The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Private Parties and Routining (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Here is an interesting topic (for me at least):

How do you handle private parties, more specifically parties of 10-30 people where there is a dinner, but no schedule beyond that?

Personally, I usually do strolling/close-up before, and then do a larger show (not required but only people who come over to watch) at a designated area after dinner.

My only problem has been the dead time around dinner. To be honest, I have been doing this for years and haven't given too much thought about better ways to handle it, just because it has worked well in the past, but I know there are probably better strategies to handle it.

So what do you do when it is a bit too intimate for a stand-up show, a bit too informal for a parlour show, and the client wants two hours of close-up magic.

What are your strategies?
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi,

I do stand up routines that will play smaller. Examples:

Card to ice block.
Vanishing Bandanna.
Snowstorm in China - if the host will allow it.
Knife in arm with no blood.
PK touches.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I wasn't really referring to effects, but when, why and how you present them.

Using those effects, do you stand at the end of the table and interact with them as you're doing the effect and walk around to each person when you need a new helper?

Or do you stand at the head of the room and call them "up" to you so everyone can watch from the table, all facing the same way?

Do you do strolling effects before the "show"?

Do you announce to everyone that you are about to "start" (or have someone announce), or do you have people come over to you and gradually increase the crowd as you work?

I'm really interested in hearing people's ideas on how to approach small private parties, such as whether they get a "stage" area, or if they simply walk around the table (more informal). Whether you do encore for smaller groups, or openers for smaller groups.

Do you wait to perform until everyone has arrived, perform as they come in, or do you have a set "magic show" starting time where you officially start?

These are the things I'm interested in hearing about. Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I don't think 10 people are too intimate for a standup show. I've performed for house parties like that.

As for performing for two hours, at a very small party, I think it's best to be setup off to the side. If they want to see magic, they can approach you. Filler routines, like tying a knot without letting go of the ends or the snapper, are great for this because they kill a lot of time.

For such parties, I typically recommend a standup performance, parlor style. Strolling for such a small group just doesn't work, unless the people are spread over several rooms. If the whole group is in the same room, all of them tend to watch my performance, at once.
T. Lamanske
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of T. Lamanske
Daegs, what you want to sell them is a Formal Close-Up show. This will also sound cool to them. I mean they are getting a professional Sleight-of-Hand show. If you've ever been to the Close-Up Gallery at the Magic Castle then you know what I mean.

People are excited to see this kind of thing. It commands much more respect than doing strolling Close-Up. Oddly enough, you could still be doing the same tricks. Perception is everything!

I set up a card table with a chair on each side for two spectators. Have the rest of your audience in chairs in front of you. This works best with 30 people or less. Folding chairs are best because couches and recliners, etc., are usually too low to see the table top.

I then do a mix of Close-Up stuff and maybe one or two Stand-Up routines. For instance, I would borrow someone's bill toward the beginning of my show and then produce it in some impossible location to close out the show, i.e., in a lemon, in your wallet, etc. This gives your show a sort of Stand-Up feeling, but they still get to enjoy some fine card or coin work that a larger group normally wouldn't be able to see.

Try this out. I think you'll like pitching and performing the Formal Close-Up Sleight-of-Hand show.

Todd
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I agree with the Formal Close-up Show thought. Ten to 30 people are too small a group for walk-around in all but extreme cases, i.e., several small rooms, none of which can contain the entire group. If it is possible for everyone to view at the same time, most often they will try to do that anyway. If you start working for a few people, you look up a minute later and the entire group has gathered around.

This was mentioned in a post above. Large groups tend to be more patient; small groups feel as if they are missing something if they don't jump into what appears to be the most exciting thing in the room.

I prefer to sell a one-shot show for this type group for three reasons. First, you have a nifty selling angle by saying that the client will get everything you would have done for walk-around, PLUS, a whole lot more, because you aren't limited to what you can carry in your pockets. Explain that you can set up a small table, or work from a bag, etc.

Second, you can work less for the same money, and not kill an entire night in one location, when there may be another gig to work that same night (i.e., one early; one late). I sell a 30-45 minute show for the same price I would get for an hour of walk-around. If I sold it for a higher fee, some clients may opt for the smaller price to save money, so I keep it the same. They view the options as more time versus better show. Excepting the extremes, they always go with better show for the same money.

It will kill the possibility of working more than the one hour, but with that few people, you'll exhaust the room too quickly, and facing another hour to kill doesn't make you look so good in the long run. Less is more. They'll feel as if they've gotten more than their money's worth and still be sad to see you go. That's a nice note to end on.

The third reason is that with a stand-up show (formal close-up) you elevate the status of you and your work. A strolling entertainer, while highly respected in my book, is sometimes looked upon at upper-end affairs with the same attitude as one would give a waiter walking around with a tray of hors d'oevres. Not always, but it NEVER happens with a stand-up performance.

I will often book a large party for both cocktail walk-around and an after dinner show (with the lag during dinner). But, this is more like selling two shows to the same client. The money is there. With smaller shows, the cap is usually less, so I prefer not to stretch my time out through the whole evening.

Much of what a close-up stroller can do can be easily converted to a stand-up formal close-up show. That which can't, can always be reserved for the strolling gigs. Don't confuse giving them your best show with giving them everything you know how to do. Consider changing your selling angle before you establish a standard that will be hard to back out of.

To specifically answer some of your questions:

End of the table or head of the room? Play that by ear. The lay of the room and how people are situated will likely dictate that for you. If they are already seated at one table, play the one spot that offers the best view for the most people. If they are at separate tables, pick a location that plays the best to the majority. If they are to be informally gathered into a room, look for the most logical stage area. Some people may be seated on couches and chairs, while others stand behind or beside them. Some folks may even sit on the floor.

Regarding helpers: You don't have to use a different person for each effect if it poses an impracticality. A good helper for one routine can easily be converted into a show-long assistant, provided you don't run them through the mill. A person such as this becomes your ally in entertaining the rest of the group.

Don't fool them over and over again. Solicit their help to fool the rest of the room. I'm using the word fool, not in the sense of erecting a challenge, but rather as entertaining someone with the surprise end of a magic trick. Don't make a "regular" helper the one that you play everything to. They will quickly tire of that.

Announcing show time? Have the host(ess) announce the start of your show. Be sure to let them know when you book the show that they should handle that at the proper time. This is better than dropping a bomb on someone who may be a bit shy about speaking to an entire group, even if they are all their guests.

Consider adding to the bally once the announcement begins, if the host(ess) is quietly walking through the room(s)telling people individually. Some people will give immediate attention while others drag their feet. Don't let the foot daggers punish the others. Begin your show with a bally, not unlike a street busker may use, albeit a tad more subtle. Gather the masses and begin. They want entertainment, so make it an event.

If all people are already gathered in the room already, one upfront announcement from the host(ess) should suffice.

Concerning when to start: Look somewhere near the end of the estimated first half of the party. Most guests have arrived, even if late, the party is well established, but not winding down or lit up with drunks. This brings you to the spotlight at a good time, unlike a strolling gig that has you there from the beginning, and finds you trying to decide what might be too soon to pounce on the newly arrived guests.

Now, if you have some other strolling-type effects that are just more than you can resist leaving at home, use those as encore pieces for the smaller handful of people who make want to corner you after the show. This is a good thing to let the client see. It says to them that you are giving them more than they paid for. Just don't work it too long, or you may raise questions about your time being worth what you are asking.

Hope it helps.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Private Parties and Routining (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL