The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

emeline
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of emeline
Hi,

I would like to know how many kind of okito box does it exist ? And what are the best tricks with an okito ? I know Roth has some fabulous trick but what else ?
David Nelson
View Profile
Elite user
San Mateo, CA
404 Posts

Profile of David Nelson
That question could create some very long answers Smile

The question about okito boxes could be answered two ways. First, there is one okito box. Anything else, is not really an okito box Smile Or, you could say there are many types of okito boxes. The most common are the the standard okito, the boston box and the sucker box with an opening too small for a coin which make up a set called the O-Kort-o set because Milt Kort came up with an awesome routine using this set. It can be found in Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic and better described in his book, Kort, from Hermetic Press. Beyond those boxes there is also the slot box which has gained huge popularity since David Roth included one in his set. The first I've seen of a slotted okito box was in the Roth set but I'm not sure if he was the first to put the two together. Jimmy Z has a nice slot box as does Viking. You can also get a solid Okito box which works the same as the sucker box but has no opening at all, either way, they can't get the coins in. There are boxes with holes in the top and bottom to all spectators to see the coins and there are magnetic okito boxes and there are boxes which have no bottom. I think that's all I can think of off the top of my head but, suffice to say, there are many different kinds.

Since the okito box is utility device and not a one trick wonder there are as many tricks that can be done with it as you can think of. Just like with a deck of cards you can use the box and some coins to do all sorts of tricks. I've seen it used for appearances, vanishes, transpositions, teleportations and penetrations. You can't go wrong with Roth's work on the standard and slot boxes. Much of his work on the standard Okito is in his book, Expert Coin Magic, but I think his work on the slot box is only available on video or DVD. I know he includes some info with his set but, since I own a Jimmy Zachary set I don't know what kind of tricks are in there. Other than Roth, I'd look at Mike Gallo's stuff. He published a few routines in Richard's Almanac and he has a killer Okito routine in his video, The Legacy Continues. We expect him to release a book one of these days with even more material but it could still be a few years away.

I hope that helps,

Dave
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Emeline,

Dave's answer is certainly a great one. And I agree, there is really only one actual Okito box. The one I use is many years old and is a simple brass box with the "pin hole" through the center. It is the one described in Mohamed Bey's book, The Okito Box Book.

I don't remember where I bought mine, although the odds are good it was through the mail. The important thing is to go to a magic shop and hold them, see which type feels right. Some I have found some that seem too heavy for me or too "clunky" in the hand.

Also remember the box should be incidental to the magic rather than the star.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Emeline, there are various kinds of Okito boxes, but they're all variations on the basic ungaffed box.

For that reason, I believe you should become proficient at handling the basic Okito box before moving into any of the other kinds. I can't recommend a better book than David Roth's EXPERT COIN MAGIC, which decribes every possible move that you could ever think of with an Okito box. His Okito Box DVD, which is Volume 2 of his "Ultimate Coin Magic" series, is also very good and contains most of the same material. See http://themagicwarehouse.com/vidco2.html#dv9604

My own preference in gaffed boxes would be a magnetic box. These are made by Johnson (as the JoPro Box); see http://themagicwarehouse.com/johnson.html#jo1422 ChazPro makes a Magnetic Buddha Box, see http://themagicwarehouse.com/coins.html#co1084 . ChazPro also sells a separate unadvertised shimmed lid that can be very useful, even with an ungaffed box, if you use a magnetic coin.

I think a magnetic box provides a more practical holdout than a slot box, but then you have to keep track of the shimmed coin. Well, there's no free lunches in magic! While the Boston Box is impressive, it strikes me as a one-trick utility item, and it's not examinable, either. The Sucker (undersized) Box is a nice way to end the routine if you're good at box switches and use it as a mystifying puzzle, rather than as a way of humiliating your spectator.

I also agree with Frank's comment that the magician, not the box, should be the focus of the trick. I simply introduce the box as the container that I keep my magic coins in. This minimizes the importance of the box and helps take some of the heat off of it.

Good luck with your coin work! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Dominique Duvivier (which is french, as you certainly know since you're french too) marketed a box which is named (modestly) "Duvivier's box".

IT allies, with only one box (and some extra features) the clean-ness of a regular okito box, the Boston box illusion, and the "solid" box ending, without any switch. It is a bit expansive (not so much), and, afeter all, you can use it as a normal okito box when not performing the Duvivier's routine.)

You can find it in the Mayette shop (Paris, just near the Place Maubert) and ask Yannick to show you a demo of the routine. And you can trust him: it doesn't involve any switch.

That being said, I think that mastering the regular Okito box is a good basis and gives opportunities to perform miracles. But, I bought the Duvivier's box, and I use it as a regular Okito, or as the full-fledged Duvivier's one.

Jonathan.
Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
Speaking of Okito box routines, a number of years ago I ran across a routine where the coins penetrate the hand, followed by the box, then by the lid. Does anybody know the origin of the routine?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Could that routine have come with your O-Kort-O box set?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Speaking of Okito box routines, a number of years ago I ran across a routine where the coins penetrate the hand, followed by the box, then by the lid. Does anybody know the origin of the routine?

Jerry Sadowitz and Peter Duffie had published a routine the title of the book eludes me right now. Also, Paul Cummins had a version in his first set of lecture notes FASDIU...an excellent set of notes by the way!

Mike
Number One
View Profile
Regular user
Mike J Kelly
164 Posts

Profile of Number One
Robert Swadling has a nice box called 'Bobs Box' it is Sh***ed & anodised in black the lid has concentric silver rings. A good routine is provided. Like all Bobs products it is of superb quality with excellent documentation.

Regards
Mike
Smile Guess which hand the frog is in.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Roth has very many effects with the boxes....not just one.

Choosing a set of boxes can be long...you have to decide if what size you want, of what kind of material they are made, etc.

I had Roy Kueppers make me a set of 4 boxes, and they are GREAT.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
k
View Profile
Loyal user
Marseille
283 Posts

Profile of k
Quote:
On 2004-11-04 03:21, Number One wrote:
Robert Swadling has a nice box called 'Bobs Box' it is Sh***ed & anodised in black the lid has concentric silver rings. A good routine is provided. Like all Bobs products it is of superb quality with excellent documentation.

Regards
Mike

Where to find Swadling's box? I have trouble finding his internet site...

Personally, I think Okito sets are great but, I don't feel like opening or ending a routine with Okito effect as I don't think it looks REALLY magical...it just go along with the rest and don't provides kicker effects... but it's my POV...

Or maybe I don't add enough of "verbal presentation"

There's a great monte effect using 2 Okito and a slot box (or was it a Boston??? think so)
I'm just a blind Con that lost his I...
remember, Magic's everywhere... ("Your are the magic !" - Albert Goshman)

"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple. On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux" St-Exupéry
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Personally, I think Okito sets are great but, I don't feel like opening or ending a routine with Okito effect as I don't think it looks REALLY magical...it just go along with the rest and don't provides kicker effects...

Meir Yedid published an Okito Box routine of mine that is highly visual and has a great kicker ending...it can be done as a closer to any close-up set. Also, see my "the Dynasty Continues" tape produced by Randy wakeman for yet another visual routine with yet another kicker ending!

Mike
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I had A book out Last year Called Poff. coin box magic.
It had some Okito stuff in it. But it was mostly Boston box stuff! And Chaz Pro Will be puting out
( Hopely Soon Smile) A Video tape Or maybe A D.V.D. On ten of my routines with a Magnetic Budda box! Thanks!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
http://www.coinjurer.com
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Over-routining the Okito box in all it's variations is not appropriate for performance before "people", just Magicians.

The emphasis should be on the COINS, not on the box!
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Over-routining the Okito box in all it's variations is not appropriate for performance before "people", just Magicians.

Wanna bet?

Mike
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-11-06 01:46, Julie wrote:
The emphasis should be on the COINS, not on the box!
The emphasis should be on the performer not on the coins or box Smile
Example?
Fred Kaps' Homing Card.. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Touche' Smile
gene plampin
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of gene plampin
Quote:
Also, see my "the Dynasty Continues" tape produced by Randy wakeman for yet another visual routine with yet another kicker ending!

Mike,

I just watched this today and I agree, it's a great routine with a kicker ending.

Gene
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL