The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Boy Toys (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
When I do a birthday party I alway buy a special prize for the birthday child. Now, with girls, I've found that the most universally appreciated item is a teddy bear. This appeals to virtually all ages that I normally perform for (i.e. 4-7)

However, boys are a bit more difficult to buy for. What I'm looking for is something not too expensive and will appeal to 4-7s. I've thought about magic sets but over here in the UK I've been unable to find something that is a half-way decent prize at a suitable price.

Any ideas?
Mark
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I just have boxes full of different bits and bobs.

I have:
Bouncy balls
Mini magic wands
Whistles
Parachute men
Wiggly worms
Puzzles
Bubbles

And sometimes sweets, if it is a halloween party I give out things like skeleton lolly pops.

Matt
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Mark, we started off giving quite valuable prizes to the Birthday Child, i.e. Airfix kits were all the thing in 1978 for boys. We did however find the booker was either embarrassed at this, or maybe thought they were paying for something they didn't want.

I'd pay attention to what Matt lists above myself. Although you don't want the kids to start playing with these items during the party, so maybe best to have a 'presentation' at the end?

Sincerely, Tony.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
The birthday child helps with marmite the lions routine and then magics him/herself a 4"mini marmite beanie. I found a place on the web who sells them and it works out about 88 pence each.

This is done right at the end so they don't play with it during the show.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Hi Mark,

There is a liquidation store near my home, this is where I generally buy all my stuff.

It has videos that are really cheap and also some great art sets. Both of these are great for both boys and girls.

One thing that I often get for the boys is a little game - it comes with 2 round velcro mits that you can slip your hand into, and a velcro ball.
This always seems to be a winner with the boys.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Billy
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
INFLATES! In the US, Rhode Island Novelty http://www.rinovelty.com sells inflatable smile-face balls (kids 4-), butterflies (girls 4+) and really amazing Y-Wing Spaceships (boys 5+) that cost me 50c to $1.50, give me about 3 minutes of added performance value, and the birthday kids love 'em! There are other outlets - I'm tired of Oriental Trading Co, and US Toy isn't bad.

Surely there are similar wholesalers in other countries.

Hint: stay away from inflatable swords or any other kind of "bopper" - parents hate 'em.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Another thought is to assemble your own Magic Set and include inside an offer for the parents to subscribe to your "trick of the month" club... they would pre-pay, of course Smile
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2004-10-10 03:43, Julie wrote:
Another thought is to assemble your own Magic Set

I like this idea and it is something I have thought about before. Has anyone got any ideas of tricks that can be used and bought quite cheaply?

Mark
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Mark -

Magic Kits have been discussed on several threads before.

Perhaps use The Little Darlings index, or do a search, with "Magic Kit" as your keywords (because sometimes the topic is buried in the middle of other threads). Also search with similar keywords in the Tricky Business section.

Here's one thread, that was in the Tricky Business section: Cafe thread... Stuff to sell after shows.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
tgcramer38
View Profile
New user
Longview, WA
35 Posts

Profile of tgcramer38
Hi all. I have contimplated using giveaways for awhile now. I think it will be a nice addition to my act. We have a Dollar Store near by that often carries small magic kits for well, a dollar.
Thank you Mark for asking the question,
Cramer
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Mark:

I like Julie's idea of assembling your own magic kit. Ken Scott, in his birthday video, has a kit he gives - he bought a shrink wrapper so that the kit looks more valuable.

I think boys would love this, plus you can include all your contact information in it.

Ron
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I give them a t-shirt with my logo printed on it. All the kids at the party sign it. It's really a nice memento, and something they'll get nowhere else. And, other kids will want one! Guess what? They'll have to have me at their party to get one ... heh-heh!
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2004-10-10 20:32, Starrpower wrote:
I give them a t-shirt with my logo printed on it. All the kids at the party sign it.

That's another really great idea. Something I may look into!
Mark
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
The thing about magic kits is they will find the secret, and realize its all gimmicks and fake. They won't pay attention to the magic when they know it's not real.

Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Boy Toys (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL