The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Fairy tales (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
Is there any reference for this one? I'm planning to do a routine where you bring your audience in a world of fairy tales. I mean some effects and stories that will make them feel like a child again, thus believing in fairies and candies. Smile
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Great idea.

Grim's Fairy Tales....pick up a copy of that collection.

You won't regret it.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
You may be interested in Sheherazade as well. It has some excellent stories and some nice effects to go along with them. The first part of the book is fairy tales and then moves onto to darker tales and some great mentalism.

Hope this helps on your journey.

Take Care.
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
831 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Look for Once Upon a Time by Punx.

Dave
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
As far as stories are concerned there are many, but I'd suggest you look for the reprints of what were known as the Blue, Red, Green & Yellow Fairy Tale books of the early 20th century. These are the original fairy tale format in which the wolf wins, the dogs die, and other such displays of the macabre that were modified in latter editions (so as to sate the demands of a passifist public.) Believe me, many of those little fairies were vicious little dudes!

There is a book (I don't recall the accurate title) that includes a fairly strong compilation of Irish lore about the little people as well. I think it was something about the Celtic Fairy Faith and it's a "anthropological" styled work.

As to effects... well, I've found that getting familiar with the stories and having a fetile imagination will lead one down the right path. Try to stay away from commercial systems or else find ways to modify them so as to meet your needs... making them more "original" if you would. This is the secret of the adept storyteller, who allows the magic to be secondary, serving more as a "special effect" vs. the chief focus.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
On the topic of Grimms'. Those two brothers put forth the stuff of Bizarre way before many of us were gleams in our great grandsire's eyes.
Do be sure to READ some of the un-adulterated and Disneyfied versions, it is not pretty stuff. If you want the fun fairies, then use those Red, Blue fairy books, but if you want the bizarre, then hit the Grimm's, and some of the various books on the folktales of Ireland, or other countries that were "converted" early on, their friendly pookas and helpers were turned to demons and minions of the great evil.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Tspall
View Profile
Regular user
Lumberton, NC
147 Posts

Profile of Tspall
Grimm's fairy tales were definitely early Bizarre! Red Riding Hood was eaten by the wolf at the end but the woodsman came in and cut her out of the wolf's belly.

Cool...Smile
Tony
"It's showtime!!"
My magic blog:
http://ahora_mismo.blogspot.com/
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Aesop's Fables, some of my favorite literature and almost everyone is familiar with them.
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Get a copy of Eddy Lenihan wonderful book: “Meeting the Other Crowd”, or Henry Glassie “Irish Folk Tales”.

There are a million stories there to work with.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det......v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det......v=glance
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
I second the idea about Punx. His books ,if you can find them, make for magical reading.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
The color fairy tale books are available from Dover at very reasonable prices. There is a variety of stuff in them from original folk tales to full blown literary adaptations. (Abielle by Anatole France is one of my favorites)

I think all of the original Grimm's can be found online.

Also, don't forget Andersen and Wilde for some great stories.

Finally, read Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens for some interesting fairy lore. This is not the famous Peter Pan story, but part of another collection that tells how Peter Pan came to the fairy world. There's some very cool ideas here. One of my favorites is the idea that all babies speak the language of fairies, but as they get older, they loose the ability and can eventually only speak human.

There is an abundance of fairy stories all throughout the late 19th and early 20th century. A lot of people during this time took fairies pretty seriously and believed they were real. Arthur Conan Doyle very much believed in fairies and if you can find a copy of his father's journals, you will see he also believed in them also.

Good luck,
Richard
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2004-10-09 10:15, Osiris wrote:
As far as stories are concerned there are many, but I'd suggest you look for the reprints of what were known as the Blue, Red, Green & Yellow Fairy Tale books of the early 20th century.

Don't forget the Silver Fairy book (and the gold one). The first story is a text by French actress Sarah Bernhard, and totally adaptable to a routine...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
IF you want magic, look to our literature.

If you want theatrical works, look to the theater.

If you want tricks/routines/presentations... then you may as well wallow in the magiK shoppppee
...to all the coins I've dropped here
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2004-10-18 07:42, Jonathan Townsend
If you want tricks/routines/presentations... then you may as well wallow in the magiK shoppppee

Ha ha! That made me laugh long and hard.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Fairy tales (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL