The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Geek Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
How about real/fake iron bar bending?

Chains - cuffs escapology?

also

I encore the gimmicked sword swallow, but for an alternative to swallow try this impromptu Head Spike.

I have used a real sword with a thin shiny steel bar same width as the blade (like a table knife minus its handle) and clinging to the real blade with a strong NIB magnet.

You slide the tip hidden behind the real blade by 'polishing the blade' with a rag.

When you are ready you push the false tip as far as possible beyond the real tip and hold the two at the actual real tip with the rag.

Now you can put the sword hilt on the ground and push the fake blade back down into the rag by pressing down with your forehead.

Looks like the blade is driving up into your skull. Have the real tip blunted in case you become over enthusiastic.

that's geeky.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
[quote]On 2001-12-12 11:26, Prophet wrote:
Is the Sword ladder in swami mantra? You know the one where a performer climbs up on the edges of swords like a ladder? Smile

Actually, it is in Swami Mantra. It is called Dracula's ladder.

Smile
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
[quote]On 2001-12-12 11:26, Prophet wrote:
Is the Sword ladder in swami mantra? You know the one where a performer climbs up on the edges of swords like a ladder? Smile

Yours In Magic

Mike

It is on pg 71 in Swami/Mantra, listed as Dracula's ladder
Slim & Krista Price

[quote]On 2002-02-21 12:36, Burt Yaroch wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-02-21 10:59, Eric Starkey wrote:
Two quick comments. The term "geek" is not one used by those "in the know". It's actually considered a derogatory term (used mostly by magicians). Neither "Geek" nor
"Barker" are are used by the "real boys".

I feel like I'm having a conversation with my wife here. Smile Who are these quotatious persons and why are they the measure of my manner?

And since you have become the resident P.C. Police Eric, let me point out that most words, in and of themselves, are not derogoatory (this includes geek and redneck). They only become such with the users context or intent. Even racial epithets may be both detracting and amiable.

I guess what I'm trying to say is while I appreciate your forthrightness and respect your opinions, we literally have an entire globes worth of dialects and languages here at the Café. Thus any one persons concept of what is and is not derogatory cannot be applied universally (we can't even agree on what "impromptu" means).

You just have to understand that we are all adults, we are all guests of Steve and Co., so none of us would ever stoop to belittling another. If someone were to, I'm sure the moderators would be all over them. Just a thought. Smile

Eric's statement is both valid and accurate!
In the sideshow, a geek is considered the "bottom of the barrel" Usually sick both in mind and body, they will do anything to get a fix of whatever they use, and are shunned (Not our practice with other performers)
As an adult, I'm sure you will realize that proper language use is a curtesy.

Quote:
On 2002-04-09 02:57, RangeCowboy wrote:
How about real/fake iron bar bending?

Chains - cuffs escapology?

also

I encore the gimmicked sword swallow, but for an alternative to swallow try this impromptu Head Spike.

I have used a real sword with a thin shiny steel bar same width as the blade (like a table knife minus its handle) and clinging to the real blade with a strong NIB magnet.

You slide the tip hidden behind the real blade by 'polishing the blade' with a rag.

When you are ready you push the false tip as far as possible beyond the real tip and hold the two at the actual real tip with the rag.

Now you can put the sword hilt on the ground and push the fake blade back down into the rag by pressing down with your forehead.

Looks like the blade is driving up into your skull. Have the real tip blunted in case you become over enthusiastic.

that's geeky.

From Slim Price...
If we do it for real, you call it "Geek Magic" but if you fake it, you call it real magic. Somethin's not right here!
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
tim_mantis
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of tim_mantis
I understood that a Geek was the legitimately used term (used by those 'in the know') for the sideshow act in which live or raw animals are eaten or bitten into.
The Enigma's entomophagy springs to mind.

Tim

PS I would love to hear more about brainman's 'throwing up worms'!
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
A word on the ladder of swords: don't!

As for strong man stunts: The Joe Weider bodybuilding course included a booklet of strongman stunts among the "bonus books" that came with the course. It included tearing card decks and phone books, bending spikes, barehand spike driving, resisting the pull of 4 people, etc.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I guess if you want to associate yourself with geeks, you know best. Geeks were usually winos or junkies who were so desperate for a fix that they would bite the heads off of rats, chickens. and or snakes. Words mean something.
Slim Price
By the way my wife and I teach all the sideshow acts for free in San Diego CA. We charge nothing, put you up and feed you for up to three days. We love the shows and I spent 50 years learning the art. Get a teacher, even if you know it all, it never hurts to have someone who can watch and point out possibly better ways to do the acts.
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
I haven't seen anyone mention Bile Dew. Go to my nephew's page, http://www.georgethegiant.com

He is a famous performer and does a piece where he drinks a liquid, it is pumped back out of his stomach and served. That is about the grossest thing I have ever heard of, but it was LA of course.

On a higher note, he is a real sword swallower and, no, you probably don't want to learn that. Trust me.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
Quote:
On 2001-12-12 11:26, Prophet wrote:

Yours In Magic

Mike

The sword ladder effect can indeed be found in Swami / Mantra - on page 71 of the Mantra half of the book. Oh, and it's listed as Dracula's Ladder!

Saxon
PAN
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of PAN
Aren't there some good explanations for these kinds of effects in Houdini's book on carny type stuff? - I can't remember the name of it though.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
The Houdini book is Miracle Monger's and Their Methods. The history part of the book is good, but the some of the explanations are of dubious value.
Darko
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Darko
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Geek Magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL