The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Thaumysta style boxes? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Mary Tomich's Thaumysta site is sorely missed (and anyone in touch with Ms. Tomich, please convey that to her for me!). One thing I personally miss is the wonderful variety of boxes sold at the Thaumysta site. Does anyone know of another vendor of similar boxes?

:banana:
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
In the Boston area try Pier 1 imports. Also Urban Outfitters on Newbury Street used to carry unusual boxes, but I haven't been there in a few years. I also found some interesting boxes in some of the import stores on Newbury Street.

I live in Beverly, MA right next to Salem. Many of the new-age shops carry interesting boxes and is a Bizarrists dream-come-true. Check out http://www.azuregreenonline.com/ for cool supplies.

Also, check out some of the New England flea markets. I've never had a problem locating bizarre items in this part of the country. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Dave,
Is Mary going to the Gathering this year?
Best regards,
Tony Razzano
PS. Thank you for the kind words about the seance!
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
The Reverend
View Profile
New user
Scotland
66 Posts

Profile of The Reverend
Mary attended the Charles Cameron Memorial Gathering in Edinburgh last October. She was selling some excellent bizarre artefacts and was a very helpful (and nice) person. I managed to pick up an interesting box which was like a small book. I have incorporated it into one of my stories/effects. I believe I was lucky that day - I think she was selling off the last of her stock that afternoon since shortly after that, she appeared to disappear. (not in an Agatha Christie type way though thank goodness....)

Best regards,

Stephen.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Although they aren't finished as nicely as the old Thaumysta boxes, you can find some good basswood boxes at Hobby Lobby, Michael's and sometimes Wal-Mart. With a bit of stain and some imagination, you can convert them to really good spooky artifact boxes.

Also, Hobby Lobby has turned into a decorator's store. They carry lots of fancy boxes in exotic woods.

Finally, in Houston, there is a place called "The Magick Cauldron." Their URL is http://www.magickcauldron.com/

They carry all SORTS of nifty spooky stuff.

And further than finally, check out Allen Zingg's "Tibetan Wishing Box." It's a spooky box with a couple of really nice routines.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
Craft stores and Pier One are places where I have found some unique boxes.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Are they unique or are they unusual. There is a big difference.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
Perhaps I should have left my description at unusual. I would not have any way of knowing if it was unique, even if it was the only box of its type on the shelf. I didn't realize my choice of words would cause anyone any problems.
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
I bet the difference is the price huh!?

Magickman
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
No. Unique means "one of a kind." It is one of the most misused words in the English language. "Unusual" means just that -- not usual.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

robb_randall
View Profile
New user
surprise, arizona
23 Posts

Profile of robb_randall
Quote:
On 2004-11-11 18:30, Bill Palmer wrote:
No. Unique means "one of a kind." It is one of the most misused words in the English language. "Unusual" means just that -- not usual.

Wow! What a unique message from a truly unusual person...Wait! Scratch that! Reverse it!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is another usage for "unique" that some people consider correct. It is usually used in the following context:

Houston is a unique town. Unique is a word which comes from the latin "unum," meaning "one," and "equus," meaning "horse."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
This thread gives you a real Eunuch feeling Smile
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Swami Bill
View Profile
Regular user
Le Monde
135 Posts

Profile of Swami Bill
Unique is a French form that comes from the Latin unicus meaning single or sole. As in the Latin unus, meaning one. I don't think it has to do anything with horses. Although Houston IS a unique town, for sure.

-bill

Bill -

Oh, jeez. it just hit me. Now I am laughing so hard I can barely explain to my office mates what is going on. You have done it to me again...

-bill
That's MISTER Swami Bill to you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Thaumysta style boxes? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL