The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The most direct and clean thing I ever saw (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ReTurner
View Profile
New user
Cardiff Wales
14 Posts

Profile of ReTurner
I practiced and dreamed magic all through my childhood. Gave it up in my teens to concentrate on studies to please the family (bad choice!) Ended up as a street performer, mostly juggling and acro but used what magic I remembered, both to vary the act, and for 'after show' interaction. I kept it simple for the street.

I always remember the first time I was shown Out of This World, and managed to work it out over the weekend (although Curry's finesses are still worth the money). So I thought I was pretty smart Smile

The most direct thing that blew me away was when David Berglas (after a lecture) did a perfect card fan in front of my face and asked me to think of one. He then turned the cards to himself, pulled one out, and asked me what I was thinking of - I named it, and he turned it around. Correct! Now I am not a card man, but I NEVER figured out if that was a force, or a tell, or what - but there was no equivoque - just BANG! Impact!

I guess this may have a name in the card world. Having seen it just the once, I couldn't tell if it was a percentage deal with various outs. Does this thing have a name? All these years later, all I remember is the impact - it was so clean!

I am not asking for a secret - but is there a name for this? Mr Berglas had done a brilliant lecture, and shared some great stuff, but that kept me awake at nights! Still does, now it has come back to me....
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
What you mentioned is a type of mental force. A version is taught in Bill Malone's On the Loose DVDs, though it's not a surefire thing. There are outs to use when it doesn't go right, but obviously in your case, it worked.

Get Bill Malone's On the Loose series to learn this very simple, yet very powerful (When it works) effect.

If you do get the DVDs, just remember. It's almost random. You really do you have a free choice, and the magician just guesses. There are ways to narrow it down, but you still probably won't get it more than 1 out of every 5 tries, if you're lucky.

Shane Wiker
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
There's a version of this at http://www.youdomagic.com which I've performed about a hundred times so far -- and I've missed only three times. It's called the No Forced Fanned Prediction, and it lends itself to adapting to one's personal style of performance.

When I perform it, the spectator looks at the fan and mentally chooses a card. I then shuffle the cards and ask another spectator to name a number between one and ten. I either then count down that number, or (occasionally) have the 2nd spectator count down to that number. The chosen card is right there at that number.
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Oh, I just remembered another way to do the effect, with 100% accuracy.

Look for the Mental Photography Deck, or the Radar Deck (The latter can be found in Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries). It’s a surefire way to do the effect, but isn't quite as direct.

:)
Shane Wiker
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
Yeah radar deck is great, you can have up to four spectators all think of a card and you name them. You can even tell them the card they almost thought of if your feeling extra special.
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
ReTurner
View Profile
New user
Cardiff Wales
14 Posts

Profile of ReTurner
Thanks to Shane and everyone! I could never get much past his having fanned just perfectly/imperfectly enough that the spectator can 'see' them all, but not quite, leaving a few indices clearly visible - and then using some 'wonder words' so they don't just imagine one, but must choose one they really can see.

Either that or do it at every party you go to, and have a real miracle once every 52 goes (with a few near misses to lower the odds) - and an out or two.

I will pursue the links you offered - and then get back to improving my pressure fan. Cheers!
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Alex Elmsley has a version where someone thinks of a card.He then openly reverses a card.The deck is then fanned and then the spectator names his card.The reversed card is found to be the selection.No force!
Andre

By the way if you want to do this,keep working on the pressure fan.
Andre
ReTurner
View Profile
New user
Cardiff Wales
14 Posts

Profile of ReTurner
The video clip of Osterlind doing Radar Deck is certainly impressive...the No Forced Fan Prediction seems a bit indirect for the impact I remember...the Mental Photography Deck sounds like a possible combination of Brainwave and what we used to call a Nudist Deck...so, because of financial restrictions, I think I'll start with Radar Deck and Bill Malone - seen him on tv and love the style. Thanks for ALL the suggestions - at least now I don't have to fret that Mr Berglas left me with a post-hypnotic suggestion....
Dr Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Sparks, NV
154 Posts

Profile of Dr Magic
Then again sometimes a magician just gets lucky.

If that was the case, he's probably still talking about it too Smile

Dr Magic

:carrot: Smile
ReTurner
View Profile
New user
Cardiff Wales
14 Posts

Profile of ReTurner
Hahahaha

thanks, doc. A teenager in a magic club (Junior Section of the London Society of Magicians) thinks they know it all - it was a real stopper for me - here I am more than 40 years later, still brooding about it. That's what I call impact! (I have to own up that a friend of a friend turned up when I was working in a circus, and when I described the effect he did it to me again!) That's what made me wonder if it was a known thing...he wasn't telling...

But what a blast to think that Mr Berglas might still have remembered it too!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The most direct and clean thing I ever saw (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL