The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Effects for a fast food walk-around situation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
I was called by the owner of a fast food restaurant, to audition for a weekly gig. I am experienced (30 yrs, 150 shows/per), but have never really done walk around in a restaurant (especially not a fast food one). Aside from sponge balls, and balloon animals, I am reticent to rely on my usual close up set, which relys mainly on card effects.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

David (FunN) Rosenberg
The Bonnie Kids
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden (Västerås)
267 Posts

Profile of The Bonnie Kids
I don't know...
I have also been asked for such type of show, always at fast food, but I have refused and we did "my show". I have the feeling that "walking around" you have to ask people "please, do you mind to have a look at me?" while they are eating or discussing or anyway while they are not there for you.
I did my show in a special room, with advertisement on th enewspaper. More than 80% were "interested audience", and if anyway they are not interested they just leave.
This is my experience.
Good luck!
/Andrea
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

As it will be walk a round you will have to watch your angles and need items where no reset is needed. You only need aprox 3 - 6 items for the entire gig.

When you approach a table at the required time (no food on the table) you should only show 1-2 effects and thank them for their time and go on to the next table.

The only thing you have to be aware of is if the other tables close by are watching you, then you switch to an effect they haven't seen performed at the other table. If you do too many items at one table you will a) run out of time before you've managed to circulate the entire restuarant b) run out of effects that the others haven't seen.

If you do need to go to the back to reset anything during the time you've been hired, it should be quick and try to do this as little as possible.

Some suggestions would be the coloring book which is really popular with children and needs no reset. In fact, you can have one table "make the colors appear" and the other table (especially if they were watching) make them "dissapear".

Another thing that came to mind, especially if the resturant is really open and many of the customers can view one another is Misers Dream. You can get a few chuckles running from one table to another - retrieving coins from above heads, behind ears, in front of them..you get the idea.

Once you've made the "rounds" you can always go back and do balloon animals - doing both magic and balloons at the same time is a bit difficult in my opinion.

Another important factor to keep in mind - try not to show all your items your first day. Remember if you do get this job - you may get the same customers week after week and they will always want to see new things occasionally.

Hope that helps and the best of luck with this gig!

Chrystal
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
Hello,
Great advice Chrystal. May I also suggest sponge balls and 3D bunnies... not used together at the same table, but if you get this gig weekly the next challenge is returning customers. Paddle tricks, Dice tricks, rubber band and rope magic all work well and take little room in pockets.
Also if your doing card tricks for little kids look for some kid cards. Teenagers will love card tricks. The old catch a ball in a bag trick with a sponge ball routine gives your sponge balls a new look.
Best of luck!
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
Thanks,

Some great ideas, which I will be able to put to use, since I nailed the gig. Now I HAVE TO WORK!!! Tuesdays and Wednesdays in 2 different locations, 1 hour each. I really like the paddle idea, since there are so many variations that can be used.
The kid's cards idea is good, but I have found that most decks which are made for kids are of such bad quality that it is hard to use them.

Thanks again...and keep those cards and letters coming!!

David (FunN) Rosenberg
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hey David,

Keep a couple of TT's in your pocket for Bill Switch, Vanishing Hankie, Vanishing and Reappearing Sugar or Salt, Vanishing Cigarette (if outdoor patio and they're allowed to smoke.) Professor's Nightmare is handy and will fit in your pocket.

Good luck with it!

Rob
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I disagree about the 3-6 minutes for the entire gig. Yeah, that'll cover you for the first night, but what do you do after that? The same people will be returning, and you'll need to keep fresh, new material in your rotation.

I've been doing restaurants for almost 20 years. I am currently in my 8th year at one, working "Kids' Night", so I know your audience.

Sponge balls are great. I do crayon tricks (check out cigarette manipulations, and do them with crayons), some card tricks like "Card Toon" are great. Rubber band tricks (see the Dan Harlan tapes), coin tricks (2 in the hand, one in the pocket ... coind across ... matrix), tricks with napkins. Packet tricks that you can do in your hand work well, especially if they use pictures rather than traditional cards. Rope tricks (Prof. Nightmare, knot tricks, etc.)

Good luck!
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Starrpower,

I believe you misread 3-6 mins for the entire gig I said 3-6 effects and to keep in mind repeat customers for that reason. It seems we're of the same mindset!

David - That's wonderful news concerning you got the job. Congratulations and best of luck each week!

Chrystal
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Hi David,

You said you enjoy cards, can you do an ambitious card routine. If so, this can be adapted for kids. I use it when doing any walkabout. I use a totally blank set of cards on both sides. Get the child to pick one, lot's of bit's of business here, they then draw a small picture on the card, and now do your normal ambitious card routine. When you finish it, sign the card and give it to them to keep.

I also use a miniture version of the colouring book, sponge balls, elastic bands, simple coin vanishing with a large chinese coin, and if there's teenagers, I'll do a couple 'normal' card routines. I also wear my balloon apron and make them a quick balloon each.

Most inportant is to avoid anything that needs to be reset. I never have a problem with approaching a table, just walk up and ask if they would like a balloon animal, I've never had anyone say no. 'Before I make you a balloon, would you like to see a fantastic magic trick?' that's all I say, and it works every time.
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
Again, thanks for all of the great tips. I'll keep you informed on how it goes. This Tuesday is the first night.
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
When you say "fast food" do you mean like Micky D's? or are you talking a "casual family resturant" ie- Denny's? Because if you are doing someting like Micky D's then there is no time when there is not food on the table as Crystal suggested. I hope its a "casual family resturant" because I couldn't imagine doing magic at a true fast food join. The people that frequient those places are looking to spend time with a magician. They come there to eat as quickly as possible and leave.
I just realized today is Wednesday. So, you've done your first gig already. How did it go?
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
Actually, my gig is in a Wendy's, and I'm pretty sure that the manager expects me to 'bring' in business on a normally slow night.

My first night is this coming Tuesday.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
On Daryl's Fooler Dooler series there is a very simple effect called "Instant Knot". This gets a great reaction and everyone likes to try it. Don't be fooled by it's simplicity. I've done loads of time in just the situation you've described.
Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Effects for a fast food walk-around situation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL