The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Has anyone used these? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
I need to replace a vintage silk that I got in a trunk of old magic. But the prices I've seen make me shutter. Has anyone had any experience with silks from on-line sources like E-bay?
Thanks,
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Silks only cost a few dollars, I don't understand your problem. You had not mentioned what trick you were using the silk for, so it is hard to advise. The new diamond silks only cost $3.00.

I do not use commercial silk in magic. It is usually very heavy and will not perform properly.

As a last resort just wash, dry, and iron your vintage silk.
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Oh, sorry, I guess more explaining is in need: I do a crystal silk chamber where I put 7 small silks into it and transform them into one giant tye dyed silk. The one I'm using right now (the vintage one) is atleast 10 feet long and 2 feet across. I can't just iron and wash it, it is developing holes in it and I've torn it a bit in one spot. The holes/tear don't show because I double the silk up to display it. To replace it with something only a fraction of the size would cost me $45 from Hughes magic. The ones I've seen are the same weight as the heavier silks Hughes sells.
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Sometimes there's only one way to find out: give it a try. I have two of Richard Hughes silk streamers (each is 12 feet long). All I can say is that they are both stunning and excellent quality. I think I got my money's worth and will order form him again in the near future.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
I like the silk streamers as well. Right now, in some of my smaller tricks, I'm using one from Magicwarehouse. It's 20 feet long, and very colorful, kids love it!
Good luck!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I briefly looked at a site on ebay. They may do the job for you or not. I believe that they are made of rolled hems which do not hold up too well the way we use silks. They are fine for women's scarfs and such but they just do not hold up.

The rolled hems are also bulkier. Also I really don't like the colorations on the silk. It might be ok if you are working a Greatful Dead concert but they are too busy for magic. Just a personal opinion.

If I can help you further, let me know. I might have something that would work out for you. You can always go to 6 mm which is thinner but still pretty strong (weave wise).
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Richard,
What to you call the hems on your silks?

Obviously not rolled.

Thnx,
Bruce
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Magicman1319
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Magicman1319
Fccfp.

flat hems.

wizardofsorts

You can also try P&A silks. They make some very high quality silks including the streamers you are looking for.

give them a try, their website is http://www.PASILKS.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
They are double turned flat hems. They must be double turned to seal in the raw silk edge.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Well, I got my silk from the store on ebay I mentioned. It seems to work fine. It doesn't quite flow out of the cylinder when I pull it but it's a very subtle difference that I'm sure will not be detected. Of course I can't be sure how they will hold up because I've just got it but I could keep you updated. By the way, the one I got I don't think looks like a Greatful Dead Concert but it sure did smell like one.
Edd
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Remember, you get what you pay for! I am sorry you do not see the value of a good product. Of course if you do free shows, I can understand your problem.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Hi, Edd! I took a chance on the silks from the person on E-Bay that you got them from. Not bad at all. I ordered two 24-foot streamers that were 12-inches wide. I originally wanted the heavier 8 momme silks but wound up getting the 5 momme streamers because I needed to compress them into a smaller space. The dye job was quite good. No hems at all though which I was concerned about but the seller responded very professionally throughout and even answered questions about hems versus no hems. Hey, I got both streamers for $60 and so far the lack of hems have not been a problem. I got these streamers for a Duke's Dye Version routine. One I got in yellow, blue, and red and the other streamer was neon green and purple ---- the latter is my favorite! Taking a chance paid off this time. I will order form her again depending on the need but will also order from Richard Hughes for streamers with hems a with a different artistic touch. Actually, I just got two silks from him with some hand drawn designs. I love silk magic!

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Has anyone used these? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL