The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Tarantula (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Anyone used this in your act before? Are they difficult to keep and how dangerous are they?
I am thinking of loading one into a chick pan or as final load to a cup and ball routine.
Any input will be appreciated.
Finally where can I buy one and how much would they cost?
FM
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
FM,

I owned a Tarantula for about 13 years. They are not at all difficult to keep. You just have to clean out their cage occasionally and be able to provide a constant supply of live food. (Crickets, grasshoppers, etc.) Mine was a huge Mexican Red-Leg female. After I bought her, I heard that these spiders were put on the endangered list, so they were no longer available to purchase.

Different species have different levels of poison. Most are not deadly, HOWEVER, if you have an allergy, such as bee stings, then they can be deadly! I am allergic to bees and I talked to an expert about it. Also, they have poisonous hairs that they dislodge that can really irritate and cause a rash. They kick these hairs out as a defense mechanism to irritate the eyes or even temporarily blind a potential threat. Also some species are much more aggressive than others. For example, the Honduras Black Velvet is a very ill tempered spider and more likely to bite than a Texas Cinnamon-Leg. Females are larger and brighter colored than males. I do not know the current cost of them but you could check at a pet store.

I would recommend that you buy a book on tarantulas and read it before you buy. Tarantulas are not for everyone, so make sure you can give it the proper care and that it really is what you want.

Hope this helps.

Regan
Mister Mystery
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Thank you Regan. That is really useful information. Will check out some books. Thanks again.
FM
Visit my website
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
You're welcome FM. I believe I forgot to mention water in the above post. They need fresh water regularly. They also need a warm environment. They don't tolerate colder temperatures well. I had an aquarium heater that I used in the winter months sometimes. They are fascinating creatures.

Regan
Mister Mystery
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I have yet to see someone use a Tarantula, but I would like to some time.
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Chris Angel used one in his street magic. Scared the wits out of some of his victims!
FM
Visit my website
TheMagikOne
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of TheMagikOne
Gentleman at the magic store here in Tulsa was speaking of how he used a mirror box and about four or five large tarantulas,,all males. To get them to emerge out of the mirror box after it was shown "empty", he had order female tarantula scent and put it on the outside of the mirror box. When he opened it up they immediately crawled out. This is the same man that bought parana to put in his appearing fish bowl.
SnakeBabe
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
90 Posts

Profile of SnakeBabe
I use a tarantula in my presentation of Jim Paces WEB.
I perform the trick with a tarantula crawling in my cleavage. When the trick spider appears the shock is so much greater But...

As stated earlier there is a danger in both in the urticating hairs they use in defense and they do have venom. If bitten it does hurt. Also add that they do require special care in feeding, temperatures, humidity, handling, day/night light cycles and let's not forget some tarantulas do not like being handled at all. They can live over ten years and that’s a lot of care for one trick. You might want to think about how dedicated you will be to this living creature prior to purchase.
Hugs and Hissessss,
Maria
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
I had a tarantula when I was a teenager. Crawled all over me and made other people's skin crawl. I never had an incident of it biting me or any rash from it crawling on my skin. I got it from a teacher at school. I believe it was a California Desert Tarantula and was easy to deal with. I guess since I lived in Southern California it didn't notice a change of environment. But as with any living creature you add to your act, I agree you should know what you are getting yourself into and make that commitment ahead of time.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
SnakeBabe
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
90 Posts

Profile of SnakeBabe
Quote:
On 2004-12-29 00:20, TheMagikOne wrote:
Gentleman at the magic store here in Tulsa was speaking of how he used a mirror box and about four or five large tarantulas,,all males. To get them to emerge out of the mirror box after it was shown "empty", he had order female tarantula scent and put it on the outside of the mirror box. When he opened it up they immediately crawled out. This is the same man that bought parana to put in his appearing fish bowl.

I would have to see that to believe it. For the most part tarantulas are cannibalistic. I would think if you have 4 males together they would attack each other. You do not house male tarantulas together with the exception of maybe “Pink Toes” in a very large vivarium but in such a confined space its doubtful. Also, where would someone get female tarantula scent?
I would love to see this on video someday
Hugs and Hissessss,
Maria
brendan_670
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of brendan_670
I have a tarantula right now. if you are going to get one, I would recomend a rose haired. they are very common in pet stores. you don't have to worry about keeping the humidity up just keep a full water dish in there at all times. they are very docile and will rarely kick their hairs off. I don't know anyone thet has been bit by one but they have about the same venom as bees.

brendan
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
He sounds like something produce from a crystal casket.

You could explain that it has been a while since you have done a show and produce him from a change bag!

It would be fuuny too to vanish a liquid and produce the spider.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Hi,
I own two tarantulas and use one of them in my shows all the time. I have produced her from a mirror box, from silks (I keep her in a plastic toothbrush holder from Wal-Mart). This has small holes for plenty of air and they are small enough that she can't get out. It also allows the kids to safely look at her up close without being able to touch her-I don't like to hold her myself.

I have two rosehair tarantulas and they are by far some of the calmest of all the tarantulas. One is around 6 yrs old and the other is close to 10. The pink toes are another docile group, but they are pretty small compared to the rosehairs. Overall, they are very easy to care for and I love having them in my show.

Have a great day!
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
I was told that the more you handle tarantulas...... they get more aggresive....... I had one for many years and only handled him every now and then ....he seemed ok ........ is this true?
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I wouldn't know, I never hold mine with my hands. When I put them in their containers I just put the opening near them and they usually walk right in, maybe out of curiosity. If they don't, I just nudge them a little and they will usually go forward. Mine are getting up there in years and are no more aggressive than they were to start with. It all depends on the type of tarantula you've got. Some can be quite aggressive and are always kicking their hairs at you, etc.

That seems like a myth to me. My experience says that they are either aggressive or they are not.
brendan_670
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of brendan_670
Ya that sounds like a myth to me. I hold mine at least once a week and has never been agressive.

also if you do get any kind of tarantula your best bet is to get a female-they live A LOT longer than males.

brendan_670
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Tarantula (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL