The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Penn & Teller doing a birthday party on The West Wing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
At a Bartlet family birthday, Penn and Teller burn the American flag in the White House, prompting a publicity nightmare.

Watch it Wed nite.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
This sounds good, I'm not a big fan of the West Wing but I'm gonna check this out. Thanks.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I have never watched West Wing in my life, but I was flipping through and was lucky to catch the opening with Penn and Teller. I thought it was a great presentation. I liked how there were not really any cuts during the actual effect, that was a good move by the directors. I changed the channel after the opening.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Tysmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
171 Posts

Profile of Tysmagic
I whatched the West Wing the other day and saw Penn and Teller. I was quite amused. Very cool. Later they are shown as Penn juggles apples and Teller eats them. Strange idea for an episode, I see west wing often by the way.
TAOBMAETS 666 or 999 Steamboat
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
Just watched this episode on DVD.

Excellent idea. if they really burned the Flag in the Whitehouse then it's a scnadal (Even though it shouldn't be - whole point of the presentation was the freedom to do it is protected by the bill of rights).

For those who missed it they rolled the Bill of Rights into a Tube, placed the Flag inside. Added some other paper, and set it alight. There was a flash, and they unrolled to tube to show the Flag was gone, but the Bill of Rights was undamaged.

If it's just a trick and they didn't burn the flag then there's no problem. But being Magicians they won't expose the trick. (Lay audiences won't get the irony of P&T being the Magicians used for this episode).

It also raises the question of whether there's a difference between actually burning the flag and just appearing to burn it. After all a Flag is all about symbolism so does it really matter if they only symbolically burned it.

West Wing is excellent, but get your hand on seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. Season 2 was the best TV I've ever seen.

-MM
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Quote:
If it's just a trick and they didn't burn the flag then there's no problem. But being Magicians they won't expose the trick. (Lay audiences won't get the irony of P&T being the Magicians used for this episode).

As I'm not sure if even the magicians will get some of the irony, but actually they DO expose this trick during their show(which by the way is excellent and probably the best "big magic" show in vegas((though I'm still partial to Mac King's Afternoon Comedy Magic at Harrah's)), Check it out if you can)... They expose by doing the effect with a clear bill of rights, showing all the motions involved... pretty cool actually when matched up with the patter.

On a related note the silk vanish that Teller does as a throw away before the flag part of the effect is EXCELLENT and I'm still not 100% on what the heck he did, the vanish and appearence of confetti got me.(but hey I am a closeup guy, but even the miser's Dream really got me so that may not be it)
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Just reading that first post made me burst out laughing. Reminds me of a clip on Robert A. Wilson telling out of state cops to read the tenth amendment while eating a hash brownie during a hash brownie give-away (for ill people of many conditions) sponsored by the Californian government....
Now where's that?

Joe
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Penn & Teller doing a birthday party on The West Wing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL