The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Interaction between faith and kids parties (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Denia Bob
View Profile
New user
Denia, Costa Blanca, Espana
7 Posts

Profile of Denia Bob
Hi, I read your notes with great interest. I used to be a semi-pro entertainer in Leeds UK and have lived in Spain for 5 yrs now. My problem is that, even though I am of Spanish descent I can hardly speak the lingo so I've been heading to the British areas for seasonal work. In my town I see a great Christian and Muslim presence. I have already purchased magical artifacts from Valencia with Christian themes. I know that some of you American guys live in deeply religious environments and wonder how you combine the two. Sorry to go on but I would deeply like to connect with my own people and heritage.

Bob
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I don't and never will.

Yes, there are deeply religious people here in the U.S., but,
1) you never know what their faith is,
and
2) they could just as easily hold deep athiest convictions.

Unless you're hired specifically by a religious group, and asked to present magic with a religious message, I would stay away from it. You'll likely offend someone. Just do a great show and you'll make people happy. Personally (and this is coming from a Christian) I would feel uncomfortable if someone started performing religious magic at a secular event.
Denia Bob
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Denia Bob
Thank you starpower. You speak words of wisdom. I must discuss some of the artifacts I have in the near future.

Bob.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Of course, your beliefs will always inform your life, actions and shows even if you try hard not to mention them out loud!
PROFED
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago,Illinois
229 Posts

Profile of PROFED
Did you check the good news section above?
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I agree with Star. I never try to push my religion on any audience that I am performing for even thought I am a deeply devoted christian man.

I do offer christian and church style shows and I market them a different way. But when they hire me, they know that part of my show will be a deeply devoted magical representation of how god has changed my life and can change theirs. They know this up front going in and so I get approval first so there are never any suprises. It has always gone over well.

If I am working my standard shows of b-day parties and of festivals, I stay away from this. I do not want to offend anyones beliefs or force mine upon them. Instead I carry myself with dignity and treat everyone on stage with respect.

I set an example through my actions. So in a sense I convey certain things like be kind to your neighbors, treat people the way you want to be treated etc. But, I do not hit them over the head with it. Through my show and through my actions they get to see this just from how I conduct myself.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Denia Bob
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Denia Bob
In Spain there is a fascnation with the bizarre.My town has a fiesta like many others where huge religious and sexual images are constructed paradedand burned. I found this asesinato san sebastian trick which is basically a forgetful freddie routine. The children throws straws indicating arrows at San Sebastian. He loses his head and it appears in a balloon having been sanctified. I have used this on British holiday children and they have responded well although parents seem bemused. I just want to contact with my people for the short time we have left.

Bob
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I've been to one or two of these events too Bob. Religious festivals that are fun because of the party atmosphere.

Don't know whether I'd dare use this version of Forgetful Freddie though! Don't want to be insensitive but what's the "short time we have left"?

Tony.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Don't want to presume to speak for Denia Bob, but Will Rogers said "We are all here for a spell; get all the good laughs you can."
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Bob,

I'm sure you're in the best position to view how this type of magic will be viewed in your town. You may want to check out the Gospel Magic Forum at the Café for more ideas.

As for myself, I too stay away from any religious comments and have performed at many churches of all denominations.

Good Luck!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Interaction between faith and kids parties (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL