The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Change for a Dollar? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Ok, here's the thing. I made up this trick some years ago and I'm finally gettinga round to getting it out there. I haven't really advertised it anywhere. Some magicians have seen me do it at magic conventions. I went to Motor City close up and a few magicians asked me when I was going to make it avaialble. So I started thinking on it again.

The question I have is this. I could make these gimmicks avaiable for purchase. It would be kind of costly though. I'll link a video to the effect at the bottom of this post so you'll be able to see the effect.
I could also make it avalable as a PDF like my trick Outsmokin too. Where they'll just get instructions on how to make it themselves. I'm not being lazy on this but it has to do with paper bills. It's a pretty unusual variation of a mis-made bill.

So my question is this. If you had to make it yourself and buy a mis-made bill to make it (Runs about $12 for the bills). Would you be upset? I'd have the link to purchase a mis-made bill in there too. So the price of the PDF won't be to high.

Just wondering what you all think. To make them avaiable for purchase would bring the price up.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I just realized I forgot to add the link to the video.

Click here to see it. Or right click and select "Save as..." to download it. it's not to large of a file.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I have a mismade bill and would like to be able to get just the instructions.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Masonogy1
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Masonogy1
Looks pretty neato!!!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That looks great! I think it would be more effective with a short pause before each change of the bill...perhaps blow on the bill or snap your fingers or whatever one does to make the magic happen..because in the video it happens so fast that it can make you dizzy!

But as far as your question, I really think it might be better to go with the download. I say that because I'm assuming the gimmick is pretty easy to construct. perhaps a little rubber cement and the bills? Can't be nearly as difficult as some other ones I've seen and purchased!

Another suggestion is this: Perhaps use a Himber wallet, or a Z fold, or the one that Mike Close uses in his toothpick through bill routine because I'm assuming that you can't show the back of the bil, and specs are surely going to say "hey!" let me see that dollar!"

If you had a good method to borrow the buck from a spec, then secretly switch the bill for the gaff, then switch it back out again, then that would be super! In fact, I think I have some ideas brewing in my head as I type.

But that would not be an easy task to accomplish, at least without creating suspicion or some awkward moments in the handling. It would have to be a seamless part of a well planned routine.

Example: If I borrow bill for a routine where I am going to do the thumbtip switch, I require a prefolded bill to make it go smoothly. Spectators don't usualy have a pre- folded bill! so I make it a part of the whole routine by doing the old "George is right side up, and if I fold and unfold the bill "tada" he is standing on his head" bar stunt. This allows me to get the folds in the bill without calling attention to it because it is a part of the gag. The folding is never really called attention to because it is a natural part of the gag.

Now if you could apply that same principle of making the switch a natural part of an extended routine, you could switch bills in and out without drawing suspicion. Ths would surely take some serious brain storming on your part!

More than you asked for, I know, but just some simple food for thought on how you may be able to add more value to the routine for whoever purchases it, and perhaps get a little higher price.

I suppose what I'm talking about with all this is about turning this effect into a "worker". I really believe the potential is there, Ron.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Say Ron, have you been away?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Yea, I ran through the routine kind of quickly in the video to keep it short. All I wanted to do with that is demonstrate the trick itself. I figured people will be able to come up with a number of "reasons" or presentations for it.

I'll tell you how I usually present it. I usually fallow it with me coin routine called Flip-M-Out which is an in the spectators hands traveling coins routine. When I start to do the [Change for a Dollar?] bill trick I explain that they've seen how I can cause objects to magically travel from one place to another. Now I'm going to attempt to cause a portion of an object to travel to another location on the object. So I fold the bill in half and point out the fact that I just put a crease in the bill. I'm going to cause that crease/fold to travel to another edge of the bill. So I mime sliding the crease from the edge it's on to another edge of the bill then open it. This shows the first change (see video).

I then fold it into quarters and mime sliding another crease. When it's unfolded it's the mis-made bill. Reverse everything and it turns back to normal.

So it becomes a longer and very unusual routine. Is the bill turning into other bills or are the edge really switching places. It's a hard thing to explain and it's fun to see people try to explain it to someone. I like things like this that are very unusual things to see and remember.

I sold quite a few of them while I was at the Abbotts get together and some of them have Emailed me some of their presentation ideas. God feedback so far. It takes a little work to make the gimmick but it's not really that hard. I also included an easy but deceptive switch in the PDF so you can seemingly do it with a borrowed bill.

Ron Jaxon

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Change for a Dollar? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL