The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Is Magic Art? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Quote:
On 2004-09-01 10:11, jwebyra wrote:
... figure-skating, gymnastics, diving,or any athletic competition in which the winner is determined not by finishing the fastest or strongest but by scores by "judges"? We can call these people athletes because of the great skill by which they perform, but is really a sport? The same can be true is magic art.

Your point brings to mind a very definite split I've seen in the magic community over the years.
Magic has technicians, and magic has presenters. Some of us are great in one area, some in the other.
By way of example: I (we all!) know magicians who can dazzle us with the latest variation of an "Elmsley-Faro-triple-bottom-shuttle-flip-count-drop-pass-force-with-the-Acer-subltety-thingie", but leave us wondering *why* we've just seen what we've just seen because there was barely a story, premise, or even context for it. On the other hand, I've seen someone present an effect in such an entertaining way that it kept the house on its feet for several minutes, and managed to confound an inventor of magic (you would all know his name) for most of the evening, until he figured out that the whole thing was done with a simple (silly!) riffle force.
I do wish that more magicians could see and appreciate the differences in those areas, figure out which *they* do best, and get on with being great at it.
Both are necessary, each is wonderful, but most people are simply better at one than the other; very few are truly masters of both.

As for the original question: magic - like music, dance, or acting - is one of the performing arts.
Kenn Capman
View Profile
Regular user
Southwestern Michigan
196 Posts

Profile of Kenn Capman
Magic is a performing art. As in all other arts, there are skilled, talented performers/artists and there are those who are not as skilled and/or talented. There are those who work dilligently to improve and there are those who do not agressively pursue excellence. It's a matter of degrees.

Unfortunately, in magic, too many people see the method of an effect as the secret to successful presentation. As I see it, that is one of the problems we face as magicians/artists.

It is akin to a talented painter seeing a 'paint by numbers' piece on sale at a local arts and crafts show, or a skilled, practiced guitarist grimacing as someone whips out their six-string around the campfire.

I encountered a slow-witted wannabe one time who tried to sell me on the idea that one could not be an artist or know about art unless one had formal schooling in art. The individual further tried to illustrate his point by saying that he had a better understanding of art than most people because one of his friends was the offspring of two artists.

OK. Everyone can have an opinion.

I dated a girl in high school whose parents were both plumbers. That doesn't mean I can quickly and easily fix my kitchen sink or sweat pipes correctly.

There area lot of 'art school' graduates who work in unrelated fields. Conversely, there are a lot of people who make their living from art who have little if any formal training. (i.e. Eddie VanHalen didn't go to Julliard)
"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents."
- Salvador Dali -
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Just a point I would like addressed.

Are there any artists here?
I am referring not about magic but other disciplines of artistic persuit.

I for instance love to play and make music (will get a tune from any instrument). I love to draw (but am rubbish, but still have a go). I take photographs of many wonderful views and sights. I love working with wood and metal (sometimes I just love to get busy without direction). I have just rediscovered resin casting.
I make electronic circuit boards (I think is art). I follow fieldcraft. I involve myself with all of the sciences.
In short, I am looking for ways to express myself and have become adept at many forms. I produce art many times a day. whether it be by any one of my interests or just the way I brighten someones day with a funny remark.
I had a go a that design a card website. I got mine on Smile 2'o spades. I just had to express myself.
By my reasoning, an artist is someone who wishes to explore the universe and show others what they find.
I have always got my explorer hat on (no not a real hat folks, stop imagining that right now!) looking for things great and small.
The hardest thing for me is discipline. My interests are so diffused I find it hard to complete one project before I get distracted by another new marvel.
I hope this gives you some new information on the subject without me sounding like a swaggerer.
My current interests are towards genetics and viruses. I am learning a lot by myself as it is a very deep and creative subject. even though it may sound quite the opposite.

Thats me for today. Things to do...
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Kenn Capman
View Profile
Regular user
Southwestern Michigan
196 Posts

Profile of Kenn Capman
Besides magic (close-up, mentalism, stand-up, stage, & corporate work):

- I am a semi-professional photographer and will be opening a studio within the next year.
- Have had poems, feature articles, lyrics, plays, and short stories published.
- Edited several small publications and magic manuscripts.
- Write and produce music. (mostly my own solo work)
- Aforementioned music/sound is used in various theatrical productions. (everything from my own stage shows to Phobia House, the haunted attraction I co-produce)
- Graphic design
- Production design
- Produced, directed, and acted in a number of theatrical productions.
- Storyteller
- Consultant

Like you Partizan, I find that art is something that I MUST do. I have so much in my head that just screams to get out that I've had to develop several routes for the different ideas to manifest for an audience.

If you can find a way to manage your self-discipline a little more, I believe you will see a geometric increase in the quality and quantity of your work. At least that's been my experience. When I'm in a highly-motivated, self-disciplined state, I am much more productive than when I 'tinker.'

In addition, there is a certain satisfaction in the creation of a work for one's own enjoyment. (Art for art's sake)
"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents."
- Salvador Dali -
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
The problem with magic as a performing art is that it is performed rarely but done alot.

As for a fine art, I believe any fine art must start with a question and then move into a process.

It is difficult for magic to do this at the same level as it needs to be somewhat perfected before it can be shown unlike paintings which can be more experimental.

Basically it is about the intent of the artist. If the intent is to fool and amaze people then this does not lead to art.

but that is ok

matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Is Magic Art? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL