The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Keeping the secret (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
quinten
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of quinten
I just whisper something like can you keep a secret???
then I say: I can too
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I think a lot of these standard replies (which one reads quite often) are quite likely to infuriate the questioner even more. They just perpetuate a rather unpleasant power game in which you have the secret and they don't.

I think (sometimes) it's better to explain that, actually, most magic secrets are pretty mundane and boring when you know them, and that they would probably feel deflated rather than empowered to be told the answer.
Jolyon Jenkins
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Why would you want to make a person think what you are doing is mundane and boring.

It seems you must make a decision: Say something snappy and risk getting them irate or make them believe there is nothing really great about what your doing and make them wonder why they even bothered to enjoy something so small or ignore them and risk getting them peeved.

Why not just give whatever you feel is the right response at that moment. With the abundance of personalities out there you are certain to eventually get someone riled no matter how you answer . I'm sure some joker booed Shakespeare.

I wouldn't give away any magic tricks, but that's just my abundant personality.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Quote:
On 2005-02-01 18:24, Josh Riel wrote:
Why would you want to make a person think what you are doing is mundane and boring.

I didn't say that. My point is that occasionally I think it is worthwhile making them understand that if you reveal the secret they will be disappointed. In other words, educate them into an appreciation that the magic relies on NOT knowing.

But I only go down this road if they are really pestering for an answer. Normally they don't expect to be told a secret.
Jolyon Jenkins
Pizzazz
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
108 Posts

Profile of Pizzazz
The best thing is to try and move on to another effect or try and act as if you don't hear them and move on. I do like to use the answer "very well" to the question "how did you do that?"
May all your days be "magic" days
onezero1
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of onezero1
If someone says "how did you do that?" that's good, they are baffeled you have done your job, your reply "magic" is good too because it is true! I mean, if you actually explained how you made all those aces come together you would be there all day..."soo...whats an elmsley count?...well blah blah blah" so if you don't want to patronise them with "spirits" say "magic", its the truth after all.
'though it stands to reason that a samurai should be mindful of the Way...it would seem that we are all negligent.
TommyTheTremendous
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of TommyTheTremendous
Them: How did you do that?
Me: Very carefully.

I like these other ones you guys are coming up with. I am going to use some of them. Love the "I don't know. If you find out, tell me."

The kind of audience I loves is when someone asks "How do you do that?" and another person says "I don't want to know how it is done. It will spoil the fun." Gotta love those people!
- Tommy Magic
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Some of these stock replies are pretty cheesy don't you think? And nobody likes a smart alec.

I think we ought to be trying to be a bit more imaginative and intelligent in our patter, or else magic will get (arguably already is) stuck.

I'm aware that I'm not providing a useful answer, but I do think there's a problem.
Jolyon Jenkins
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
I think in Sankey's book Beyond Secrets he suggests that "It's Magic" is the best reply.
lane99
View Profile
Elite user
421 Posts

Profile of lane99
Rjenkins, you've hit the nail on the head. In spite of the fact that it's the conventional wisdom, the conventional wisdom is w-r-o-n-g in this case. Just because it's been said a million times, doesn't make it true. To all you magicians out there: let me kindly request...Don't be making any smart aleck remarks like "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you", or "Very well, don't you think?" when someone asks how it's done. Why do you guys think 80pct of the public runs for the hills whenever someone threatens to do a magic trick? It's because they don't like to be fooled once, and they don't like to get a sarcastic comment to boot.

In my opinion, the best answer is the one that I see has already been suggested: "It magic!" (said with a big friendly, infectious smile). There's a couple of reasons why I think this is a really effective response that gives a audience a good feeling (which is better than alienating them with a- truth be told- not so funny one-liner).

I might also mention that I think another example of conventional wisdom being wrong is that idea that people gonna be disappointed to find out a secret was really something very simple. Some surely would be (especially young children who actually believed it WAS done by some supernatural means). But if people have the slightest bit of imagination, they should be able to appreciate the elegance of being able to create a LARGE impression with a SMALL idea. E=mc2 is a very simple equation, but it don't think many people were disappointed to find that is what it all boiled down to. On the contrary, they're flabbers were completely gasted to find something so complex could be reduced to such simplicity.

Finally, I will mention that- if my understanding is correct- the origin of this thread had to do with how one would deal with this situation when performing for people whom you would be doing tricks for on a regular, on-going basis (family and friends). I believe it's even MORE important in this case, when dealing with "how did you do that" question NOT to make any sarcastic remarks. If you do, within the week you would have burned all your bridges.

For dealing with family/friends, I like acmp's idea: if they're really insistent, just show them a little trick or two. If that doesn't calm them down, I myself have found it's not the end of the world to actually explain the secret of one of Grade A tricks. My own is experience has been once you do that your regular spectators are going to be more relaxed, and later on they don't seem to have the same need to know the secret for future tricks.

My post is already long enough. So just to say time, I left out all the "in my humble opinion" disclaimer for every sentence. But, obviously, all the above is only just that. My opinions, that are subject to being wrong. Although at least I've strongly convinced MYSELF that they're right ;-)
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Yes, it is certainly harder with friends and family, who are in a position to carry on asking day after day how you did a trick. There is potential for quite bad feeling if you don't come up with a diplomatic solution. With my 7-year-old daughter I eventually tipped her the TT, on condition she appreciates it's a major secret; it defused an unpleasant situation and actually I can still use TT tricks on her without her realising. Likewise some coin sleights - you can reveal the secret and still carry on using them, if you're good enough. There are other secrets I won't tell. But I agree with lane99 it's not the end of the world to sometimes tell your nearest and dearest - it doesn't turn you into the masked magician.
Jolyon Jenkins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Keeping the secret (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL