The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How NOT to attend a mentalism show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
I think anytime one attends a show of magic or mentalism or psychic demonstration or whatever - that the attendee should never perfrom anywhere near the venue, in line, in the audiecne, after the show standing aroung etc. Nor should one announce or discuss that they have, are or been interested in the topic - openly in front of other audeience members. That is for restricted private conversation if the performer is at all interested.

Nor should one offer to show the performer a thing or two unless the performer requests it of you.
Nor should one volunteer how one thinks anything is done, tell no one, not friends, family or starngers during the show or anywhere near the show.

I think people attedning a show should support the performer, encourage others to do the same. One should never market oneslef, mention that they do something similar, are an entertainer etc.

When I attend with friends of perfrormers I am a schlep who helps them carry things. If I am a friend in the audeince I never state that I do anything like what they do.

After all it is their evening, their show, their night, they are to be the star - no one else. It is tacky, childish to to or behave otherwise.

Yes, sometimes people make mistakes and this post is directed at no one. The thing is -

elevate the performer. Good karma will come back to you if you consider generating good will.

Everyone who performs has horror stories and stories of annoying audeince members who are magicians, entertainers, debunkers, curiosity seekers etc.

If you pretend to be in the arts at all - the respect the art itself and the people who help professionally perpetuate the art. And if one can't do that - one should stay home.

My 2 cents worth.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Chris certainly understands this situation well. In the market he is working one does not want to embarress anyone in the audience, one work to the director of entertainment will make sure you never get rebooked even if you are in the right.

There are many here who are starting out in mentalism and entertainment who need to be told the rules of engagement. I think that is what Chris was intending and what better way to do it than pointing out it is wrong and distracting than on a magic/mentalism board such as this. Maybe we can all spread the word of how distracting and disturbing this can be.

ON the other hand, if someone is taking notes of the effect performed for future review of the show, one should let the performer know in advance that they will not be taking notes to steal lines and effects but just for the purpose they are mentioning, this way the performer can okay it a ahead of time and will not be distracted by a spectator scratching away during the show. For instance, just last week I was at Penn & Teller's show and Billy McComb was in the audeience, he was taking a few notes. I assumed it was so he could do a write up at a later date. He is good freinds with the guys. So their can be other reasons for taking notes other than stealing. But stealing is usually the reason in my experience.

As for mentioning that other mentalists and magicians should not take notes during the show. One it sounds bad and rude to say this and two what mentalist wants to point out that there are other such people like himself that might be in attendance. We kind of want people to think we are pretty unique and if anything there are just a handful of such folks in existence, certainly too few that there might be some in attendance.

And as for performing at another performers show, it is just bad form. I always tell people that I would rather not as this is not my place to perform and I am not sure the entertainer would like it and on top of that I am not getting paid for it (tongue in cheek)

I would hope that all here would spread the word about both of these items being rude. (Performing on another performers turf and note taking without permission) Speaking of the latter, if one does ask and the performer says no, he has that right. Don't be upset, he does not have to say yes. It is his show and his career to handle in any way he sees fit. If he does not want coverage, so be it, that is his choice. OF course you have the choice to write an article after the fact. If you choose to take notes during the show, be adviced you may very well be kicked out.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I'm suprised they bother to take notes. You can conceal small tape recorders quite easily it has happened in the past at a few of my shows..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How NOT to attend a mentalism show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL