The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Japan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
Anybody know what the busking situation is in Japan?

Last I heard they had shut it down. But then I saw a news item about a performer there.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Zack,

There are AWESOME private property gigs in Japan that are to die for. I have had a bunch of friends work there and say it is a great place to work.

If you check the threads over on performers.net you should find a boatload of information. If you do not, ask the question. The guys and girls over there are top flight pros and have worked everywhere. They are also very helpful funny people. Anything written by Butterfly Man, Taxi Trix, or Martin, is well worth reading.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I've been there twice, and I ran the street magic thing, but I never did any real set busking because, yes, it is officialy illegal, and let me tell you...those Japanese cops run like the WIND! The good news is that if youre 'stereotypically' Caucasian (and preferably tall) it's pretty easy to land a gig at a restaraunt/club. The Japanese LOVE to see Westerners performing for them, and the language barrier is easily overcome by re-working your act a bit. Bear in mind though, as Danny said, yes you DO have to be top-notch. When I was there the first time, I met some of the 'Cinderella' and 'Peter-Pan' performers at Tokyo-Disneyland, and they introduced me around and helped me get a walkaround gig in a restaraunt. And again, as Mr. Hustle said, the pay is awesome! In fact, you might not want to leave!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
197 Posts

Profile of R Don
Last year March 2004 I saw a busker in Osaka Hanshin station..and there were a couple of music acts also.They were on at the same time each with amplified music. the magician did zimmerman Linking hoops , card productions (people were behind him not a good idea) He was Japanese --I never got to meet him nor see the end of the show.Missing the last train would have cost me hundreds in a cab fare .The performers seemed to have their own cheerleaders? because there were a few people who were too excited about the shows. Also some of them were holding small signs which I couldn t read.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I would'nt be too surprised at how excited the audience seemed. Another nice thing about performing in Nihon, is that peaople REALLY get into entertainment. On several occasions I was amazed at the enthusiastic reactions obtained by the simplest of effects.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
197 Posts

Profile of R Don
Kansai scene magazine feature
look at Kansai Scene August 2004 Issue 051
Try google
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Nice article. Very Interesting.

If anyone doesn't want google it, try this link; http://www.kansaiscene.com/2004_08/html/eventlistings.shtml

The feature Article appears in the right hand column, called:
To Perform or to Conform, Kansai Street Performers.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
Thanks for posting that Brother David. It seems that the street is alive and well in Nihon, if not quite legal. I'm wondering if the cops would give more static to a Gajin performer.

Here's a direct link to the article:
http://www.kansaiscene.com/2004_08/html/feature.shtml
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Japan (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL