The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Revolution.... Is it that bad??? or good???? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Thanks for the comment on my first video. I'll try to improve it. I'll soon post a video of me performing the strike vanish, all-around vanish and maybe another revolution. Smile

What vanishes do you recommend as an alternative for Revolution besides Fickel Nickel and Messiah Vanish?
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Quote:
What vanishes do you recommend as an alternative for Revolution besides Fickel Nickel and Messiah Vanish?

I recommend learning how to perform the vanishes that you know. There is no point trying to learn 100 sleights or ways to vanish a coin and not being able to do any of them well. It's not the vanish, it's the presentation. If your presentation invites the spectators to look for the coin, then you have lost already. Convince them that it is ACTUALLY gone, no matter what vanish you use.

Let me give you an example. My girlfriend knows a lot about coin magic, she knows how the retention vanish is done, about the CP, about... pretty much everything I do. If I do a retention vanish, she says she can't SEE where the coin goes, but she knows (unless of course I turn it into a sucker vanish but that's another story). In short, you could consider her as a magician spectator. Now have a guess what vanish that I do is most successful in fooling her. Get your copy of Bobo's and look up the 'Simple Vanish'. You'll probably say that vanish sucks. Maybe it's not the most clever and technically advanced vanish, BUT it leaves me all the room that I need to string it into a presentation, apply some misdirection and .. WHOA where did that coin go?!

I also have to agree with Bradley. There are probably more vanishes outside the 'Vanish' section in Bobo's than therein.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Install a topit and you can vanish coins like real magic Smile If you add some great misdirection plus some great presentation you will have killer coin magic.
Sleeving is also a great tool for great coin vanishes.
I saw Gary Kurtz many years ago in swden do some impossible coin vanishes, he used sleeving.
Looked like real magic!
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
I would also look into some of David Roth's work. Vanishes are nice, but if you don't have a full routine to go with them, I think they tend to get a little boring. Talking about the Messiah vanish, I have never seen it. Along with the All-around vanish by Gregory Wilson. Does anyone have a vid anywhere where I can see it? I have heard they are quite good.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
True the revolution vanish doesn't look natural, but neither does transfering a coin to the other hand in order to vanish it. If we were actually able to vanish the coin we could hold it in one hand, close the hand, open and it would be gone. There are methods of this, some not very clean though. Although the idea of having to put the coin on the back of the hand seems weird, it may fit perfectly into another routine for some weird reason.

I was at first very fooled by the vanish, but a few days later figured it out. Overall it wouldn't call this a good 20 dollar buy, it's on coin vanish that isn't suitable for all coin routines but can look very good. But, I think the idea is worth knowing for later reference when constructing your own or reconstructing another. If someone were to ask me where to learn a good coin vanish, I definately would ask them to look at Roth or Stone for learning, not the revolution.
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
730 Posts

Profile of ftlum
I bought the thing and while it's a nice complete vanish, for what you get, it's overpriced IMHO. It probably would have been better received by the magic community as a Talk About Tricks / Magicana write-up in Magic or Genii.

The way it is presented on the video is very unnatural looking, however it can easily be adapted to be done palm up. Also, it is best to not use it as a "here, burn my hands" vanish. If all you do is the vanish, it can fall into the "too perfect" realm; people can figure it out as there's not many places for the coin to go. It really needs good time-misdirection. If you do it on the off-beat in the context of a complete routine, it'll be much more effective. Using it as a switch is also good technique. This really has good potential as a utility move if you use it in the right way.

So would I recommend it? It depends where you are with your coin work. If you don't have a lot of coin books and videos, you're looking in the wrong place with Revolution. You'll get a lot more for your money with Expert Coin Magic, Coin Magic, or Bobo's. If, on the other hand, you've got tons of coin material and money to burn, Revolution is a nice addition-- just use common sense and don't do it the way it's portrayed on the teaching video. BTW, I personally have not seen it in print, including in Apocolypse (though I wouldn't be surprised if someone wrote it up somewhere else).

-- Frank
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Here's a small clip of me performing the
Strike Vanish
that leads to an
All Around Vanish..

click the link below:

http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=d&t=3535
joethebunny
View Profile
New user
Potomac, MD
31 Posts

Profile of joethebunny
Quote:
On 2004-08-13 14:10, Sirakor wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-08-13 07:20, joethebunny wrote:
I have Bobo's and I don't think any of the vanishes in that book look as clean as revolution. Then again, I don't have revolution yet but this is based on all of the footage that I've seen.

you are only as clean as the spectators think. some people are completely clean, yet the spectators doubt that this is the case... others hold out 4 coins in their palm, yet the spectators are convinced that they are clean.

furthermore, the revolution vanish doesn't look clean to me at all, the rigid hand positioning (why would anyone hold their hand like that?) is particularily fishy.
read bobo's again... there are many ways to use Bobo's complete vanish, and there are lots of sleeving moves too.

Your vanish is only as clean and convinving as your presentation. If you're not into devoting the neccessary time to coin magic, then - in my opinion - you're better off with something like the Raven or simple but unnatural vanishes like Revolution.

Why does thinking revolution is a good vanish make me "not into devoting the necessary time to coin magic"?
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
Quote:
On 2004-08-16 21:42, David Ranalli wrote:
True the revolution vanish doesn't look natural, but neither does transfering a coin to the other hand in order to vanish it. If we were actually able to vanish the coin we could hold it in one hand, close the hand, open and it would be gone. There are methods of this, some not very clean though. Although the idea of having to put the coin on the back of the hand seems weird, it may fit perfectly into another routine for some weird reason.

After watching the above demo videos, your statement that "Although the idea of having to put the coin on the back of the hand seems weird" is very true. In none of the videos is the back of the hand move natural or even motivated.

"If we were actually able to vanish the coin we could hold it in one hand, close the hand, open and it would be gone."

True.. True. I'm aware of one method for this and I've adapted it somewhat (probably not the first) and find it more natural and motivated than the "revoultion" vanish. (think fickle nickle meets melt). I've had great reactions with it.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

I just finished scanning my Bobo Book and went over all the techniques and vanishes.

So far, I've come up with one true fact. There is no such thing as a perfect and clean vanish. It depends on what situation you are, where you are and what you are wearing.

It is better to learn a couple of vanishes so we can be prepared in any situation that comes. Let's admit it, not all vanishes can be performed on the spot that leaves us clean.. Smile

I just finished scanning my Bobo Book and went over all the techniques and vanishes.

So far, I've come up with one true fact. There is no such thing as a perfect and clean vanish. It depends on what situation you are, where you are and what you are wearing.

It is better to learn a couple of vanishes so we can be prepared in any situation that comes. Let's admit it, not all vanishes can be performed on the spot that leaves us clean..
Gilmore
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Gilmore
When I saw the demo video of the Revolution vanish, I immediately thought of a perfect routine for this slight that took advantage of the placement of the coin on the back of the hand. But, since I allmost allways wear a jacket, I'm afraid that I won't be able to use this slight. Could someone who has purchased this slight confirm for me, via PM, whether or not this is true?

And, if anyone who is using this slight is interested, PM me and I'll tell you the routine to which I refer.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

What routine? You can explain it here without exposure..can't you?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Revolution.... Is it that bad??? or good???? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL