The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Hey all,

I have recently taken a keen interest in Bizarre Magick. Maybe because I am a fan of the paranormal and what not, plus I love Halloween! I would like to get into a little of the Bizarre but all I have that could classify as a bizarre piece would be the haunted key. Are there any good books or dvd's/videos that deal with this genre of the art? Where are they available and what not? Any help would be great. Thanks to all in advance! Oh, and Happy Halloween! Smile

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Profile of Nyama Possessor
Phil,

Understand that Bizarre Magick is 90% if not 99% preformance (i.e. storytelling, vocal direction, character development, etc.). In all honesty a Bizarre Magi should be able to keep the audiences attention for an hour just by telling an interesting tale, with no magick! Once one can do that, then start incorporating magick. Too many Bizarrists don't understand the importance of presentation, & in turn are ruining Bizarre Magick! One must first learn the concepts & theories behind Bizarre Magick before beginning to preform it. You cannot simply "dive" into and start performing Bizarre Magick, first you need to hone your craft. If you have a true interest, I would HIGHLY recommend the following:

- "Eugene Goes Bizarre" (Video or DVD)
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/pr......p;page=1

- "Strange Ceremonies" By Eugene Burger (Book)
http://www.elmagicshop.com/cgi-bin/webc.......56676.6b

- "Spirit Theater" By Eugene Burger (Book)
http://www.elmagicshop.com/cgi-bin/webc.......77476.60

- "Haunted Magick" By Rick Maue (Book or Video)
Book:
http://www.elmagicshop.com/cgi-bin/webc.......29476.e1
Video:
http://www.elmagicshop.com/cgi-bin/webc.......29476.e1

- "Being A Treatise On The Theory & Presentation Of Magick" By Brother Shadow (Book) $40.00
You can e-mail Brother Shadow directly about how to order his book: broshad@aol.com

Hope this helps!

-- Krossbearer
The Honorable NYAMA POSSESSOR

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

* 17 Year Member of the Shadow Network * ICBM Alumnus *

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Just to second Krossbearer's post, bizarre magick is indeed very bizarre. It is not all about wearing black, and talking in a graveyard voice. Think entertainment, entertainment, entertainment! The ability to captivate through the evoking of emotions is a must, if any branch of magic needs acting skills this is it!

Research the paranormal, strange events, UFO's, anything that evokes a sense of unease, yet wonderment at the same time. You will need to find out what it is about those things and project that to your audience. It is not enough that you do strange effects, you have to believe that what you are doing is real!

Spirit Theater is a great recommendation if you can track down a copy of it. Also look to anything that covers storytelling, or stories themselves.

Have fun and enjoy!
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
I have been using Black Hart's Big Black book (www.blackhart.co.uk). Now whilst I have only started with Bizarre Magick myself, I have found this book to be a real asset. There are some great routines and ideas described in terms that even a beginner such as myself can get comfortable with.
I've just ordered "Haunted Magick" as well.
Simon
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
The Compleat Invocation
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
I can add Christian Chelman's "Capricornian Tales" to the list of bizarre books. Also consider Borodin's "Sherherazade" (that is the spelling used for the title). It was translated from German by Bill Palmer.

Chelman has two other books out: "Compendium Sortilegionis" and "Legendes Urbaines". However, both are available only in French. Chelman's French is difficult, even for someone majoring in French in college. (Great pictures, however.)

The old Altar Flame magazines are also an excellent source. They have not been reprinted, and you must wait for someone who owns a collection to die.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of saheer
Don't forget Punx! There's an English translation of "Once upon a Time" available.

All magicians should emphasize presentation but, as was said above, Bizarre magic is usually about the story - the magic reinforces/accentuates it.
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
Phil,
Try going over to Bizarremagick.com and look for Little Shop of Horrors. Look up Jim Magus. He has some great books on magick and its not pipe dreams!
A lot of good stuff there! All books listed are available.

Magickman
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Thanks for the input guys. I am also thinking of picking up Eugene Burger's "Eugene goes Bizarre" dvd. Has anyone seen it? Is it reccomended?

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
Phil,
The Eugene goes Bizarre is a catalyst!
Eugene has an interveiw with Tony Andruzzi.
Introduces you to Jay Inglee's Magick.
Also has "An afternoon with the Magician" short film
Eugene's Bizarre Magick
And an indepth teaching of "The Haunted Deck".
I bought this as a tape AWHILE ago,and I still watch it today. Just watching this video will get you in a creative mood. No secrets other than the deck but it's a must have video for a look at the presentation of bizarre magick!
If you like the video, get Eugene's Spirt Theater Book
if you get a chance! Also Strange Ceremonies covers most of what Jay does on the tape. Another excellent book by Burger!

Magickman
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
Anything by Eugene Burger is great for those interested in Bizarre Magic. Probably not as extreme as some, but much more commercial (works in just about any setting).

You might also consider anything by Robert Neil (Life Death and Other Card tricks, Through the Looking Glass, etc.). Also not as extreme as some, but very interesting material.
roguemagic
View Profile
New user
bizarre iowa
96 Posts

Profile of roguemagic
There are a few of these titles available on Ebay, including the Compleat Invocation and even Seance.

Take care,
Craig
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre Books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL