The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Explosion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
The question is not whether the trick is worth the money -- it probably is. Nor is the question whether the trick is expensive relative to other coin tricks -- that's irrelevant.

It's also probably true that a beginner COULD do this trick. For that matter, a beginner could also perform a $5,000 Asrah illusion or Houdini's Water Torture Cell if he/she put their mind to it. A beginning violinist could also practice on a Stradivarius, but does that make any sense for the student or the Strad? I don't think so.

Even if someone had $1,000 to spend on this one trick, in my view that would be a very inefficient way for a beginner to learn coin magic. For less than $100, you can acquire a Johnson ], a few C/S coins, a Scotch & Soda set and a hardcover copy of Bobo. If you can swing it, throw in Volume 1 of David Roth's "Expert Coin Magic" for another $30. This ought to keep any beginner busy for at least a year or two (while they're saving up to buy Explosion). And they will learn hundreds of coin effects, not just one or two.

Let's turn down the hype and turn up the common sense, guys. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Can you imagine the fun one could have when doing the gaddabout coins or the hopping half trick using Dean's method?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Seth... what if that "beginner" is a talented actor/performer with GREAT presentational chops?

He/she then takes a great item, like Explosion, gets proper tutoring (maybe visits Dean like many of his customers) and gets the work down pat and still doesn't know how to do a retention pass, a Goshman pinch or a French Drop... but can KILL with the Explosion.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I have seen one of our local coin guys Jason Dean share this routine several times. I believe it helped him win several magic contest including Ring 129 Close Up Magician of the Year 3 times.

He is pretty awesome with out the Explosion Set as well.

Me I am still doing Rick Johnson's Lid's Trick. (I call it the Wal-Mart or Miracle Whip Explosion.

Be safe and creative,

Happy HOYC.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I am not saying this is over priced by any means. Dean and Jamie create extremely high quality coins, and the trick IS fantastic. I am just saying that for a beginner might want to check into some of the more cheaper tricks, how do you know whether you are going to really stick with magic, and do it for quite a while. Plunking down this sum of money for *a fantastic trick* something you might not really be interested in, is just foolish. Though for someone interested in magic, I would recommend it.!
Rmax Goodwin
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Review: Kewl! Impressive!

Suitable for a beginner? Sure if they are okay spending over a grand.

How's that?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dean Dill
View Profile
1947 - 2015
248 Posts

Profile of Dean Dill
Well I might as well tell it like it is. I do not recommend this for a beginner. Period.

Dean Dill
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2004-12-09 15:13, Pete Biro wrote:
Seth... what if that "beginner" is a talented actor/performer with GREAT presentational chops?

Well, Pete, I suppose anything is possible, which is what I said before. However, I still think your hypothetical is pretty unusual -- your "if" is a pretty big "if"! I suspect that most of the beginners at the Café don't have that sort of running start, and are still learning how to do the moves and present the patter at the same time.

If I recall correctly, even David Copperfield said that he began with a "Miracle Coin Board" that he got from a pitchman in Macy's for $15. Great oaks grow from little acorns, as they say. <grin> SETH

Not to belabor this topic, but I had one more thought.

Let's suppose that our hypothetical supertalented beginner does learn this one trick, and kills with it.

What does he/she do when the awed spectators say "Hey that was really amazing, please do another one for us!" SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Thanks Dean!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Well I might as well tell it like it is. I do not recommend this for a beginner. Period.

Dean Dill

And there you have it...straight from the horse's mouth!

Mike
Fermata
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Fermata
I'm sorry if I came off as saying that the effect is too expensive.

That's not what I meant at all.

But that's a lot of money for a teenager.

Then again when you have a girlfriend.....money tends to disappear. Smile
MortonD
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of MortonD
You have a girlfriend? What are you doing messing around with magic and magicians?
Morty
Fermata
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Fermata
Quote:
On 2004-12-13 01:20, MortonD wrote:
You have a girlfriend? What are you doing messing around with magic and magicians?
Morty

An excellent question.

I also have magic as a hobby because it keeps me more poor, and therefore more humble.

Take care. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Explosion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL