The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Pure Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
Quote:
On 2004-12-13 04:34, BonzoTheClown wrote:
Paul,

That is incorrect, the first edition of Pure Effect (which looks self-published) does indeed contain Lift and Reminiscence.

Marc Climens

marc, do you have the first edition?
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
"The point being that all these lectures featured on character building, stage blocking, audience management, internal dialogue etc."

The good news, is that for this type of training there is no need to go to a lecture done by a magician or mentalist. There are workshops all over the world for stage performers - endulge!

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Paul, if you are certain you need to do these effects you can find them in the original, self published Pure Effect (spiral bound).

Greg, absolutlely, in fact one of the performers I was pertaining to started off life as an actor, and it shows!

Perhaps one of the most inspiring I have seen was a workshop on mask (I used to live with an actress and I sat in). To see these facelss characters spring to life with the illusion of expression was mindblowing.
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
"mask (I used to live with an actress and I sat in). To see these facelss characters spring to life with the illusion of expression was mindblowing."

Yes! I remember participating in a workshop where we were all given a mask to wear and had to move as a 20-person ensemble. I went to MotionFest for a few years and learned a ton from the best in the business - many from Cirque du Soleil. Sadly, MotionFest may be no more Smile

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Greg, that sounds like quite an experience. Not sure if you have read Improv by Keith Johnstone but there is some insightful stuff about mask in there, a great book in general for any performer IMHO.

Bri
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-12-13 04:44, PaulEverson wrote:
I didn't realise that, I got my info from an interview with DB but maybe Im not remembering right.

There might be some confusion on published versions of this book. Derren sold his original, self-published version as a spiral bound book. Then he entered into an agreement with H&R Magic Books in Humble, TX to produce a hard cover version. Even first editions of this book do not contain the tricks.

Even after the H&R version was released, Derren was still selling his remaining copies of the self-published version. Lucky fellows snapped those up.

John LeBlanc
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
BonzoTheClown
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of BonzoTheClown
Pat, yes, and I'm looking at it now and those two routines are most definitely there.

Marc Climens
dyddanwy
View Profile
Regular user
Chester. UK
108 Posts

Profile of dyddanwy
Gambituk1,
What a terrific piece of thinking and writing... I am not going to quote you here, but I think everyone should scroll back up to the first posting you made on this thread (Dec 12) and read it again, and again, and again.

Cheers,
JD
~ ~
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Hi JD,

Aww shucks <acts all coy!>, thanks.

No, seriously, I tell it like it is. I have a habbit of saying how I feel, if people like it, great, if they don't then I respect their opinion, I mean I don't have to like 'em, but I can respect 'em (joke!)

Bri
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Pure Effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL