The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Seeking Multiplying Candle tips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
After owning Nesto Candles for years, I've just started using them in lit form as of yesterday. I'm looking for any advice that may reduce the danger factor."Don't use them!" is not an option, have a Hanukkah show coming up, 8 candles, too perfect. Please advise. Rick
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Just make sure to have enough, but NOT TOO MUCH lighter fluid in 'em.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Thanks Mr. Biro, I guess with T & E I'll work that out. Two candles on each set have closed reseviours with tiny screw holes to receive the fluid, difficult to control the amount. Though they seem to hold more fluid than the other two open bottom candles, they burned out almost immediately. The two open bottom ones burned relatively well. Does the other need a hole to allow even flow? I don't want to leave the screws off, the fluid may leak out but does a vacumm occur in the reseviour preventing the fluid from flowing up the wick? Anyone run across this problem?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Take a needle syringe and inject the lighter fluid right into the wick. Saturate and it and let it soak.
You might try putting some cotton in the reservior to hold the fluid. Once they are loaded wrap them with plastic to keep them from evaporating. I have a set of Tim Starr which are like the Lloyd's so they are a little different. I really do not think you are using the reservoir to burn the candles that much.

I just made up a Hannukah silk for guy using the delites with it.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Thanks, I'll try that.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I heard of someone using pen caps to keep the wicks from drying out on Fantasio candles. It may work on multiplying candles, too.
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

I was going to see if storing them in a Zip-Lock bag would work. I could see how pen caps stuffed with cotton and a bit of lighter fluid would keep them ready to go. I'm going to try them both together. thanks
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Rick;
Several guys I know who have done versions of the multiplying candles nest the candles (any version) and invert them into a shot glass of lighter fluid. They fill by capillary action. Just wipe them off right before use and they will be full. This works well if you have a good long wick and/or cotton batting in the reservoirs to absorb the fluid.
Jim
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

How long do they let them soak? That Bronson Lighter Fluid is pretty strong, I thought the white paint may peal off.
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Rick;
Several minutes should do it - say 5 minutes. If the candles are painted with paint, you might have a problem. If lacquered, they should not be affected by the lighter fluid. Most candles come from the maker lacquered; but previous owners (if used) might have painted them with enamel or something else.
Jim
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

They have the original paint. Should be okay.
Thanks Jim

Update: Nov 24 2004

PROBLEM! I've tried everything above but the two candles with the closed resiviors are drying out too quick. The routine I'm doing calls for a new candle to appear every 20 seconds or so (kids in audience sing along to song that counts down the 8 nights. Candle appears at end of each chorus.)
Problem is, while in the nesting position and lit the combined flames heat up the sides of the reseviors drying out the fluid inside. It's the only thing that can explain it. The other two are great. Is there a substitute fuel that wont evaporate as quick? An oil of some kind? Any other suggestions?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Can you tip the candle to get the hear away from the other resevior? Maybe there is some type of gelled fuel that might work.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Rick;
Check to see if the small reservoirs have cotton packing along with the wick. This packing helps hold the fluid and deliver it at a more constant rate than with wick only.
Jim
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

That was the last thing I tried. I packed them with cotton. I soaked them nested and upside down in lighter fluid. I injected the reseviors with fluid using a printer ink refiller syringe. They still snuffed out soon after being un-nested.
Maybe the wicks are too long causing too much heat.
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Rick;
Yup. The wicks need to be short.
Jim
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Richard, sorry, didn't see your post till now.
No, tipping won't help. The problem arises when they're all nested as one candle, can't get any separation. I'm going to use extremely short wicks. I'll let you know.

Update: Nov 29 2004

SUCCESS!: I'm listing the tips from above that worked best for me. Thanks for the help.
1)Wicks should be cut to 1/8th - 1/4 inch high.
2) Stuff closed reseviors with cotton though screw hole. When you think they're full, stuff more.
3) Fill shot glasses 3/4" high with lighter fluid. Soak nested and inverted for 5 minutes or more. Leave screws off during soaking.
4) Remove and wipe off excess fluid all the while wicks point towards the ground. Replace screws.
5) Store in air tight Zip-Lock bag. Have not tested beyond 15 minute storage time. Currently testing 24 hour storage time. Will light tonight during practice.

Hope this helps
picasso007
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of picasso007
Any idea where to get replacement screws for the nesting candles resivoir?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Someone suggested candle oil instead of lighter fluid.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Seeking Multiplying Candle tips (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL