The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Parrots (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
What is the quietest (if there is such a thing.) of parrots? I am in a house, but it is a two family, so I have to be cautious. I was thinking African grey? I know they talk alot, but so I've heard, they don't screech a lot. I'm sure I could be wrong.

Thanks guys,
Justin
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Check out eclactus parrots, the famales can be really quiet. A good friend of mine had one and it was the coolest bird, they are talkative as far as repeating goes, but she really wasn't that loud.

sperris
DANSPERRY.COM
Jkta99
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
109 Posts

Profile of Jkta99
Senegals are known as apartment birds b/c they are so quiet.
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Thanks guys.. info much appreciated.

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Hey there. Just a quick note - all birds, like people are different. Some birds like to quietly whistle - others like to SHRIEK and SCREAM. I don't think that you can really make a generalization about specific species and be sure that you will be getting a quiet bird. For instance, I have owned Senegal parrots (a small colorful parrot - slightly larger than a dove in overall size with a comparitively large grey head). The senegal parrots (both that I had hand raised) got me evicted from a townhouse apartment, they were so loud with a very shrill shrieking high pitched cry. I didn't mind so much (you get used to loud bird sounds) - but the nieghbors weren't too fond of being 'serenaded'!
Also, a lot of species of parrots tend to live a very long time. They are each individuals and are very interesting and can become really attached to you; and you to it - which can make for a rewarding relationship and bond.
They are also VERY demanding of your time and attention (they can become very jealous of anyone else you share your time with), so be darn sure you are ready for that kind of commitment before you decide to simply 'get one for the act'. It would have to be a pet and friend first before it becomes a co-performer.
Good luck
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Wow! The whole bird crew is in the same forum. Good morning all!

Unfortunately I do not know of a quiet parrot. I live with a Quaker Parrot (Dobbie) that not only is hard to train but also unbearably loud and active. But I keep trying. It has been two years. (Did I say "long and loud" years?)

When you find the secret I want to know too!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
As long as the parrot is kept busy and contented, they are normally quiet. My african grey sometimes copies the screaming of my Moluccan Cockatoo and that seems to annoy me at times. But in general, all my parrots are quiet most of the time.
If you are living with some other people, I don't suggest a parrot for you unless they can tolerate the parrot's noise aside from the feather dust and messy food habits.
I live along the boulevard and the passing vehicles make more noise than my 8 parrots. Parrots are quiet during night time.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
DVA
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of DVA
There is no such animal as a quiet parrot.
Damien is dead on the money. A person needs to think through the commitment to owning a parrot. Parrots are HIGHLY social animals they communicate by calling to one another. If noise is an issue for you in any way do not get a parrot. Are there other people around? Some birds will bond with one individual and will attack everyone else.
Damien also mentions that parrots can live a long time some species as much as 70 or 80 years. Please Please Please think about "WHY" you are looking for a parrot and weigh that against the responsibility of caring for one. I have worked with so many birds that were a family pet only to be given away because of noise, allergies and aggresion issues. Again please think about this as it's a major life changing decision.
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Hey sorry guys, I guess I didn't really clarify myself all too well. As a lot of you know on the forum, I have been looking for a parrot for almost a year now. I've done a lot alot a lot alot of thinking, as well as research. I really would love to have one. I only live with one other person, and she does not mind. Attention would NOT be a problem. I spend more time with my animals then I do with my girlfriend (oh trust me I pay for it). For example; I found a baby wren on the street, about a week old. It need much love and attention, not to mention being handfed every two hours on the hour every day. Unfortunaly Opie passed after a week. It is amazing the bond you can create. It would start on one side of the room and run over to me and try to climb up my leg. It would also open its beak and try to put it in my mouth for me to feed it. I created a major bond with Opie, so I know what you mean as far as attention. I really don't mind.

If anyone knows of anyone, or you yourself, that is looking for someone to adopt, please let me know. Thanks!

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
As a species (and there are great differences among individuals) I believe the pionus to be the quietest parrot, a lot of other people seem to agree with it because I've seen that stated on a number of websites. I had a wonderful Pionus parrot named Miko (he died a couple months ago...congenetal kidney disease). When I first got him he was fairly noisy, but once he got used to his surroundings he was a very quiet bird.

Weird thing, I think maybe I taught him to be quiet. If he started squawking, I'd say in a really quiet voice myself "inside voice, please." And he'd tone it down in response to my own quiet tone. It got to where people thought he understood perfect English because he'd listen when I said it. I think maybe he did, too, because whenever we went outside, he'd start chirping at the top of his lungs. I let him, I figured it was good for him to get it out of his system. He went to work with me and I'd ride my bike twelve miles to get there with him on my backpack (that was the only time I'd let him ride on my shoulder or back). He loved it and would always get really noisy during the ride, but once arrived at work he'd hush up for the rest of the day until the ride home.

Realize, though, that you probably won't be able to have it both ways. African greys talk well, in part, BECAUSE they're noisy. They like to make noise and hear themselves and hear responses. The talking is simply because they can choose to make noises that imitate you. Miko was very quiet, but he also never learned a single word. He preferred his parrot noises when he made noise at all. I'm sure there are relatively quiet parrots out there that also talk, but I would imagine they're a minority.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Parrots (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL