The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Buttermilk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Just wondering how many Buttermilk lovers hang out at the Magic Café'.
Buttermilk seems to be one of those "love it or hate it" food items. I for one LOVE Buttermilk but not all brands. Tuttle's Bohemian style has always been a favorite but I can't get it where I live so I must wait until I visit California. I just found a Buttermilk that is just as good as Tuttle's but is a bit different, it is put out by Wilcox and is a Belgium style Buttermilk. Wilcox is a bit different than Tuttle but every bit as good.
I find that many Buttermilk's on the market have a sour taste and leaves a chalky film in the mouth and I suspect that many people who hate Buttermilk have only tried these objectionable brands and have not had the opportunity to try a really good Buttermilk.
I also find that those few people that I know who do like Buttermilk don't just like it but LOVE it and will consume it with gusto.
Any Buttermilk lover's out there? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this subject. I would also love to hear from those who don't like Buttermilk. Smile
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
HI there Iven,

Well, I actually haven't tried butter milk myself. I have read up on how much saturated fat it has and for that reason alone I won't be trying it either, even if I have a chance. I'm too old and have struggled with losing weight forever already. I want to see my kids grow old and have enough energy to have fun with my grandkids, rather than dealing with heart disease from too much fat.

Sorry, probably not the best post you were hoping for. By the way, I'm normally a happy positive guy, and sorry for pouring water on the fire.

Normally cheerful,

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Howdy JoJo: Glad to hear your input. I don't blame you for not wanting to try Buttermilk. Family is the most important asset that anyone has and the risk of not being able to be there for them is not worth all the Buttermilk in the world.
I don't drink Buttermilk as much as I would like to for the same reason's that you stated. I probably average a gallon a year but I sure do enjoy it when I have it. I also enjoy Liverwurst but usually only have it at Christmas time as a special treat. Liverwurst is pure cholesterol or close to it.
It seems that so many of the things that I really enjoy are either fattening or illegal Smile
No need to appologize for your post, you are just being honest with your reply and for that I am grateful. I was just trying to get some feedback on Buttermilk and your response is appreciated.
Thank you JoJo and enjoy your Family.
Iven Smile
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I love Buttermilk Pancakes! But have never tried drinking it straight.

I wonder how chocolate flavor buttermilk would be.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I tried buttermilk as a kid (my parents hailed originally from Martin County, Kentucky), and had to put myself on the 'hate list' for buttermilk, as well as for pickled corn.
On the other hand, I love bread & butter pickles, tomato dumplings, shuck beans, and wild rabbit.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Astinus: I have often wondered what chocolate Buttermilk would taste like but when I get the Buttermilk I get so anxious to drink it, the thought of adding chocolate doesn't come to me until I drank it all. I'll have to give it a try.

Steve: Bread & Butter Pickles, Yum-Yum. Those are my favorite type of Pickles. I have only had homemade B&B Pickles once and they were pretty darn good. Knott's Berry Farm in California used to make their own Bread & Butter Pickles and were the best I have ever tasted. I don't know if Knott's Berry Farm still makes them or not but I have heard that they no longer make their own Jams and Jellies but have them "Outsourced" instead.
Are Tomato Dumplings the same as Tomato Chutney? I have never heard of Tomato Dumplings.
Wild Rabbit, is there any other kind? How about Frog legs? I Love Frogs. Smile
Iven Smile
Profan
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Profan
Chocolate buttermik is.......interesting. It's not disgusting, but it's not the most delicious thing in the world. I certainly wouldn't make more than a serving of it at a time, because you'll get tired of it fast.

When I was younger, I hated buttermilk, but lately I've been liking it. I can't drink a lot of it at once, so I'm still not a hardcore buttermilker. lol I like it because it has the flavor of the half-sold half-liquid stuff on the plate when I make a baked potato, that's a combination of sour cream and butter. Yeah, I'm a freak. I know.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Tomato dumplings? Basically the same as chicken & dumplings, except you use stewed tomatoes instead of stewed chicken.
I love frog legs, but don't tell my 'ventriloquism partner,' Lydia Lilypad. She's a frog puppet who shudders when someone mentions French cuisine. Smile

Is Knott's Berry Farm still an amusement park? I visited there as a kid around 1965.

My family also spent many a Saturday at Corriganville, when stuntmen performed western gunfight shows. We were given a lift to the main entrance once by Max Terhune (aka 'Alibi'), the ventriloquist who was, with his vent figure Elmer, featured in the Crash Corrigan 'Three Mesquiteers' westerns.
Smile
Steve
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Wow Steve: I am going to try your Tomato and Dumplings, sounds Great! I LOVE stewed Tomato's especialy with small chunks of green bell peppers and just a very little dab of sugar.
Don't worry about your Partner, I don't eat animals that talk. Smile

As far as I know Knott's Berry Farm is still going strong but from my understanding it is much more of an amusement park (more rides) than it was in day's past. I have not been there since about 1974 but in 1965 when you were last there it was still very much the same old place (and free admission).
Most of my family have worked there at some time or other and I worked there for a little over a year. I worked for Virginia Refsnider <sp> at her "Virginia's Gift Shop" Warehouse. I used to spend many of my lunch breaks talking to her Father Walter Knott (I would have lunch sitting on his favorite bench) and we became pretty good acuaintences. I miss those days.
I got my start in Magic because of the Toy Shop across from the Basket Shop. The Toy Shop had a counter with all kinds of Magic and a cool guy doing the Demo's. Of course, after buying my very first Magic trick the Cups & Balls (after a week of watching his demo) I threw away the instructions and did exactly what I watched in the demonstrations. When it did not work I finaly got out the instructions and then discovered that the "extra" ball was not an error but part of the method. How naive can a 10 year old be. I was hooked on Magic for Life.
Iven Smile

P.S. A Link to Knotts Berry Farm History for anyone interested.
http://www.knotts.com/coinfo/history/index.shtml
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
In Texas a popular salad is a iceberg lettuce wedge with buttermilk dressing. I can't think of the recipe off the top of my head, but I'll look for it. I also know of a Appalaichan recipe for buttermilk pie. Sound familiar Dr. Midnight? I'll try my best to find these, but my recipe archive probably resembles some of your guy's magic book/ magazine collection. Trying to find a specific trick sometimes take a while.
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Never heard of buttermilk pie.

I have had sweet potato pie though; not much different from pumpkin, taste-wise.

Course, if'n ya want to go proper hillbilly (I'm a second-class hillbilly by lineage): soup-beans (cooked with a ham hock or hawg jowl), cornbread, fried taters and green onions (with sweet or buttermilk, whichever flips yore tail over yer back).

Good eatin'!

Steve
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2004-08-29 12:03, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
Never heard of buttermilk pie.

I have had sweet potato pie though; not much different from pumpkin, taste-wise.

Course, if'n ya want to go proper hillbilly (I'm a second-class hillbilly by lineage): soup-beans (cooked with a ham hock or hawg jowl), cornbread, fried taters and green onions (with sweet or buttermilk, whichever flips yore tail over yer back).

Good eatin'!

Steve

I Love Beans with Ham Hock, Cornbread and Fried Taters with Green Onion's. Don't forget the Fried Green Tomato's.
I recon I must be a Hillbilly, if not by lineage then by choice.
I guess that explains my Love of Rockabilly Music. Smile
Iven Smile
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

How can I forget fried green tomatoes?!? Those are great as a snack all by themselves! Same can be said for the potato pancakes you make with leftover mashed potatoes.

Steve
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
If anyone is still interested, I have found my recipe for Buttermilk Pie. PM me with your E-mail if you're interested.
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
I LOVE BUTTERMILK.The stuff saved my life.No plain old cultured buttermilk which is thin and watery,but not high in butterfat despite its name.I love Bulgarian buttermilk,a thick,rich,lofat milk,like drinking sour cream.Lusious on thick oatmeal with brown sugar.
All the stores and resturents in Memphis carry it but I've never found it anywhere else.
Even if I didn't like the taste I'd keep it on hand for firt aid, a glass will absolutely stop an ulcer or spastic colon attack,like slapping a big bandage on your guts.
Incedently,it doesn't come from Bulgaria.The name refers to L.Bulgarus,the youard culture,it is really a thin yogard,easily digested and nutricious.It's my mirical food.Do you have it in other parts of the country?
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Buttermilk is your friend >embrace every taste Smile
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
I grew up miking cows by hand.
Buttermilk? Been there, drank that, barfed on the t-shirt.
myname1960
View Profile
Regular user
Chris from Ohio
111 Posts

Profile of myname1960
My dad is from Mississippi so it was normal to have it in our house when I was growing up.

The 1st time I tried it I was about 9 or 10. I spit it right back into the glass. He passed it off as milk and trust me its totally different.

But all things aside I did acquire a taste for it and had it frequently with cornbread. Did I mention my dad was from Mississippi, lol.

Chris
xander
View Profile
New user
Belgium
1 Post

Profile of xander
Butter-milk(boter-melk) is usually part of my breakfast,
and since I live in Belgium,I guess its belgian style...(though I do wonder what that really means)but its not such a contraversial food-item over here... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Buttermilk (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL