The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Jumping Gems... (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Hi, all -

About 8 or so years ago I bought Jumping Gems from my local store (they don't stock it anymore). It actually came with a third bar that has 6 red stones on one side.

I have since lost the instructions. Even though I have known the paddle move for years (I have the CC Knives), I am back into magic after a long break and want to learn a "base" routine for J.G. using all three bars that I can learn, building my own ideas into it after that.

Can anyone help with instructions? Is it appropriate to request instructions from the manufacturer?

Just looking for a thought or two before I go further.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
troublewit
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of troublewit
Sounds like you have a "hot rod" in addition to jumping gems. For an excellent presentation of both items combined, Mike Skinner used a patter based on Liberace's piano keys. You can use this for inspiration, and modify it for yourself. The handling is very clean. You can find it written up in the Genii Magazine Mike Skinner issue, which came out last year I believe. Have fun. Christopher
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Christopher,

Thanks for the heads up!

Actually, I do not have a Hot Rod. The third bar has one gem on one side, and six red gems on the other. I remember when I bought it I was told that it usually comes with two bars, but they had started making a third (as described above).

I look forward to finding the issue of Genii.

Thanks,

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Timothy
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama, USA
174 Posts

Profile of Timothy
Chessmann,
I have the same set, and am in the same boat as you. I worked at a magic shop over 10 years ago, and bought it.
Mine only has 2 sticks in a felt open-ended case, and no 3rd rod. I might be wrong, but I think the 3rd rod was sold as an addtional climax to the trick and called something else, but I don't remember what.

-Timothy
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Sounds like the third rod could be an old version of slip off spots. Do you remember having a "die" with matching gems in it?
antonuccio
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
132 Posts

Profile of antonuccio
My "set" has a stick only, but is enough! Jumping Gems is something I carry with me everywhere. My version takes its inspiration from a Bob King's routine. At the end, you can give the stick to the spectator, asking him to repeat the effect you've just performed. People at this point usually think I have something hidden in my hands, but when I show they're empty... they feel like something magical happened. My advice is you start to build a simple routine with what you, starting from the basic stick: then you can add the second and the third. But please, believe me: one is enough!

Regards
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
Jumping Gems is one of the first tricks that I did, and it really is sooo good. I have had many different sets, and have had the climax one too where the whole paddle is covered with gems. This has been a great help in getting the gigs.
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
The Michael Skinner Genii Issue is Volume 63, Number 11 November 7, 2000. You can request back issues by going to http://www.geniimagazine.com

Hope this helps,
Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
grahamk5
View Profile
New user
Accra, Ghana (ex-London, UK)
89 Posts

Profile of grahamk5
I found a couple of demos of this on-line that would certainly give you some ideas for a routine. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I found them! I did download them at the time however, so I could email them to you if you want to see them.
Graham
Sgroge
View Profile
New user
N Shore Boston MA
55 Posts

Profile of Sgroge
The routine Michael Skinner based his on is by JG Thompson in his Top Secrets of Magic Vol I. The patter is quite dated now but the sequence of changes and movements is still good.
Best Wishes
Steve
Trying to die young as late as possible!
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Same here. I always carry this with me. In fact I lost 2 already. One is enough. No switches no nothing. It is great both for kids and adults. When I hand it out for examination, usually someone else comes by and tells me to do it again because he did not see it. Then I just move one gem on one side and show both sides the same. I reverse the process and hand it out again. I still can't believe how powerful this move is. I look forward to use the Number 1 pencil and Shattered.

Quote:
On 2002-10-29 07:21, antonuccio wrote:
My "set" has a stick only, but is enough! Jumping Gems is something I carry with me everywhere. My version takes its inspiration from a Bob King's routine. At the end, you can give the stick to the spectator, asking him to repeat the effect you've just performed. People at this point usually think I have something hidden in my hands, but when I show they're empty... they feel like something magical happened. My advice is you start to build a simple routine with what you, starting from the basic stick: then you can add the second and the third. But please, believe me: one is enough!

Regards
Yours,

Ivan
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Curtis Kam has a routine in his book, "Deceptions in Paradise." It uses two sets (two duplicate sticks are used). Most importantly, he provides a presentation that is funny and that makes sense. I made up the set as he describes, and I got a little leather eyeglass case to hold them. This is a great routine, and has become one of my favorite openers at a table.
Linds
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
76 Posts

Profile of Linds
Darrin

I wholeheartedly agree. Kurtis's presentation really makes a lot of sense and provides an inbuilt justification for the props.

I must look into the glasses case idea, though, as I just knocked up a felt holder like my Ken Allen rods came in years and years ago.

Linds
Cheers
Linds

Disbelief in Magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
magicdave56
View Profile
Regular user
Ellisville, MO 63011
195 Posts

Profile of magicdave56
Does anyone's know if there a dvd or a book on the jumping Gems ?
BWind
View Profile
Loyal user
Honolulu, Hawaii
262 Posts

Profile of BWind
Folks,
The extra rod could just be the additional "Flash Rod" designed as a finishing effect to Jumping Gems. The Flash Rod that I have includes 2 diamonds on one end and a row of six diamonds on the other side. Jack Miller Enterprise might still have them available.
BWind
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Jack Miller passed away in 1962, a person took over the wholesale business in later years. To my surprise it is still in business as Jack Miller Enterprises. They do not sell retail, but you can have your local magic dealer get some in for you.

http://jackmillermagic.com/

I never knew he made the other gem effects besides Jumping Gems. Click on the our products heading and look at the other gem effects they make.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
a person took over the wholesale business in later years

That person was Michelle Zakraysek
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2021, magicdave56 wrote:
Does anyone's know if there a dvd or a book on the jumping Gems ?

You might want to check out the Michael Skinner issue of Genii. It describes his Jumping Gems routine, which I think is one of the best you can do with these props. You can see Skinner performing this routine in volume I of The Legendary Repertoire of Michael Skinner DVD.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Does anyone know where Bob King's single rod Jumping Gems routine is located?
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Tenyo put out a set of Hot Rods with a dozen or more rods, if you can find one, mortgage your house and buy it. I remember someone doing the Liberace piano keys routine for people waiting in line to see Johnny Carson Show.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Jumping Gems... (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL