The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Shipping charges for large products (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dayle
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Dayle
Hello. I'm hoping that this is the right place for my questions! When purchasing custom illusions and/or escapes how are shipping costs calculated if the weight of the illusion/escape isn't known prior to building? As an example: If you have a custom sub-trunk built for your size, how does the manufacturer know what to quote and charge for shipping if they don't know what the exact weight of the trunk would be? If they quote shipping based on a weight of 100lbs and the trunk (when shipped) actually weighs 120lbs, should the customer be re-charged for the difference? What is the likelyhood of the manufacturer actually getting the additional shipping money if the customer already has the trunk?

Should the manufacturer front the money to get the trunk shipped (especially when receipt of the trunk is time sensitive)? Or should they wait, re-contact the customer and let the customer decide? Or even wait for the additional shipping funds to be transferred?

I'm sure that the majority of people would be honest and send the additional money to cover the shipping cost however for large illusions/escapes shipping can be quite a large cost based on the weight and size of the items.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks so much!
Cheers
Dayle
World's Most Accomplished Female Escape Artist
http://www.sherryandkrallmagic.com
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi

I would quote a price for the build and do a shipping on a TBA (to be anounced) on completion of build.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Dayle
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Dayle
Thanks for the suggestion Paula!

What would you and others, as customers, think is fair? What would you expect in this situation?

Cheers
Dayle
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
582 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Dayle,
As a customer I would think Paula's suggestion is very fair. I would have no problem paying for shipping and handling charges on a TBD basis. It may be a good idea to provide a shipping and handling estimate with the understanding that it might change based on the custom work being done.

Tony
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Dayle
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Dayle
Thanks Tony!

Cheers
Dayle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Shipping charges for large products (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL