The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Medieval Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tercero
View Profile
New user
Spain
51 Posts

Profile of Tercero
Hi there!
I was asked by an old client to design a complete grand illusion show with a medieval theme.
Do you have any idea from illusions, presentations or just suggestions about it?
Thanks in advance!

- Pedro -
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Cremation, Sword Box, or a Stock Escape. Flash pots might be cool. Perpetual eggs - mouth to pocket and a chicken production. Perhaps an oversized cups and balls using leather cups, magic stones and a willow wand that shoots sparks.

Kregg
POOF!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
The old "Slick Post" might work. I once did a presentation where a witch escaped while being burned at the stake ... seems you could use a similar presentation.

"Card on Sword" if you could find a proper sword and old-looking pasteboards.

Almost anyting using a Wizard persona. Perhaps the character might help sell an otherwise untimely effect.
Darko
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Darko
Hindu sword basket.
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
I'd suggest you touch base with Bill Palmer, as he's quite literally written the book on Renaissance Fair magic, etc.

In my experience in working such environs, it all depends upon the circumstances you're working. I've done an Asrah Levitation in the middle of a walk-way and nearly surrounded (without a couch) but it's not something I'd recommend (though the method can be purchased...).

The biggest rule is to keep it simple. Then again, it depends upon what the client is seeking... if it's the event producers and they have a reasonable budget (very important) and they're after a serious stage production... well, you can remove most all the bars and limitations. That being the case I will recommend a trip to Beverly, MA. and at least a couple of viewings of "Le Grand David."

Why?

The illusions presented are "old-styled" and performed in much the same manner they were presented in the late 19th and early 20th century. The technology behind most of this show also corresponds to that era. It is this primitive "feel" that you want to weigh in creating said product.

Aside from Bill, you can email me should you wish to get together for some brainstorming. I'd be glad to help.
Tercero
View Profile
New user
Spain
51 Posts

Profile of Tercero
Thank you very much my friends!
Your ideas look good.
Osiris: The trip to Beberly, MA sounds good, but I'm in Spain (Europe) and it's quite difficult.

- Pedro -
astoundingbruce
View Profile
Regular user
Burlington, WI (USA)
127 Posts

Profile of astoundingbruce
Quote:
On 2004-08-03 22:01, Starrpower wrote:
"Card on Sword" if you could find a proper sword and old-looking pasteboards.

Perhaps you could use Tarot cards. Docc Hilford has some solid mentalism using Tarot cards (plays from stage or close up).
“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
I have seen the Metamorphosis illusion done often at Reniassance festivals. The sword through the neck trick is also a good one, especially if it looks like a period sword.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I'm a theatrical designer, so I tend to have a different viewpoint on this question. My first stop would be the local library for a bunch of books on the "medieval" period and some inpiration. Get some background on the period and then begin to narrow down exactly what your show will focus on: a castle or feudal lord, a battle, trade guilds, sorcerers, the Crusades, the search for the Holy Grail, cathedrals, or whatever. Is it England, France, Germany, or some other place? From there you can begin to scope out a general storyline and a basic script. And that's where the tricks can come in.

Look at history books, art, legends, illustrations (Rackham and his early 20th-century contemporaries), and so on. Use the library, not the Web.

Good luck and keep us posted!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
xtreme_mixers
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of xtreme_mixers
Dream Concepts have somthing new on the market. It's a great amazing chop cup called The Goblet and it's mahogany wood. It is a replica of a medieval goblet, hence the name "Goblet." It's not a grand illusion but maybe you could do like a side story with it or somthing.
Matthew 7:5
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-08-03 20:25, kregg wrote:
Cremation, Sword Box, or a Stock Escape. Flash pots might be cool. Perpetual eggs - mouth to pocket and a chicken production. Perhaps an oversized cups and balls using leather cups, magic stones and a willow wand that shoots sparks.

Kregg

I did magic shows as Merlin for 26 years. I'll PM you with some things that worked for me.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Tercero
View Profile
New user
Spain
51 Posts

Profile of Tercero
Thank you Bill.
I can see that you're a master medieval magician.
I'll take in practice some of your suggestions.
Good point of view georgefl38 and good advice.

Thanks a lot to everybody!
This works!

- Pedro -
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Pedro, in addition to Bill's sage advice on doing period magic, the exact theme of the show would be helpful and the environment you will be performing in. You mentioned an illusion show. The impalement illusion comes to mind right off the bat.
I have also succesfully included the Princess levitation in my show for the past six years. This year we are doing a sub trunk as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Medieval Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL