The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Rough and smooth (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
I want the real stuff back...I had used the last of my stash about 2 years ago...NOW...I really wish I had some...I've tried Matte Spray (RustOleum...which is crap) but have not tried the Krylon or Testors brand. Do these work better or is there something I am missing??? Thanks, RJ
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Those are the ones.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Thanks...On my way to the hobby store now...
lllmagic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of lllmagic
Good for hiding the aces
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Use a couple of Rough/smooth for corporate walkabout I do many of!

Plays a strong as normal deck

Light touch is the key.......
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Just a further point on this topic.

I've also used the spray but it doesn't seem to last as long as the old style Roughing Fluid in a bottle that you'd apply with cotton wool.

Is this still available?

(Added to which, I used to love the smell of it! Smile)
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
So, Merc...which do you find is best for magic? Will the spec be able to 'see' one on the card more than the other? Does it work better on blue cards, or red? Maybe one works best on one color, and the other works best on the other?

How do they reflect in light? Does one let you push the cards better from left to right, and the other better from right to left?

Does the liquid really smell better than the spray?

Do you think it is better to leave the cards to dry for an hour, as some say, or overnight, as others say?

Do you smoke when you apply it?

:)
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2011-04-04 20:12, Chessmann wrote:
So, Merc...which do you find is best for magic? Will the spec be able to 'see' one on the card more than the other? Does it work better on blue cards, or red? Maybe one works best on one color, and the other works best on the other?

How do they reflect in light? Does one let you push the cards better from left to right, and the other better from right to left?

Does the liquid really smell better than the spray?

Do you think it is better to leave the cards to dry for an hour, as some say, or overnight, as others say?

:)

I've always found that roughing spray works best on blue backed cards; particularly those with precisely the same thickness - but only if they contain 2 identical Jokers. To this end, ask your local magic dealer for an ultrasonic thickness gauge. This measures the speed of propagation of the ultrasonic waves in the given material, and then converts this speed to the thickness in millimetres, applying a suitable mathematical formula.

It's always best to perform with roughed cards at sunset; particularly during the Vernal (or Spring) Equinox. It isn't as effective during the Autumnal Equinox as cards tend to warp for some reason - particularly on 22nd September (unless your 'gig' happens to be on the Celestial Equator when you may just get away with it). Another reason for recommending blue backs - they tend to contrast with the Sun more effectively. If your cards warp in the Sun, you may want to try a 'Joe Porper Parasol'. Failing this, you could always apply Ambre Solaire Factor 69 to each card - they may still wrinkle slightly but will take on a lovely bronze colour.

Don't, under any circumstances, use Jerrys Nugget's with roughing fluid. 2 cards subsequently adhered together will resemble the thickness of a paperback novel and fool nobody - unless you are working for Stevie Wonder - in which case he won't be able to tell that its his thought of card that's turned face up anyway.

As for cards being spread from left to right or right to left. Some may say that this is dependent upon whether you are pushing the cards with your left or right thumbs. Not true! I'd highly recommend Marlo's book - 'The Ambidextrous Rough & Smooth principle' where he explains 58 various versions of spreading the card to the left with the left thumb; whereas Volume 2 actually shows you how to do this 97 different ways with your feet. If you aren't into books don't despair - L&L sell a six hour DVD - explaining just one method (in front of a 'live audience' - who just happen to be the local Tahoma Branch of 'The Window Lickers Society').

Turning to the liquid v spray question. The liquid roughing fluid definitely smells better from a bottle. In fact, it's quite therapeutic and can be poured over 6 year old Pot Pourri to re-enhance the pungent aroma of 'brainwave'. Not only will this save money but if you also use the bowl of pot pourri as an ash tray, the resulting flames will keep a nice fire going for an hour or two - thus also saving you gas/electricity. If you do happen to use the roughing spray, then re-use the tin by cutting it down to make a pot for small plants from your garden - it can be a centre piece on your window sill and a talking point when friends visit. Alternatively, affix a magnet inside and voilà - a home made chop cup. Make sure that your Wife or girlfriend doesn't get the can mixed up with her hairspray; or if she gets too close to a friend, it may well prove the old saying that "two heads are better than one". Please note that I cannot be held responsible for any of these money saving tips.

If you've any further questions Chessmann then please don't hesitate to contact me at I'vefinallylosttheplot@aol.com
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:

*LOL*
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-04-05 14:19, Merc Man wrote:
If you aren't into books don't despair - L&L sell a six hour DVD - explaining just one method

Hmmm... Do you think six hours is enough?
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2011-04-05 17:03, Chessmann wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-04-05 14:19, Merc Man wrote:
If you aren't into books don't despair - L&L sell a six hour DVD - explaining just one method

Hmmm... Do you think six hours is enough?

Are you trying to say that Michael Ammmmmarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr isn't a good teacher?! Smile
Barry Allen

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Rough and smooth (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL