The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Need help finding a coin... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sarcophilus
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
195 Posts

Profile of sarcophilus
I am looking for a coin to use in a routine dealing with the Ferryman of the river Styx. It's about why someone would put a coin under a dead-man's tongue or 2 coins over the persons eyes. They would do it to pay the fare across the river to the afterlife. But I am specifically looking a coin that I could use to represent the "devil". Either it could have a picture of the devil on it or maybe a pentagram. Anything along those lines. Anyone have any clues where I could find something like that? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Huh?

One is ancient Greek,
and the Devil... that comes later
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
Coins that old were melted metal then stamped.
Perhaps a jeweler could help you? However Im still trying to figure out how the devil gets into mythology?

Magickman
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
sarcophilus
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
195 Posts

Profile of sarcophilus
Yes I know. I am not really looking to give a complete and accurate telling of the mythology. It's just a quick little coin trick idea that I have been playing around with and was wondering if anyone knew where to come up with a coin like that.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
The old Hoo coins (I believe they still make them; that's short for "hooked" coins) had a devil on both sides.
They used to come in pairs -- one gimmicked, one regular. But they looked the same.
Check out most large magic shops.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Coins from french or german cabinet of physics (or curiosities) are not that difficult to find. They have a devil's face on them. (von F.J. Basch professor D.Magie)
A 17th century english copper coin exist with a representation of the beast of apocalypse but is not easy to find. I have one in my collection.
RBerteig
View Profile
Regular user
Monrovia, California
146 Posts

Profile of RBerteig
I have to say that I have admired The Curator and his approach to props, story, and presentation for a long time. His book The Capricornian Tales was the first "Bizarre" book I bought, and may actually have been the first magic book I bought when I returned to magic as an adult after a long hiatus.

By all means, seek out real coins where possible. The search will provide grist for stories, and the coins (or other props for that matter) will have a kind of authenticity that is very hard to duplicate without a knack for forgery and counterfeiting that may have other consequences.
Ross Berteig
Wizards in my Parlor
charles schneider
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of charles schneider
"......the Greek god Hades and the underworld were not evil and were not the Greek equivalent to Hell. The Greek God Hades was not the devil, and the river Styx was not the lake of fire."

The above quote comes from an excellent site all about HADES etc. This should help with your research and magical routining:

http://www.theriverstyx.net/

I tend to think that Mr. Townsend is accurate and sensitive in pointing out the ancient Greek reference. You can find very mysterious-looking ancient greek coins or reproductions on the internet easily. These are the sorts of coins that would have ended up on eyelids or the backs of tongues....awaiting passage. May as well get it right. The audience will subconciously feel the truth, that you've done the subliminal research. The images on these old Greek coins are often of leering Satyr heads which will evoke the very roots of the devil iconography. For as you may well know, "Satan" with all of the Goatish imagery was the Church's way of appropriating The Great God Pan. Folks had so much fun worshipping Dionysian based deities, what with the wine and the dancing and freedom....They had to be turned into the opposite of "Christ." In fact, Priapus and the other, mysterious rural and agrarian beings were worshipped in Italy into the mid-19th Century..(and are still worshipped throughout the world as we speak!)

You could also sculpt a couple of coin-like disks with cookable clay (like "Sculpy") from a hobby store. Sculpt, or have a talented friend, sculpt the small demonic face you require and emblazon with appropriate and ancient-looking language. Carve a magickal sigil into the other side - inspired by those found in a myriad of old Tomes. Spray silver or have a jeweler coat with silver or gold. "Age" with burnt sienna acrylic paint. This would be well worth the expense and effort. Best to use the imagination. It respects the history of ancient traditions & prevents unpleasentries, should you accidentally borrow iconography from a nastily potent source!

In a pinch: There are also Devil Heads to be found on certain Mardi Gras coins.....
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Just a quick reminder that one person's "mythology" is another person's religion.

It is not seemly or progressive to make light of other people's faiths.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
It just our luck that the highway into the afterlife is a toll road!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
sarcophilus
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
195 Posts

Profile of sarcophilus
Mr. Townsend you are right. I have no desire to offend anyone's religious beliefs. I will probably try and rework the story a bit. The reason I wanted to use the "devil" imagery was that Hades would not be as well known to some. I didn't want the coin to appear in my hand and go "Boo! Look it's the Devil coin!!" I really wanted it to be more subtle where the spec would see the coin and the images on it and come to there own conclusions as to what it represented.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

The pentagram is also a religious symbol for some folks.
Brother Kotah
View Profile
New user
wWsconsin
45 Posts

Profile of Brother Kotah
Coins with the devil on them. I think the Adams palming coins and Mysto magic coins each had a devil on them. If you do an E-bay search you may find these; or look for Mardi Gras coins. A devil image is sometimes on these as well. Shane's new book THREE has a fantastic routine called Coins For The Ferryman, and a few for his crew.
He who sees strangely
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Adams palming coins and the Mysto magic coins look a tad modern for this routine, though, I think.

Let me suggest that if there is a Renaissance festival in your area, you check with the people there who sell pendants. Some of these people actually have their own coin presses, and they can make things for you.

Also, check your local occult book store. Some of them carry medallions and pendants that would be perfect for this. Some are cast or struck carelessly, which will give you an air of authenticity.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Chevrie
View Profile
Regular user
West Texas
120 Posts

Profile of Chevrie
A visit to any coin shop should open a few doors for you. Good luck.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A visit to a locksmith will open even more of them.

;)
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Profile of Lord of Illusion
In doing a bit of searching for “Devil Coins” I ran across this as grist for the presentational mill…

http://www.linkjesus.com/devilmoney.htm
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

The Necromancer of the South
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Need help finding a coin... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL