The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Would this be interesting? Please read. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
You might know me from my posts here or from the cards I make and sell. Anyway ... I would like to introduce something I am thinking of and maybe will be manufacturing in the near future.

But first read my little description here:

Performer removes an odd colored deck of cards; lets say it has all green backs.

... if you are normally using blue backed cards, take a red one then. Or if you use red ones, take a black backed one (my favorite ones ;-) ) or if you use Tally Ho's then take any Rider Back one.

So, remove the deck, show all 52 cards by fanning or spreading or even showing each single card fairly front and back.

Do a little mentalism and look into you spectators eyes. Select one card. Show it - front and back. One card. Fairly shown! Say that this card will be your prediction. Place it face-up onto the table. The spectator may cover it with his/her hand.

Put the rest of the odd-backed deck beside - it is not needed anymore.

Remove one of you standard decks (really one of YOUR decks, gaffed, stacked or anything else OR not).

Let the spectator choose ANY card from the face down deck. Any card, no force in any way!

Put this card onto the table, face down.

Now you got 2 cards on the table, one you chose and one which was chosen freely by the spectator.

Say: "THESE 2 CARDS WILL MATCH"

Let the spectator take their chosen card - e.g. a 3 of clubs (with the back-design of your regular deck, let's say BLUE.) and then let compare it to the card that YOU have chosen before and which was covered the whole time by the spectators hand ... sad, a 10 of diamonds. No luck, ... so far.

But wait; let him/her turn over the card (was a green backed one, wasn't it?) and VOILÀ the color of the back matches YOUR prediction. It has changed to blue! (or red or black or Tally Ho, whatever you use on a regular basis).

Remember: the spectator handles your chosen card from that time it was placed on the table - and you have shown the front AND the odd back of that card.

It's hard to describe, as being not a native US or UK speaker. And it's hard to describe, that my spectators were a little shocked, when they turned the card over.

This is tested with some few people and I wasn't caught - though I had to be careful with that special card. But the whole presentation needs still much work. The special card needs no more work - I think.

So I'd like to get some comments on that and ... maybe beta testers and "big magic names" to publish that one. ??? Ya' know?

Thank you for your interest so far.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
Sounds very good indeed. I guess it depends on how special that special card is, it may require a lot of audience management which often scares the daylight out of magicians.

It is great to see Europeans coming up with some excellent stuff. Do you have a videoclip coming? I would love to see this.

Congratulations,
Pekka
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
2 things:

1: Is this similer to an acrobatic or perhaps BA card principles?

2: This will get magicians for sure, but for a lay audience there are two problems... One is that if you set it as a prediction, they will think of it as such. The backs would have matched no matter what card they picked at the end, so in a sense(emotionally and not intellectually) they might feel you have failed to get the card right.

Also, people react much worse to backs changing than fronts, check out thinks like mexican revolution vs. jaywalk(same trick basically except the backs change in one, but the other the fronts change). Even though magicians like the back changing one because it is more subtle and "clean", laymen prefer the front changing because it has more impact to them, they really don't care about the backs at all.

Anyway, just a thought, but instead of the back changing, could instead the front change to a force card, and then you just have to force one later on?

I think having such a clean change of the value would be more shocking, even if you had to force it....
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
@Pekka

I will think of making a video. Will take some time and I need public hosting space then.

@Daegs

Sure it is an acrobatic card, what else ;-)
But it is still one card .... thick, bendable as a regular one and locking.
Changing fronts is released by Rob Bromleys FLASH CHANGING CARD; but my version needs no "flash".
Playing with this item, I think more ideas will come to it. Not just as a "backs" prediction.
It is also possible that not the color of the back changes, but the real prediction appears written on the back - there are severeal ways to "make the card".
I am gathering ideas here.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Intresting..... keep us posted Smile
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Sounds good, but I don't know how comfortable I would be witha gaff under her hand.

Solution: You have one normal card (which is under her hand), the others are all acrobatic. You deal the cards one at a time to the table (the magic happens), and the cards have a different back design!

Owen
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Tony Binarelli has a nice item in "Class Act" called "The Truly Ultimate Open Prediction" where a prediction card with a red back is tabled. The spec then freely chooses a card from a blue deck. The choice can be made face up. The two cards match.

I think this is more satisfying to the audience than that they don't match but then the backs match.

Wouldn't a non gaffed method be nearly as effective? You could simply steal out a blue card from your working deck and add it to a red deck. Now take the red deck and show as all red, simply hiding the extra blue card. A double lift will let you show both sides of your prediction card. The specs think it has a red back. Now you table it FU and the specs are unaware that the back is blue....

I would try to think of other uses for the gaff. Maybe it could be used for a color changing deck etc...

Mike
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
And of course if anyone remembers Nick Trost's Mini Maze, first the back matched and the faces didn't, then the face changed to match to make the prediction complete. Prediction was in an envelope thoough, and choice was from six mini cards each with different colored backs.

Paul.
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
It also reminds me of Paul Richards "White Bikes." A red prediction card is placed face down. A blue backed deck is spread face up. A card is selected. The faces match, then the backs are shown to match. Then as a kicker the reast of the deck is shown to be blank.
-Chris
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The first sequence is a coincidence, the second... odd and the third coudld make them think you are "clever", which is not a nice word.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Would this be interesting? Please read. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL