The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » A risky offer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
My brother's girlfriend's little sister is having a birthday party this Saturday, and my brother was telling them that I was into magic. His girlfriend wants me to come and do a few tricks for her sister and her friends. I've met her sister before; she's a really sweet little girl. I think she's in about 4th grade. I just don't know if I could do any tricks that would really go over well. I thought about sponge balls, handkerchief through arm, maybe a dime/penny transposition in her hand. But really, since they're friends of the family, it makes me that much more nervous. If I end up doing any kind of show for them, I'd hate to leave them unimpressed with it. I'd feel like I was cheating them, sort of. It's not a definite thing that I'm going to do it anyway. They're just talking about it. Does anybody have any advice, maybe some good "colorful" looking sleight of hand tricks that I'm overlooking, or do you think I should just try to get out of it? If I could do something spiffy for her birthday, it'd be great, but I sure wouldn't want to be the bad magician who ruins the birthday. Especially not for her. It's sort of a precarious situation.

Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Wow...I could go off in numerous directions related to your post.

If you practiced a lot and are ready, you'll be fine, on the otherhand, it's a small group ideal for getting experience.

Sleight tricks for 4th graders can flop big time. This group's goal is to expose your magic. If it isn't in the right hand, it must be in the left. Avoid, these types or use it to your advantage. On the otherhand, the Miser's Dream which uses sleight of hand can be done and done well for this group. Choice of tricks makes a difference. Girls like colorful things.. silks and the like. A geni tube production or silk color changes, 20th century silks are also good.

For close up, there are numerous options, ready made easy to do tricks, are good. Remember, it's not the tricks as much as how they are presented. Humor and Comedy and Prop stuff works well with this age group. Have you heard of the floating Barbie Asrah doll trick?

If you set yourself up as one who is just learning magic, you may be forgiven if thing don't go as they should.

What is interesting is, I think, we all started this way.

Good Luck
Just my thoughts.
Dennis Michael
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
You should do it !!! Forever post away on message boards or become a performer!
Best of luck, let us know how it goes!

GlenD

I felt a need to follow up on my last message to you, Serling. So, here it goes...
I did'nt mean to sound harsh or abrasive, just wanted to offer STRONG encouragement so you won't have any regrets about passing up on something. You know you can do it, I believe you can do it, so I hope you go for it!
Cheers and take care,

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
The Miser's Dream, for sure.
Youngsters don't seem to think that you are a "real magician" until you pull a coin from behind their ears.
After that, you can (almost) do no wrong.
And GlenD's advice is worth heeding: Go for it!
So what if something doesn't go as it should? The only way to insure yourself against failure is to do nothing!
Remember, only YOU know what you are going to do so the outcome of any effect is (or should be) unknown to the audience. Smile
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Stick with no-passout effects that you know very well. Do the six that you can do with a blindfold on. Skip the other ones, and you will be confident enough to do a good job.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I hate to tell you guys this, after all your kind encouraging words, but it never materialized. I don't have a car yet, and nobody was going to drive me up there. I guess they just forgot about it or reconsidered. It never was clearly going to happen to begin with. Maybe another time.
It's sort of encouraging, though, that my brother's girlfriend's birthday is coming up not too long from now (I think it's October or November, can't remember exactly), and she said she thought it would be awesome - she's never seen any of my magic at all before. So there is hope.
:-)
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Hey thanks a bunch for sharing and getting back to us Serling, i was wondering how it turned out. But hey, dont feel bad. You will have other opportunities, maybe some that will feel more right too.
Take care and keep having fun.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Pretend it happened and do it for the neighboor hood kids! Practice is Practice!
Dennis Michael
Zorak
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland, USA
114 Posts

Profile of Zorak
I have found that doing magic for "a friend, or a friend of a friend", usually turns out bad. Even if you do all your "tricks" well, you are still "Billy" or what ever your real name is. This applies to family too. Especially if you have a big family...it will never end.
Like Rodney Dangerfield says "I get no respect". A prophet is not without honor except in his own home turf, and neither is a magician.
You would be better off if you told them you might bring a few pocket tricks with you. Perform them only when requested.
Do two at the most three effects and leave them wanting more, but do it informally. It will take the edge off of it for you and you won't seem like a show off or worse...a bore.
Good luck. Remember do only what you really KNOW. Smile
Magic is in the hearts of children from 1 to 101
Please check out my Website: kiddiekazam.com
FREE ORIGINAL CLIPART FOR MAGICIANS & CLOWNS
PROP DESIGNS
MAGIC CARTOONS all drawn by Zorak
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » A risky offer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL