as having several things on it that it simply didn't have. End of discussion.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Info wanted on school shows, I live in uk
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2008-05-11 01:21, Futureal wrote:
Bottom line on this product is that it was advertised as having several things on it that it simply didn't have. End of discussion.

Didn't the discussion end over a year ago???

- Edwin Louis Cole
nnylfmit
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of nnylfmit
I liked parts of this dvd.
Some nice bits and pieces that you could use in your children shows whether they are school shows or birthday party show etc.
John says it’s not for middle schoolers .
The “Did it leave a mark, and the juggle Lesson” are fun gags for the children. Won’t cost you much and is just good clean fun!
His coloring book routine with the disappearing color crayons is good as well.
If you were looking for advice on booking school shows, you won’t find it on this dvd.
If you want to see a light hearted entertainer entertain school age children using simple magic and personality, yiu will see this on this dvd.
Hit em straight and long!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » John Zander( Entertaining school shows) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL