The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Cultural thing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
It is amazing how many calls I get to do shows where the birthday child is turning one, but the rest of the kids range in age from (usually) 2 - 10.

I live in a culturally diverse area and I am told that in a lot of cultures, the first birthday is very important, especially if it's a boy.

I have learned to be pretty flexible because a one year old won't be much help during the "birthday trick".

I usually get the mom or dad to help on their behalf.

What do you folks do?
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
It has been my experience that First year birthday parties are held primarily for the parents so I adjust my show accordingly.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
I recently did a show for a two year old... There were aproximately 25 other kids ranging from 3 to 12 years of age, along with about 10 parents... In this type of situation, I guess the key word is flexibility. Be ready to perform something that will interesting for everyone. Making sure you get complete information as to what type of audience you will get from the person who is hiring you is the first step to a good preparation for the show.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Your telling me you don't do the vanishing baby in the tip over box! he-he
Matt
AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Profile of AragorntheMagician
In HotLanta both the India & Brazilian communities throw BIG Parties for one year olds. There are usually 40 - 50 kids & 80 - 100 adults. The entertainment is for those 2 years old and up. They have party favors for the kids and the adults. What's good is that they also like these parties to start around 9PM on either Friday or Saturday night. It adds two new timeslot/party gigs per week. Both groups do like to dicker and haggle however. The parties are amazing.

Yours and having fun on Fri & Sat Nights,
Aragorn TM
aka: Bob
aka: I used to be BOB (It's Cellini's fault)
"All Right, Who's Volunteering to be Turned into a Frog???"
www.aragornthemagician.com
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
In HK, the Chinese culture also dictates that the first birthday is of great importance. I have found that most of the guests are relatives and the children present range from babies to teenagers. For me, I do a family-type show with tricks for the different age groups but I always include a trick where the parents and birthday baby come up together. Usually, the baby (with dad or mum's help0 will hold a wand and tap on a chick pan to produce a Peachy Keene sponge birthday cake (with ONE candle! Perfect!!!) Just something so the parents (aka clients) can have a photo or video opportunity! And to ensure return bookings!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Another important event in the Chinese culture is the one month celebration. Whenever I have been hired to perform at these functions, I attend with a little paper top hat for the baby. This makes for a great photo opportunity and keepsake for the parents.

Usually, these events involve table hopping rather than a full stage show. I make sure to keep everything family oriented with a little something for each possible age group.

The one thing you have to remember at these shows is that there are LOTS of other parents there, many of whom do have slightly older children. I pass out business cards at every opportunity and usually, I get 2 or 3 additional bookings as a result.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Cultural thing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL