The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Msgic turned into mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
I Believe that a lot of magic can actually be presented as mentalism.
Take the linking finger rings, you can say that through mind power you can make matter pass through other matter creating impossible paranormal objects.
In a lot of spirit investigations impossible paranormal objects were reportadly found.
Take Ted Lesleys Teleport effect, essentially it's magic turned in to a teleportation mentalism effect.

Even the 3 card monte could be said to mess with peoples minds perception.

Do you guys believe as I do that you can turn some Magic in to pure mentalism effects?
Or would you disagree?

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
There are many effects that fall into this catogory. I do a lot of mentalism and the magic I do, do falls into it. These things are close secrets of mine things I almost never do for other magi, because they could be easly lifted. A good way to make these effects are to take an actual phcological principal display it and then do the effect that enhances the pricipal. This makes a moment where a spec is not sure if what they saw was real or fake. In my mind a good published example of this is Lukes "If I were to Fall" This is worth looking into if this sort of thing intrests you. The more I work these things into my effects the greater the impact seems to be. The key is to not overload the effects with too much. Pm me if you want more info on the subject.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I use this a great deal, the idea of being able to manipulate perception can open up a whole host of avenues to you. You are then able to talk about your ability to direct people's thoughts and perform standard card effects, I truly believe in keeping all of the magical doors open to me in order that I do not limit my self.

I think this thinking comes from a Dan Sylvester lecture from the beginning of the year when he talks about there being no limits, I don't know if anyone else has seen hijm lecture he really is excellent.

Kind thoughts,

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
gareth123
View Profile
Loyal user
Rotherham UK
245 Posts

Profile of gareth123
The way I see magic and mentalism is that anything is possible.

Gareth.
*is tihs migac or am i sineg aonhter wlord in wihch i nveer lvied UNTILL NOW*
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Itseems like presentation is most important in whether the viewer is seeeing mentalism or magic
Cheers
TJ
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
When I perform just magic everything I do seems to have a mental slant to it in this way. So that it is all based on manipulating their perceptions of an event with my own mind power so to speak.
One day I will write a book
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi all
I was just reading over the topic again and I realised that all the posts, my own included are all full of so many unspecified verbs and nouns and nomonalisations
If they were read to somebody in meaningful tones with
lots of senseless pauses it would make a PERFECT NLP hypnotic induction
ROTFL
TJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Msgic turned into mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL