The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » No more rabbits in Canada? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Okay, I heard a rumor today that Canada is passing some sort of law that prohibits magicians using rabbits in their acts.

Does anyone have any information on this?
True...false?

I'm just real curious.
Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Probably something to do with lawyers splitting hares!
Smile
On the serious side, no, I've heard nothing of this up here -- which doesn't mean that it isn't happening! It sounds like something the politicians would be goofy enough to try! Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
steve proescher
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia Beach
147 Posts

Profile of steve proescher
Here's the article:

Rabbit Ban Misses by a Hare
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 8:47 a.m. ET
NEWCASTLE, England (AP) -- Officials in northern England have apologized to
magicians for barring them from performing one of the oldest tricks in the book --
pulling rabbits out of hats.

Newcastle City Council said Wednesday that it had been wrong to tell magicians they could not use live animals in shows performed on council property. Magician Martin Duffy said the ban had caused disappointment for children attending magic shows at local libraries.

``The whole show builds up to the climax of the rabbit appearing, the kids expect it,'' said Duffy, who performs under the stage name Martin the Magician -- along with his white rabbit Sapphire, who usually appears from a box at the end of his act.

``I had to rewrite the act and so I told the children `There was an old witch who looked down from her castle and she saw that the children were enjoying themselves and so she got the rabbit banned,''' Duffy said.

A city council spokesman said the council had a long-standing ban on animals in circus shows, but not in magic acts. ``Unfortunately, following complaints from the public, staff misunderstood the policy and sent out letters to magicians saying animals were not allowed in magic shows,'' he said on customary condition of anonymity. ``This was an overreaction and we apologize to magicians who may have been affected.

''Last week newspapers reported that a Newcastle council employee had banned a clown from performing a traditional Punch and Judy show because the knockabout puppets could encourage domestic violence. A local authority spokesman later said an
overzealous employee had ``overstepped the mark.''

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press | Privacy Policy
steve proescher
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia Beach
147 Posts

Profile of steve proescher
On a similar note, our local health department won't allow us to have a magician perform rabbit magic in our restaurant. They say they don't want any of our patrons to get a HARE in their food.
Seance
View Profile
Elite user
Talking on the other side with
427 Posts

Profile of Seance
What? - Not even my sponge rabbits? They will get them when they pry them from my cold, dead fingers...

Well,maybe not THAT far... Smile
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Somehow, I just can't help but thinking that if this law were to pass...and if a recidivist magician were convicted of the same crime more than once... that he would be locked up as a "rabbitual offender."

Smile
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Arrested, no doubt, by a cop named Starsky or Hutch! Smile
Or possibly Warren. Smile
And his confession would be videotaped although, to get the best reception, they'd have to adjust his rabbit ears. Smile
All right! Enough! Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Er, whilst reported in a Canadian newspaper,
the event took place in a city in ENGLAND!
Talk about Chinese whispers....

Martin was getting loads of coverage on that, even radio interviews Smile

The REAL story behind it, was that ONE woman had complained to a council department to stir things simply because the magician had not let her son stroke the rabbit, (which he doesn't because animals can spread disease). But it does highlight once again the stupidy that runs rampant in local government, alongside the zealous use of things politically correct in some councils- (a successful U.S. export).

Recently over here we had a teacher sacked for calling a child a wimp.

Paul.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Please, Paul...please tell me that this woman's friends didn't call her "Bunny."

Please.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Martin Carli
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal, Canada
108 Posts

Profile of Martin Carli
Hello all,

You have to remember that the Queen of England is still officially the chief of state here in Canada. Hence the link between the two countries. But have not heard of anything close to that here in Eastern Canada.

Later...

Martin
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
She's still be chief of state in the U.S too if not for that Independance thing.... lol

Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » No more rabbits in Canada? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL