The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Cemeteries & The Nature Of Fear (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
A major part of the fear, and the concept of ghosts, vampires, etc., stems from the primorial problem of death itself.
Someone you knew died. The remains are still there, but the motivating force and the ego are gone...or are they?
Are the dead 'gone,' or does the ego move on...or simply hover about us.
Do the dead remain dead...or can they rise again, as with a vampire or zombie?
Hence the traditions of burial. Place the body in the ground or a tomb where it will remain imprisoned. Be sure to bury it respectfully; dress it well, maybe bury its belongings with it.
Let it have no reason to want to come back to level a grievance against the living.
In a nutshell, ancient man's confusion with death, and their fear of the dead has never left the human psyche.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2004-10-12 11:43, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
... The remains are still there, but the motivating force and the ego are gone...or are they?...

Correct, and if you did not have unfinished business.... why would you worry?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
I couldn't agree more, Jonathan. We all have unfinished business or unrealized desires.

So in some ways, cemeteries are less about death than they are reminders to the living to do the things we dream -- not later, but now, before we no longer have the opportunity.

It reminds me of the Rider Waite tarot card depicting Judgment: people standing in their graves, called into action by the archangel's trumpet blast.

Wake up! T'kiyah! Carpe diem!

Best,
Neil

Quote:
On 2004-10-12 11:53, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-10-12 11:43, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
... The remains are still there, but the motivating force and the ego are gone...or are they?...

Correct, and if you did not have unfinished business.... why would you worry?
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I really enjoyed working in a cemetary and the mechanics of working there were a revelation. The traquility of being there from dawn util night fall were comfortable.... Add to that, I had hundred of people under me and many more dying to get in! (I just couldn't help it...)
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
As peaceful as cemetaries can be, I think there will always be a small part of us that is uneasy being reminded of our eventual fates. There's always that little voice out there that whispers to us, "Yes... you too will be here one day... count on it..."
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Cemeteries & The Nature Of Fear (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL