The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » The new "must have" for dove workers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
The disease is called histoplasmosis. Just do a search online or on the Café. There are probably other diseases you can get, but the best thing is to be careful not to disturb the dust on and in the cage when you change the papers. Roll up the papers slowly and stuff them into the trash gently.

If you want to know how much dust is getting spread around, just change their paper near a sunny window. You will see that dust fly! Adjust your handling accordingly. Smile
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2007-12-10 00:33, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
The disease is called histoplasmosis. Just do a search online or on the Café. There are probably other diseases you can get, but the best thing is to be careful not to disturb the dust on and in the cage when you change the papers. Roll up the papers slowly and stuff them into the trash gently.

If you want to know how much dust is getting spread around, just change their paper near a sunny window. You will see that dust fly! Adjust your handling accordingly. Smile
Autumn

It seems to me that you can only get this if you have are allergic to animal dander. I don't know I will have to do a search. How many birds does it take for the dust to become deadly?
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The question isn't how many birds does it take to make you sick but how much of a risk are you willing to take? Dander is dander and it isn't an allergic reaction. The dander can easily get in your lungs and that's the problem. Obviously the more birds you are close to, the greater the risk but you are in close contact with a single bird for extended periods of time, the danger is still there.
Where the magic begins
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Histoplasmosis has nothing to do with an allergy. It is a fungus that lives in the dust from the poop.

Remember, I suggested that you do a search on google? There is a great deal of information there. Here is one link from the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/histoplasmosis/DS00517

I know this disease. I have had it.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Jeffrey Korst
View Profile
New user
SF Bay Area
92 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Korst
As Dave and Autumn say, it is not an allergy. I don't know how Histoplasmosis (that she had) differs from hypersensitivity pneumonitis (that I had). A brief look at google suggests they have similar causes and symptoms. You don't want either one.

Even getting rid of the birds and taking steroids (prednisone) to reduce the imflamation, I am left with measurably reduced lung function.

Autumn and I have made recommendations above. Google with provide more info.
Why, yes. I do need new pictures. Why do you ask?

Jeffrey Korst
San Francisco Bay Area Magician
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Histoplasmosis is a real pain.

I am so sorry you had this, too. Mine was a long term asthma-like situation that my doctors chose to let my body work out on its own. My lungs are near-perfect now.

In severe cases, docs take action for secondary symptoms with meds, but the actual disease rarely responds to anything because it is a fungus. I am sure you know this but: Please watch out for that prednisone, Jeffery. You might consider getting a second opinion. Steroids often cause some long-term problems like diabetes, depression, psychosis, skin-thinning, and worse. There are some less harmful steroids on the market to help your inflammation.

Geez, I sound like the drug ads on tv...You know, the guys who sound like a fast-talking auctioneer with a thousand vile warnings spoken in 10 seconds Smile
Doug Henning
Jeffrey Korst
View Profile
New user
SF Bay Area
92 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Korst
Thanks, Autumn, but not to worry. My bout with this was in 1991.

Lung function wise, the last measurment did show some reduced function, but there really isn't anything I am not able to do. I do a fair amount of backpacking and hiking. I get winded a bit more easily than I'd like, but recover quickly. Still wouldn't want to revive the bird act, though.

Glad to hear your lungs are ok, too.
Why, yes. I do need new pictures. Why do you ask?

Jeffrey Korst
San Francisco Bay Area Magician
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Well, I live in a house with 9 doves and based on the information here, I bought myself and my friends an ionic breeze quadra as our christmas present. Will let you know how it works out. Thank you for the important info!
Tony
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Our pleasure, Tony!
Doug Henning
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Hey All ~
Well, I have had my Sharper Image Ionic Breeze for a little over a week and I want you all to know that it is amazing! The room my doves live in is so much fresher, there is little / if any dust like before. It works so well I purchased another! Definitely get one (or two) of these if you want to improve the indoor environment of your home. A GREAT purchase! Thanks All!
Tony
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I know of a dove magician in my area that died a sudden and mysterious death about 15 years ago. He kept his doves in a small garage and spent a lot of time out there.

I recommend keeping doves outside. They do fine in cold weather and hot, and I swear they breed better outdoors. My house smells better too.

One final note of interest:

The last time the IBM and SAM combined there convention was in 1976 in Philadelphia. A week later, in the same hotel another convention was booked and a mysterious disease broke out killing 34 and infecting over 200. Investigators say the illness was caused by pigeon poop getting into the air conditioning--not sure if magician's doves had anything to do with it. By the way, the convention that was booked a week after was the Legionnaires convention--and the disease was named, Legionnaires’ disease.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Here is a web site that has some very good deals for Canadians. I don't know if they ship international. It is where we got our air purifier.

We keep a dozen doves, 2 finches and a couple of rabbits indoors. The air purifier really makes a difference.

http://www.heavenfresh.ca

All the best,

Rob
LarryTaylor
View Profile
New user
Miamisburg Ohio
72 Posts

Profile of LarryTaylor
Histoplasmosis, is very real and something to take seriously
Magical Entertainer,teacher and creative consultant.
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
I'm a big advocate of keeping doves in an outdoor cote, too. Smile You'll be happier and so will the birds.

Very interesting story, Ken. If that has been discovered a week earlier, it would be called magicians' disease instead of legionnaires' decease!
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Yes, and doves may have been outlawed after that. Smile
www.KenNorthridge.com
Illusionist11
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Illusionist11
So...if I keep them outside, I will be fine and not get any disease....plus..how cold can the doves be...what should I put them in outside...can I use some type of heater...I live where it snows ...what should I do? My biggest concern is my health.
Jethro Magic
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Jethro Magic
Illusionist11,if your biggest concern is your health.i suggest not to use doves or live animals.
Illusionist11
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Illusionist11
But...if I have them outdoors...I live out of the city..I own 11 acres...I'm sure that trhere is no possible way I can catch anything with the air flow around here...I am just wondering what temperatures they can withstand...and what to do to the cage to make it warm inside for the winter.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Illusionist11,

Doves can withstand cold weather. Ask their cousin, the pigeon. The only thing I do is put plastic up to block the cold wind. Greg Frewin lives in Cananda and does the same thing.
www.KenNorthridge.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » The new "must have" for dove workers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL