The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Zombie Quiddich (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
I'm not sure if anyone has done this before but I performed at a nursery school yesterday, the same one my own kids attend. I knew they were all crazy about Harry Potter so I tried to add a new spin to some of my old stuff.
I told the kids I had managed to smuggle one of the quiddich flying balls (a bludger)out of hogwarts. I told them it was incredibly dangerous so no-one was to make any sudden moves. I then took out a steel box I had made- has a lock on the lid and a leather strap going around it. Inside I had my zombie already attached to the gimmick (on the outside of the box), this was made possible by a slit in the side of the box (hidden by a cloth and one of the straps). I took the box out and made some jerky movements as if the contents were trying to free themselves. I carefully opened the box and quickly covered the "bludger" with a cloth. I then went into a crazy zombie routine where the ball darted around and pulled me across the room. I even got in a few moves where it flew over the heads of a couple of the kids (fast enough for the secret to remain hidden). Eventually I got it under control and put it back in its box.
The impact was really good.
Simon
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
What a fabulous idea!!!
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Simon,

I'm impressed with your creativity and I'm sure the kids loved it! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Chrystal
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Check out the DVD #4 by Al Schneider (Stand-up Magic)on his zombie routine. With your presentation and some of the moves Al shows you, I can visualize a powerful routine here!
Dennis Michael
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Well done, Simon.
I'm only surprised that it took this long for someone to think of what strikes me as obvious (and struck me as obvious, when the first Potter book came out!)
But at least it has been done now.
Good on you!
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
Finally, a Zombie routine a kid can relate to!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I've had an old zombie case from abbotts for quite a few years and I've never put it to good use. The old oriental paint job was just a little too hokey.

But your routine really adds new life to the zombie case idea. Would you mind if I borrowed the idea to use in my shows?
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
Thank you for your comments, all of you.
Go right ahead and use it! I wouldn't have posted it here otherwise. JK Rowling may have an issue, but I don't.
I should have the photos up by the weekend so you can see the box. I think what makes it interesting is the fact that I lined the interior with foam and velvet, with a slot that matches the one on the outside. The nature of the foam is such that it pushes together around the gap, making the slot invisible if you want to show the inside of the box (with the ball in it or out). The straps on the outside enable you to show the box when it is closed, without fear of revealing the secret.
Simon
mcmc
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of mcmc
That sounds quite awesome. I love how you incorporated the cloth with a meaningful motivation.

I've been thinking about how to incorporate Harry Potter into my children's act without being too lame ('oh look here's my harry potter wand!'...and nothing else =); and this also solves the problem of motivation (why in the world would you have a silver ball float, and covered, no less? it should fly uncovered...)

Thanks!
mc
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
What a great surname you have Simon! I think I've seen a similar idea from a dealer over here, word gets around fast with dealers.
Matt
benscholz99
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of benscholz99
I can't wait to see the box photos!!!

Ben

P.S. Good job on being creative
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
Sorry guys, I've had a problem with my digital camera.
I should get it back tomorrow. I'll post the pictures then.
Matt, wonder if we're related? I was actually born up in Newcastle and moved here in 1974.
Simon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Zombie Quiddich (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL