The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » What color dove harness (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
Hi,
I am planning on performing a dove production from a zebra striped silk. Should I use a black or a white harness?

Ben
Jkta99
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
109 Posts

Profile of Jkta99
A harness or a holder? I assume that you are talking about a holder. In that case I would say have a holder made of the same material as the silk. But I am just starting out with dove magic so I am sure some of the more experianced members will chime in.
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Just take a white dove holder and a black sharpie and color the stripes on the holder. That'll work...

SperriS
DANSPERRY.COM
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Benscholz99,

Dan's suggestion works fine. It is also easy to just put another folded zebra silk around the harness and staple it to it, if it is just for an occassional show. Zebra silks are cheaper than good harnesses. So, even if you have to cut one up, it will work. (Hint: It is OK if the covering silk sags a little. It is supposed to look like the silk.)

For years I worried about having newsprint harnesses to match newspapers until I had to use a white one one time. Nobody cared but me. On stage I don't worry about it matching anymore. Of course, I use the newsprint ones when I can, but it is not carved in stone. I try to just keep a couple of white harnesses in my emergency box and just don't sweat it. Show the dove!

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I wouldn't get hung up on matching a zebra pattern. Personally I'd go with white. I used to rehearse with opposite colored silks/harness to see if the harness flashed. The old timer's used black in most cases.
POOF!
benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
Thanks for the suggestions.

Ben
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Quote:
On 2004-08-31 18:03, kregg wrote:
I wouldn't get hung up on matching a zebra pattern. Personally I'd go with white. I used to rehearse with opposite colored silks/harness to see if the harness flashed. The old timer's used black in most cases.

It's still good karma and a good idea to be trying to match the holder as much as possible. I've seen a lot of what would be considered "the best" dove magicians flash holders that are matched to the silk, it still happens and it happens to everybody. Especially if you're a beginner or doing it when the audience is close, you can't be too careful.

SperriS
DANSPERRY.COM
benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
Yeah. I am going to try that sharpie thing. Thanks.

Ben
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ben,

Every working magician needs an emergency fix it bag. A Zip-Loc bag with a few extra silks and a red and a black Sharpie will bail you out many times on the road. You can make more than zebra stripes when you need them.

There are times when ending the routine with "Congratulations with _______________", "Go Tigers!", "25 Years Together", etc. on a silk they can keep gets you booked again. It's cheaper than a sales call!

Scheme!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
Good Idea!

Ben
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » What color dove harness (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL